Mandatory health insurance for Non O-A visa effective from 31 October

General Udon Thani topics only!
samuel
udonmap.com

Re: Mandatory health insurance for Non O-A visa effective from 31 October

Post by samuel » October 29, 2019, 8:08 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
October 29, 2019, 7:05 pm
The first thing you need to do is for your wife to exit thailand on her U.S. passport by air and return using her Thai passport. It must be by air as you cannot change passports on a land border.
Your wife has to be in Thailand using her Thai citizenship for you to get an extension based on marriage to a Thai national.
Once she has done that the marriage documents needed depend on where you were married.
never ever heard of this that the dual passport holding thai wife has to be in Thailand under thai passport while her foreign husband is applying for extension based on marriage. her thai id and blue housebook will do the job.

but in fact i don't see any benefit for a dual passport holding thai wife to stay in thailand under her foreign passport.
she will have to do the 90 days reports and the yearly extension of stay as well - and not to forget TM30.
so what's the benefit?

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » October 29, 2019, 9:49 pm

Barney wrote:
October 29, 2019, 12:20 pm
For those interested in the Thai insurance companies that can provide long visa stay insurance are listed below. The embassy link was on my previous post. This is straight of the Thai embassy Sydney visa application website. Insurance requirement for O-A visa applications after 31 October 2019.
https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

Websites below some with policies and costs. Some even cover up to 90 age group on individual review after 70's.
Have a long look and take you pick which ever suits.

https://www.aetna.co.th/en/long-stay-visa/
https://www.asiainsurance.co.th/en/prod ... insurance/
https://www.thaihealth.co.th/2012/produ ... hy_eng.php
https://www.navakij.co.th/page/88?lang=EN
https://www.thaivivat.co.th/non-immigrant/
https://www.axa.co.th/SmartCare-Executi ... -Stay-Visa
https://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/en/h ... stay-visa/
https://www.viriyah.co.th/en/longstay-f ... bfF17BWGHs
https://www.lmginsurance.co.th/en/Produ ... eries.aspx
https://www.sompo.co.th/
https://www.tipinsure.com/
https://www.falconinsurance.co.th/index ... ck-product
Hi Barney,

I contacted two of them.I am 63. For the minimum Long Stay Coverage (as prescribed by the New Thai Law), which is IPD 400,000 and OPD 45,000

A...A Long Stay Visa Plan 1: Yearly Premium of TB 47,585 PA and they say this is with a 20% Discount for the first year, which only suggests it will increase by that 20% to TB 57,102 in the second year. All applicants over 60 must go for a Medical before it will be approved, but they don"t say where one has to go. The AXA Long Stay Visa Plan 3, option of IPD 600,000 and OPD 45,000 is TB 72,151 (with that 20% Discount for the first year only)

Ae..a: They only accept for a person between the age of 50 and 65. For a person aged 60-65 for Hospital & Medical Long Stay 1350, they have 3 Plans (Ruby 08, Emerald 08 and Diamond 08), with Yearly Premiums of TB 53,028, TB 63,240 and TB 73,572, respectively, They will also let you pay by the month, without any added penalty cost, Problem is they will not cover you after you are 65 Years old :-$ :-$

The long and the short of it is

1. Who if any of these Companies will cover you after your are older than 65 Years of age?
2. For those in the 60 -65 year range you are looking at TB 53,000 to 57,000 per Year for the basis minimum cover, required by the Long Stay Visa Law?

It does look like any of these Insurance Companies or in particular these two, have signed up to any set of Criteria/Standards set by the Thai Government. Rather the Insurance Companies are just setting their own rules for coverage and limitations of it :-k :-k

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 29, 2019, 11:34 pm

samuel wrote:
October 29, 2019, 8:08 pm
never ever heard of this that the dual passport holding thai wife has to be in Thailand under thai passport while her foreign husband is applying for extension based on marriage. her thai id and blue housebook will do the job.

but in fact i don't see any benefit for a dual passport holding thai wife to stay in thailand under her foreign passport.
she will have to do the 90 days reports and the yearly extension of stay as well - and not to forget TM30.
so what's the benefit?
That was the information I was given by an IO. I agree that it isn’t consistent with the wording of the police order. It is an extremely rare situation so there may not be a standard to deal with it.

My guess was that the IO also agreed with your points that it does not make any sense for a Thai citizen with dual nationality to stay in Thailand under the non Thai requirements when they are entitled to stay with no restrictions at all.

However once someone has entered under a non Thai passport they are bound by the rules for that nationality, the easiest way to regularise the situation is as I said leave using the foreign passport and return using the Thai one.

I know that there is an automatic 1 year extension of stay at (I think) no cost, the only requirement is proof of citizenship.
Also a Thai can’t be banned from THAILAND though I think that the overstay fines and late 90 report fines do still apply

It may just be possible with visits to various different ministries Or officials in Bangkok over several weeks to change the entry, but in the few cases I know of the individual decided that a quick day trip to somewhere like KL, swapping passports in flight, was far cheaper and easier than trying to find out how, or if, any other way was possible
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » October 30, 2019, 1:05 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
October 29, 2019, 11:34 pm
samuel wrote:
October 29, 2019, 8:08 pm

so what's the benefit?
That was the information I was given by an IO. I agree that it isn’t consistent with the wording of the police order. It is an extremely rare situation so there may not be a standard to deal with it.

My guess was that the IO also agreed with your points that it does not make any sense for a Thai citizen with dual nationality to stay in Thailand under the non Thai requirements when they are entitled to stay with no restrictions at all.

However once someone has entered under a non Thai passport they are bound by the rules for that nationality, the easiest way to regularise the situation is as I said leave using the foreign passport and return using the Thai one.

I know that there is an automatic 1 year extension of stay at (I think) no cost, the only requirement is proof of citizenship.
Also a Thai can’t be banned from THAILAND though I think that the overstay fines and late 90 report fines do still apply

It may just be possible with visits to various different ministries Or officials in Bangkok over several weeks to change the entry, but in the few cases I know of the individual decided that a quick day trip to somewhere like KL, swapping passports in flight, was far cheaper and easier than trying to find out how, or if, any other way was possible
Wife has dual citizenship, leaves U.S. on U.S. passport and enters Thailand on Thai passport, simple as that.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » October 30, 2019, 3:52 am

[quote=Stantheman post_id=557316 time=1572372333 user_id=14751]
[quote=sometimewoodworker post_id=557314 time=1572366893 user_id=13953]
[quote=samuel post_id=557304 time=1572354490 user_id=35571]

so what's the benefit?
[/quote]

It [b]may just[/b] be possible with visits to various different ministries Or officials in Bangkok over several weeks to change the entry, but in the few cases I know of the individual decided that a quick day trip to somewhere like KL, swapping passports in flight, was far cheaper and easier than trying to find out how, or if, any other way was possible
[/quote]
Wife has dual citizenship, leaves U.S. on U.S. passport and enters Thailand on Thai passport, simple as that.
[/quote]

If we would do that and we return to the U.S. to visit our kids and grandchildren and my wife presents her U.S. passport and the departure stamp in her U.S. Passport is over a year old and has a different date than mine and the U.S. immigration officers askes my wife where have you been?
I personally know of a couple of that did what you suggested and when they arrived at the U.S. for a visit they ended up in a lot of hot water with U.S. immigration. I am not willing to do take that chance.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » October 30, 2019, 5:10 am

Pf-flyer, think your info is very outdated, 1st there is NO departure stamp on U.S. passport as U.S. immigration only see the passport when we return and again no stamp, but they do scan it as does all immigtations when we return. I've travelled outside twice in last 6 months and no stamps from U.S. In fact we don't even see immigration on departure, passport is scanned by airline at beginning of trip then put away.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » October 30, 2019, 6:09 am

[quote=Stantheman post_id=557319 time=1572387029 user_id=14751]
Pf-flyer, think your info is very outdated, 1st there is NO departure stamp on U.S. passport as U.S. immigration only see the passport when we return and again no stamp, but they do scan it as does all immigtations when we return. I've travelled outside twice in last 6 months and no stamps from U.S. In fact we don't even see immigration on departure, passport is scanned by airline at beginning of trip then put away.
[/quote]

My wife and I have an entry stamp and a departure stamp entered into our U.S. Passports by Thai Immigration when we left Thailand on previous visits to Thailand in the past.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » October 30, 2019, 7:33 am

pipoz4444

Not sure i'm in the correct thread as I don't have any issues with my missus and dual passports associated with Mandatory health cover?
Any way i'll place my answer for you here.
I am only in the infancy thought process of what visa type I will attempt in the future. Lot of ducks to get In a line first. But for the small amount of time I have been looking at health insurance as part of any visa application and because of the new laws I am initially drawn to the Pacific Cross health cover provider for the reasons you have highlighted being age restriction and of course costs. I still have the option when applying as a first time visa applicant of an insurer outside of Thailand, I think you don't have that option now with your visa in place. I have extracted the line items from Pacific Cross just to show you the entry age from 6 to 75 and with further medical reviews after 75 to the age of 99. If I can be bothered to persevere in life to 99 then a wheelchair in the policy will be the mandatory requirement. And of course some one to push it around. 99 i'll probably out live the current squeeze.
I suppose the one thing that may make it cheaper in the future is a better exchange rate from the appalling rates at this point in time. I haven't seen any % discount deduction for first timers. But there is a line advising non claim deductions, further advice from the provider would be sought for this discount.

•Applicant must be aged 6 – 75 years old.
•If a claim is made by any insured or covered person under the Policy during a Policy year, any No Claim Discount achieved will be lost and the status of the discount will be as at 1st policy year shown above.
•If a claim relating to the previous year is subsequently submitted and accepted, and a No Claim Discount has already been given, The Company reserves the right to deduct the equivalent monetary amount of the No Claim Discount from the value of the claim. Any No Claim Discount achieved will be lost and the status of the discount will be as at 1st policy.
•Elective treatment for North America, Japan, Hong Kong, EU countries and Switzerland – This benefit is permitted only on a case by case basis with no guarantee of acceptance. In all others countries pre-approval of treatment is required.
•The applicant must be Thai resident or reside in Thailand at least 6 months in 12 months period.
•The emergency medical evacuation service shall activate while the insured person travelling more than 150 kilometres away from home for less than 90 consecutive days.
•The coverage of the permanent implanted medical devices and artificial organs are subject to 5 years waiting period.
•The insured has the ability to continuously renew the policy up to age 99 years, premium and coverage may be adjusted following the claim experience, health condition, increasing age.
•Information in this brochure is only preliminary information provided for the applicant to consider for applying for health insurance coverage from the company, all insuring conditions shall be referred to Definition, General Definition, General Exclusions, and Insuring Agreement of the health insurance policy of the company.

Annual Premium (BAHT) – INCLUDES TAX and Stamp Duty
Age Group Platinum 1 Platinum 2 Platinum 3

51-55 30,626 37,381 49,509
56-60 35,795 43,276 57,584
61-65 51,074 60,386 81,746
66-70 54,357 64,221 87,138
71-75 70,190 81,058 111,505
Last edited by Barney on October 30, 2019, 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 30, 2019, 7:34 am

Stantheman wrote:
October 30, 2019, 1:05 am
That is exactly the way that 99.9% of people with dual nationality do it. Show the passport of the country you are leaving to the IO of that country, show your Thai passport (now you don’t even show it but scan it) to the Thai IO

Don’t show your Thai passport to the IO of another country. Don’t show your foreign passport to a Thai IO.

The only people you may need to show both passports to is the airline at check in, they will need to see that you can enter the country you are flying to.

There are thousands Certanly, probably hundreds of thousands, who do the same. Every dual national I know and talked to does it that way.
I personally know of a couple of that did what you suggested and when they arrived at the U.S. for a visit they ended up in a lot of hot water with U.S. immigration. I am not willing to do take that chance.
You need a lot more information as to exactly when that happened and exactly what went on, and exactly what the problem was.

Many/some countries don’t even stamp foreign passports. I have gone into and out of Japan 10 to 15 times in the last 5 years on a foreign passport and have no Japanese stamps from those trips. The same for my last trip to the UK no stamps.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 30, 2019, 7:45 am

Lots of countries dont stamp passports
Changing from one passport to another is just that during flights inbound or outbound from Thailand
I have had to do it as land crossing demand to see stamps so did return flight Bangkok to singapore to swap passports
Arrived in bangkok with shiney new passport no questions asked

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » October 30, 2019, 9:01 am

Barney wrote:
October 30, 2019, 7:33 am
pipoz4444

Not sure i'm in the correct thread as I don't have any issues with my missus and dual passports associated with Mandatory health cover?
Any way i'll place my answer for you here.
I am only in the infancy thought process of what visa type I will attempt in the future. Lot of ducks to get In a line first. But for the small amount of time I have been looking at health insurance as part of any visa application and because of the new laws I am initially drawn to the Pacific Cross health cover provider for the reasons you have highlighted being age restriction and of course costs. I still have the option when applying as a first time visa applicant of an insurer outside of Thailand, I think you don't have that option now with your visa in place. I have extracted the line items from Pacific Cross just to show you the entry age from 6 to 75 and with further medical reviews after 75 to the age of 99. If I can be bothered to persevere in life to 99 then a wheelchair in the policy will be the mandatory requirement. And of course some one to push it around. 99 i'll probably out live the current squeeze.
I suppose the one thing that may make it cheaper in the future is a better exchange rate from the appalling rates at this point in time. I haven't seen any % discount deduction for first timers. But there is a line advising non claim deductions, further advice from the provider would be sought for this discount.

•Applicant must be aged 6 – 75 years old.
•If a claim is made by any insured or covered person under the Policy during a Policy year, any No Claim Discount achieved will be lost and the status of the discount will be as at 1st policy year shown above.
•If a claim relating to the previous year is subsequently submitted and accepted, and a No Claim Discount has already been given, The Company reserves the right to deduct the equivalent monetary amount of the No Claim Discount from the value of the claim. Any No Claim Discount achieved will be lost and the status of the discount will be as at 1st policy.
•Elective treatment for North America, Japan, Hong Kong, EU countries and Switzerland – This benefit is permitted only on a case by case basis with no guarantee of acceptance. In all others countries pre-approval of treatment is required.
•The applicant must be Thai resident or reside in Thailand at least 6 months in 12 months period.
•The emergency medical evacuation service shall activate while the insured person travelling more than 150 kilometres away from home for less than 90 consecutive days.
•The coverage of the permanent implanted medical devices and artificial organs are subject to 5 years waiting period.
•The insured has the ability to continuously renew the policy up to age 99 years, premium and coverage may be adjusted following the claim experience, health condition, increasing age.
•Information in this brochure is only preliminary information provided for the applicant to consider for applying for health insurance coverage from the company, all insuring conditions shall be referred to Definition, General Definition, General Exclusions, and Insuring Agreement of the health insurance policy of the company.

Annual Premium (BAHT) – INCLUDES TAX and Stamp Duty
Age Group Platinum 1 Platinum 2 Platinum 3

51-55 30,626 37,381 49,509
56-60 35,795 43,276 57,584
61-65 51,074 60,386 81,746
66-70 54,357 64,221 87,138
71-75 70,190 81,058 111,505
pipoz4444, you may want to watch this video on Dan About Thailand where Dan interviews the local director for Pacific Cross. He suggests that one can take out a policy that suits the requirements of Immigration and add on a choice of higher deductibles to lower the premium cost. That would certainly be the way to go for someone with extra cash. I have not seen that option on some of the other insurance company offerings. If I had to choose insurance companies I would definitely go the Pacific Cross route. I have friends that use them and they swear by them!

https://danaboutthailand.com/2019/10/29 ... interview/
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

AA Ins Broker
udonmap.com

Post by AA Ins Broker » October 30, 2019, 1:17 pm

Here are just 6 examples (from the many availabble)

Peter
[email protected]
Attachments
Copy of Visa plans.pdf
(89.76 KiB) Downloaded 159 times

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » October 30, 2019, 2:10 pm

AA Ins Broker wrote:
October 30, 2019, 1:17 pm

Peter
[email protected]

Peter, do we have the option to choose a higher deductible on the Pacific Cross plan to lower our annual premiums?
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

AA Ins Broker
udonmap.com

Post by AA Ins Broker » October 31, 2019, 1:40 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
October 30, 2019, 2:10 pm
AA Ins Broker wrote:
October 30, 2019, 1:17 pm

Peter
[email protected]

Peter, do we have the option to choose a higher deductible on the Pacific Cross plan to lower our annual premiums?
Yes you do have that option - also I have attached an updated chart

Peter
Attachments
Visa Plans 2019_Update.pdf
(41.36 KiB) Downloaded 196 times

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » October 31, 2019, 11:11 pm

This page features several insurance companies and their plans. Worth a look. Have a nice day.
http://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » November 1, 2019, 5:18 pm

Knowing how hard it is to get insurance with pre existing conditions I thought I would share with others that I have just been accepted with Pacific Cross today after a month of peserverance. It does exclude the pre existing but I’m more than happy to obtain some health insurance.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 2, 2019, 3:11 pm

From the few examples being quoted on Thai Visa so far, it seems that those entering Thailand on a pre-31 October OA visa are being given normal entry.

However, it is not so clear with those seeking extensions at local immigration offices. Some are saying all OA extensions now require insurance, while others are saying it will only apply to visas issued after 31 October.

I guess we all await the first report back from the Udon IO.

colt1911
udonmap.com

Post by colt1911 » November 5, 2019, 12:38 pm

I went to the Udon IO yesterday to do my 90 report. The new police order outlining the Insurance for OA Visa extension holders was posted at every workstation. I talked to the Lady Immigration Officer and she said I could go out of the Country come back in and apply for an O. She said only Thai Insurance Cos were acceptable. My experience yesterday.

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » November 5, 2019, 12:50 pm

My visa says Non-O on the first page where the visa info was transferred to new passport a few years back.
Can I assume that is OK?

colt1911
udonmap.com

Post by colt1911 » November 5, 2019, 1:00 pm

Yes you can. The Lady I Officer says it only applies to O A.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”