newtovillagelife wrote:
November 28, 2019, 7:30 am
Kenr6583 wrote:
November 28, 2019, 7:26 am
newtovillagelife wrote:
November 28, 2019, 7:14 am
johanthomsen wrote:
November 28, 2019, 5:04 am
I think those numbers are completely out of proportions... For an american or european perhaps, but absolutely not for indians and chinese in average...
Maybe so, but there is an exponentially growing middle class in these countries, with cash to spend. Asia is in its economic infancy, while the West is waning....changing of the guard is hard to swallow sometimes.
After thinking about these extremely high figures, it is possibility that if they are spending this amount, it's probably not towards the Thai economy. If you notice the Chinese, you can usually see that they dress well and are dressed in the latest fashions. The Indians, seems to me, tend to lean towards higher end watches and jewelry. Because one thing I do not see is either culture sitting at the bars hours on end. So it is probably the fashion malls that see their money. Just speculating.
Well if they are spending the money in the malls, the Thai economy would still be benefiting??????
I'm not saying that you're wrong, in fact you may be spot-on, but I look at it differently. People who work in the mall usually work for corporations and sell product that's not manufactured in Thailand or by the Thai community, i.e. Coach, Cartier, etc. This may sound stupid but if I need a shirt or sandals, I will go to a night market or Mom and Pop shop over the mall not because of the price, because the price differential is not that much different and the quality is probably better at the mall, but because I know the money will go in their pocket. The same goes for food, because I do love some of the barbecue places inside the mall, but me personally, I feel better thinking I am helping support a family business. I know this may sound silly and naive, but it is what it is.
However spending money at the local market, or on ***** and alcohol basically feeds the underground economy...cash only businesses, or persons that pay little to no tax.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: Thais NOT spending

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 28, 2019, 8:22 am

Heres another link .. more or less confirming the last .. another irganization .. stating again how bad the situation is not only in Patts but the ehole if Thailand with many travelors choosing Vietnam ..

Also reiterating the i dian average spend figures which i in my experience there find astonishing ..at 10k AVERAGE per person per day

Anyway heres the latest link

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/113593 ... n-decline/

Dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 28, 2019, 8:30 am

newtovillagelife wrote:
November 28, 2019, 8:02 am
Kenr6583 wrote:
November 28, 2019, 7:50 am
newtovillagelife wrote:
Kenr6583 wrote:
newtovillagelife wrote:
johanthomsen wrote:
I think those numbers are completely out of proportions... For an american or european perhaps, but absolutely not for indians and chinese in average...
Maybe so, but there is an exponentially growing middle class in these countries, with cash to spend. Asia is in its economic infancy, while the West is waning....changing of the guard is hard to swallow sometimes.
After thinking about these extremely high figures, it is possibility that if they are spending this amount, it's probably not towards the Thai economy. If you notice the Chinese, you can usually see that they dress well and are dressed in the latest fashions. The Indians, seems to me, tend to lean towards higher end watches and jewelry. Because one thing I do not see is either culture sitting at the bars hours on end. So it is probably the fashion malls that see their money. Just speculating.
Well if they are spending the money in the malls, the Thai economy would still be benefiting??????
I'm not saying that you're wrong, in fact you may be spot-on, but I look at it differently. People who work in the mall usually work for corporations and sell product that's not manufactured in Thailand or by the Thai community, i.e. Coach, Cartier, etc. This may sound stupid but if I need a shirt or sandals, I will go to a night market or Mom and Pop shop over the mall not because of the price, because the price differential is not that much different and the quality is probably better at the mall, but because I know the money will go in their pocket. The same goes for food, because I do love some of the barbecue places inside the mall, but me personally, I feel better thinking I am helping support a family business. I know this may sound silly and naive, but it is what it is.
However spending money at the local market, or on ***** and alcohol basically feeds the underground economy...cash only businesses, or persons that pay little to no tax.
You're 100% correct. But at the same time, it gives them money to spend on their economy for their needs. Like I said I might be naive by the way I am thinking, but the taxes paid by these foreign entities to the Thai government for what they sell doesn't seem to help the infrastructure in many of the congested parts of Thailand. I understand all of these developing countries in Southeast Asiadon't have a tax code as complicated as Western countries. From what I have read and am to understand is the Thai government does not use these funds they collect on taxes for the people anyway.

Anyway, I guess my earlier comment kind of got us sidetracked. My apologies. I will choose my wordings better next time.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 28, 2019, 8:48 am

Including the hotel costs , food, beverage , excursions , n anything else i just cant see anyone blowing an average of 10k.per day everyday in fun city .. ..if i recall.correctly most of the indian tourists DIDNT stay at yhe higher end hotels more the budget and middle ground places so.leaves an awful.lot of money to.be spent on enjoying themselves in other ways .

In my bar days we had the odd customer who would go crazy ringing bells n splashing the cash .. BUT never indian or chinese only Europeans Aussies n Americans n this is going back the best part of 15 yrs .. maybe im.out of touch and the Indians do come and spend spend spend .

Dm.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 28, 2019, 9:07 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
November 28, 2019, 8:48 am
Including the hotel costs , food, beverage , excursions , n anything else i just cant see anyone blowing an average of 10k.per day everyday in fun city .. ..if i recall.correctly most of the indian tourists DIDNT stay at yhe higher end hotels more the budget and middle ground places so.leaves an awful.lot of money to.be spent on enjoying themselves in other ways .

In my bar days we had the odd customer who would go crazy ringing bells n splashing the cash .. BUT never indian or chinese only Europeans Aussies n Americans n this is going back the best part of 15 yrs .. maybe im.out of touch and the Indians do come and spend spend spend .

Dm.
The last time I was there, which was my first time to see Pattaya, there were six to seven Indians that came into a bar and sat down. I remember only two of them ordered drinks, after those two finished drinking, they all got up and left. I witnessed this type of action on more than one occasion. And to be perfectly honest with you, I do not recall any Chinese individuals or groups sitting in a bar drinking. But then again, I only went down to Walking Street once, I mostly hung around the LK metro area.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 28, 2019, 9:10 am

I will say this though, if it is true that these groups are spending this kind of money, I guess Thailand does not need the Western tourist any longer.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 28, 2019, 10:08 am

Kenr6583 wrote:
November 28, 2019, 9:10 am
I will say this though, if it is true that these groups are spending this kind of money, I guess Thailand does not need the Western tourist any longer.
Maybe not but the lasses purveying thiervtrade in fun city most certainly do ..as do the isaan families they support .

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 28, 2019, 10:15 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
November 28, 2019, 10:08 am
Kenr6583 wrote:
Maybe not but the lasses purveying thiervtrade in fun city most certainly do ..as do the isaan families they support .
Kind of have a feeling that's the directions to Thai government wants anyways. Always reading how they want to change their image.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 28, 2019, 11:03 am

newtovillagelife wrote:
Kenr6583 wrote:
newtovillagelife wrote:
johanthomsen wrote:
Have you checked out the latest financial statements of the mall owners, Central, Minor Holdings, The Mall Group, LH Financial Group and the like? I mean if you can afford to buy the ground from under the British Embassy, you must be worth a few bob. no? The Thai's love their malls and the more exclusive and upmarket they appear to be, even more so. The moneyed Indians and Chinese have no problems wandering around in them either.

With regard to the Thai economy benefiting, since most of these mall-owning entities are simply vehicles for certain extremely rich and well-entitled Thai families, I am not sure if anyone in Thai government is going to bother to see their latest, independently audited balance books to see exactly how much is going in the public purse.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 28, 2019, 11:05 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
Kenr6583 wrote:
A singular business model that is long past it's sell-by date in all aspects including the goods.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 28, 2019, 11:28 am

I'm sure that those making the decisions are really concerned about the changes to the nationalities visiting LOS. Lets face it so long as there are some tourists paying their travel companies, filling the rooms in their hotel chains and joining their pre booked and pre paid tour buses (stopping only at their organised restaurant/tourist shops), why would they care if Somchai only rents one bike in a week or his wifes noodle stand has no trade and his brothers bar/restaurant is losing money

Raoul Duke
udonmap.com

Post by Raoul Duke » November 28, 2019, 12:14 pm

tamada wrote:
November 27, 2019, 7:29 pm
Have they downsized their floor space yet like many flagship Tesco-Lotus branches nationwide have done?
Yes,and one of those DIY stores (which also appears to have customers in it all the time)opened up in the space they reduced.
Voiceover for hire.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 28, 2019, 12:22 pm

Raoul Duke wrote:
November 28, 2019, 12:14 pm
tamada wrote:
November 27, 2019, 7:29 pm
Have they downsized their floor space yet like many flagship Tesco-Lotus branches nationwide have done?
Yes,and one of those DIY stores (which also appears to have customers in it all the time)opened up in the space they reduced.
The two Mr D.I.Y. outlets in Udon and the one in Nong Han are also comparatively busy. They're almost like the US's Dollar Stores without the food and toiletries.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » November 28, 2019, 12:22 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
November 27, 2019, 8:36 pm
I read today from.the TAT .. latest tourist info .. i think the official.must have been to.the Diane Abbot school.of Mathematics .

Indians visting Thailand spend double that of the Chinese .. per heas per day if this can be believed or fact checked by mr Tam ..

Average per person per day ???? Really

Indians 10, 000 bt
Chinese 5,000 bt

Link to.follow

Dm.
The TAT have apologized for this mistake and say that a junior clerk meant to say Lao Kip and not Thai baht in the daily average figures.

Indians 10,000 baht a day... it's possible as the total for a group of 30 of them if they share food and drink and just one woman between them.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Raoul Duke
udonmap.com

Post by Raoul Duke » November 28, 2019, 12:31 pm

tamada wrote:
November 28, 2019, 12:22 pm
The two Mr D.I.Y. outlets in Udon and the one in Nong Han are also comparatively busy. They're almost like the US's Dollar Stores without the food and toiletries.
I noticed one has opened up at The Udon fresh veg and fruit market as well.I enjoy pottering around in them.
Voiceover for hire.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 28, 2019, 12:32 pm

<wrong forum - deleted>
Last edited by tamada on November 28, 2019, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 28, 2019, 12:35 pm

Raoul Duke wrote:
November 28, 2019, 12:31 pm
tamada wrote:
I noticed one has opened up at The Udon fresh veg and fruit market as well.I enjoy pottering around in them.
Aha! Good find sir. That means there's 3 of them in Udon now? I agree they're pretty good and there's always something to be had for pennies. No two branches seem to have exactly the same product lines either.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » November 28, 2019, 2:12 pm

Zidane wrote:
Drunk Monkey wrote:
November 27, 2019, 8:36 pm
I read today from.the TAT .. latest tourist info .. i think the official.must have been to.the Diane Abbot school.of Mathematics .

Indians visting Thailand spend double that of the Chinese .. per heas per day if this can be believed or fact checked by mr Tam ..

Average per person per day ???? Really

Indians 10, 000 bt
Chinese 5,000 bt

Link to.follow

Dm.
The TAT have apologized for this mistake and say that a junior clerk meant to say Lao Kip and not Thai baht in the daily average figures.

Indians 10,000 baht a day... it's possible as the total for a group of 30 of them if they share food and drink and just one woman between them.
10,000 Lao kip makes no sense either . Thats like what , 35 Baht a day .
Tell lies , get caught out , blame a junior clerk , and tell more lies that make less sense than the original lie .
You just gotta love the Thai government . Who pays these monkeys [-X [-X

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » November 28, 2019, 2:14 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
Kenr6583 wrote:
Are you saying only White Tourists support the trade.....I guess they are the gullible ones????

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » November 28, 2019, 2:24 pm

If they are spending that sort of money , im Santa Claus . All bull !!!!!

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”