udonmap.com

Re: Udon Traffic

Post by jackspratt » June 4, 2021, 10:45 am

On the question of "undertaking";
Section 45. No driver shall overtake other conveyance by the left
side of the overtaken conveyance, except in the following cases:
(1) the conveyance which is going to be overtaken is turning right, or
gives right turning signal;
(2) such road is divided into two or more lanes of the same direction.
The overtaking by the left side of the overtaken conveyance under (1)
or (2) may be done only when there is no other conveyance following behind
taken from here: https://web.krisdika.go.th/data/outsite ... (1979).pdf

I note that it is from the Road Traffic Act of 1979.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » June 4, 2021, 11:09 am

jackspratt wrote:
June 4, 2021, 10:45 am
On the question of "undertaking";
Section 45. No driver shall overtake other conveyance by the left
side of the overtaken conveyance, except in the following cases:
(1) the conveyance which is going to be overtaken is turning right, or
gives right turning signal;
(2) such road is divided into two or more lanes of the same direction.
The overtaking by the left side of the overtaken conveyance under (1)
or (2) may be done only when there is no other conveyance following behind
taken from here: https://web.krisdika.go.th/data/outsite ... (1979).pdf

I note that it is from the Road Traffic Act of 1979.
Imagine the traffic hold ups if one did not undertake in some instances .. stuck behind an old un roadworthy un lit sugar cane truck or Harry Slowman with no where to go .. Sunday drivers .. the list is endless..i will take my chances and undertake when nessesary.

Jack .. im guessing there may have been some changes in the last 52 years.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » June 4, 2021, 11:42 am

They’re all turning right when I pass on the inside so it’s all good. Just not always indicating which I can’t do anything about
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 4, 2021, 11:58 am

Niggly wrote:
June 4, 2021, 11:42 am
They’re all turning right when I pass on the inside so it’s all good. Just not always indicating which I can’t do anything about
Only works if there is a Right turn in the near vicinity though

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » June 4, 2021, 12:01 pm

How many Cops have you seen to enforce???

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » June 4, 2021, 12:39 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
June 4, 2021, 11:58 am
Niggly wrote:
June 4, 2021, 11:42 am
Only works if there is a Right turn in the near vicinity though
Nah, plenty of slowcoaches pull across waaaay before their intended turn
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » June 4, 2021, 12:43 pm

Doodoo wrote:
June 4, 2021, 12:01 pm
How many Cops have you seen to enforce???
IMO ..whether its checking tax disc , mask wearing , red light jumping or helmets for motorcyclists in general out n about around Udon and amid numerous road construction zones the BIB are still at more locations more regularly than ... lets say 3 4 or 5 months ago.

I dread to think how long it would take me to drive to Bkk if i didnt undertake ..

DM

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 4, 2021, 2:38 pm

I pass by a checkpoint at kilo 13 (Udon-Nongwahsaw) about 5 times a week and a few more on my way into town around kilo 9 a few times a week and another just before Nongwahsaw on occasion........never stopped for mask (I don't wear one when I drive) or anything else, for that matter.
In the two months since I've returned, I have noticed lots more wheel locks around Udon......in places where I never saw them before. Most of the time the vehicle is stopped in a red-painted zone, bus zone, or double parked.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » June 4, 2021, 3:33 pm

parrot wrote:
June 4, 2021, 2:38 pm
I pass by a checkpoint at kilo 13 (Udon-Nongwahsaw) about 5 times a week and a few more on my way into town around kilo 9 a few times a week and another just before Nongwahsaw on occasion........never stopped for mask (I don't wear one when I drive) or anything else, for that matter.
In the two months since I've returned, I have noticed lots more wheel locks around Udon......in places where I never saw them before. Most of the time the vehicle is stopped in a red-painted zone, bus zone, or double parked.
Correct Mr P .. wheel clamping is now the BIB favourite method of cash extraction ..10 quid / 400 bt a go , they leave documents stuck on the vehicle window and door handle that need presenting at the nearest police station , once paid within a few minutes an officer attends on motorsai with top box to remove the clamp... if the clamp is damaged in an attempt to remove it the fine increases to 4000 bt

As info only

DM

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 5, 2021, 7:58 am

They are seemingly cracking on , on the Bypass from Bic C to Global. A nightmare made worse by lack of thought, however waiting for the disruption when they get to the major junction at Big C . Already planned routes to avoid the chaos, although in truth some places will be hard to get to even then

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » June 5, 2021, 8:12 am

Khun Paul wrote:
June 5, 2021, 7:58 am
They are seemingly cracking on , on the East side Bypass from Bic C to Global. A nightmare made worse by lack of thought, however waiting for the disruption when they get to the major junction at Big C . Already planned routes to avoid the chaos, although in truth some places will be hard to get to even then
No such problems here on the West Side as looking good for completion in July (no exact date) weather permitting .. by that all the new road surfaces laid and passable just the finishing touches like new paved paths and islands etc... to date i have not seem one traffic hold up during the whole project which is now in its 3 rd month so im guessing it has been well though out and planned to a T =D> =D> =D>

As ever seems the more well healed afflatulent West side is one step ahead of the rather bedraggled East. :lol:

DM

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » June 5, 2021, 8:43 am

Certainly the detailed planning on the East ring road improvements leaves a lot to be desired. Yesterday as i turned left onto the ring road from the school just North of the BigC junction, i was faced with a new concrete road with metal spikes sticking out across the one and only lane. No sign until you got there! Then i knew why i saw and swore at the pickup truck reversing back up the lane just before i turned!

Other news - the Sam Prao junction fountain/swamp seems to have dried up and been filled in. Whether it stays that way i wouldn't like to bet on.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 5, 2021, 9:24 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
June 5, 2021, 8:12 am
Khun Paul wrote:
They are seemingly cracking on , on the East side Bypass from Bic C to Global. A nightmare made worse by lack of thought, however waiting for the disruption when they get to the major junction at Big C . Already planned routes to avoid the chaos, although in truth some places will be hard to get to even then
No such problems here on the West Side as looking good for completion in July (no exact date) weather permitting .. by that all the new road surfaces laid and passable just the finishing touches like new paved paths and islands etc... to date i have not seem one traffic hold up during the whole project which is now in its 3 rd month so im guessing it has been well though out and planned to a T =D> =D> =D>

As ever seems the more well healed afflatulent West side is one step ahead of the rather bedraggled East. :lol:

DM
Although I smile at your comment, I think the sheer volume of traffic shows ujs that the so-called poor East side is under greater pressure . BTW there are more POOR households on the west side as it is under-developed generally .

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 5, 2021, 9:31 am

Khun Paul wrote:
They are seemingly cracking on , on the Bypass from Bic C to Global. A nightmare made worse by lack of thought, however waiting for the disruption when they get to the major junction at Big C . Already planned routes to avoid the chaos, although in truth some places will be hard to get to even then
AFAIK, there's no published schedule of work for ring-road widening south of the Nittayo flyover so the widening of the north side junction to match the new 3-lanes will be a comparative piece of piss IMHO.

North of Nitayo, it looks like both north and south bound lanes have been mostly expanded to 2 on the newly-laid concrete from (almost) Nittayo to the Nong Bua/Nong Sai lights. They are now ripping the existing nearside lane and hard shoulder to make the third lane. The traffic bottleneck has mostly migrated to the bit between the Nong Bua/Nong Sai lights and the Global ones. Last week, north of Global, I did see some concrete form work being poured across the top of the piling for the new 3-lane bridge just past the PTT and next to the chicane.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » June 15, 2021, 7:59 am

Can definately tell schools are back open as the traffic level has increased at Udons premier intersection .. so im guessing roads in town will be busier as well.. back to avoiding those rush hour traffic times again.

Still no real hold ups despite the on going AP/RR junction makeover... and good news is after 3 days of being trapped due to no car /truck exit or access we now have a temp stone ramp making it possible to venture out ..which is great as my fridge is empty.

As info .. 4 new concrete lanes laid on the inbound Tap side and 3 on the Nong Hin school outbound side .. if i was abetting man i would say this project may run over time into August.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » June 15, 2021, 8:06 am

traffic mad in town 7am , just took 1 hour to get back from makro to hansa
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » June 15, 2021, 10:58 am

Traffic was somewhat better today on the school run to St Mary's, only took 20 minutes (about 5 more than usual). Coming back traffic was no problem - but the road was! Our entry point to the ring road was only 2 metres of hard shoulder, lined with the protruding metal spikes on the left side. Had to go about 200 metres up this to an access point onto the new concrete surface.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 15, 2021, 2:12 pm

Since I am behind enemy lines now, I would appreciate any progress reports on the eastern ring road. Mrs tam is now doing the school runs along with one of her nieces so updates will give me an idea on what they're facing.

Ta
tam

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » June 15, 2021, 3:59 pm

2 accidents today - one at global ( cement mixer truck rearended car) but that didn't affect traffic to much other at indexblocked road and caused tailback at tbe temporary u-turn further down (as only onelane southbound at that point. They have upped the pace a bit on the concrete surfacing but this means a lot of lane swapping getti ng from A to B.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » June 15, 2021, 4:52 pm

tamada wrote:
June 15, 2021, 2:12 pm
Since I am behind enemy lines now, I would appreciate any progress reports on the eastern ring road. Mrs tam is now doing the school runs along with one of her nieces so updates will give me an idea on what they're facing.

Ta
tam
Tam being as you are going commando if the niece needs any pointers on navigating the roads refer her to uncle DM .. i can take her down the woods for some in depth 3 point turns , parking and topless ironing practice..

BTW .. I used the Eastern ring road today .. i wanted to go to the pool and paint shops opposite Global ... i can confirm the section from Big C flyover thru Nong Sai lights to Global lights is a disaster zone more or less single lane except for the shysters squeezing up the outside at every opportunity .. looked like a scene from the movie Shaving Ryans Privates .. and the use of the gold plated concrete layer must of back fired if its down to saving labour costs as one guy was driving and another 20 watching... avoid this area if at all possible.

Also the stretch Ud town over the railway lines heading towards Makro was also very busy .. 3 light changes to get thru mid morning.

All my calls n jobs done now back to the much more hassle free posh West side .. where the 8 strong team of manual concrete layers are on full steam ahead and traffic hold ups are no where to be seen. =D> =D>

DM

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”