Late Deposits To Bangkok Acount from overseas

General Udon Thani topics only!
Nongkhaiman
udonmap.com

Late Deposits To Bangkok Acount from overseas

Post by Nongkhaiman » September 29, 2019, 7:04 pm

I have been receiving my U.S. Social Security deposits via the Bangkok Bank month on time, for the past six years. Things have changed this year, as my deposits from overseas have been held up by the Bangkok Branch in BKK. Some of my deposits were five to seven working days late before being posted to my account. I have called the New York Bangkok Bank three different times, and they had informed me that the funds were all ready posted.
Has anyone had a better experience with any other Thai Bank's that I could use to transfer these funds?
Thanks

Tango Sierra
udonmap.com

Re: Late Deposits To Bangkok Acount from overseas

Post by Tango Sierra » September 30, 2019, 3:25 pm

I too was having problems with Bangkok Bank and switched my SS and Air Force retirement (DFAS) checks to Siam Commercial Bank (SCB). So far no problems, took DFAS 2 months to make the change and SS took 3 months. If you decide to make a change there is a SS office in the PI that was very helpful getting things changed.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 30, 2019, 3:53 pm

Folks in the local VFW say that the rules were changed recently that allow SSA and VA deposits to be made directly into your Thai bank account......Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn, SCB. No further need to go through the Bangkok Bank of NY.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » September 30, 2019, 5:34 pm

Hmm, not sure how money gets here at Bangkok Bank these days, just might check next time I need to go there.
If true one would think it would save a $5.00 charge in NY.
But I really have a hard time believing it.
Will hope that problems don't start to appear in the next few days, when I have had NONE in past years. Pass the salt.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 30, 2019, 5:43 pm

A friend has been getting his SSA deposits directly into his Kasikorn account since the beginning of August.
SSA - yes. VA - yes. Military retirement pensions - not yet.

Nongkhaiman
udonmap.com

Post by Nongkhaiman » October 1, 2019, 10:00 pm

Gents
Thanks for your information on my banking issue. Your help was really appreciated.
B/r

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 2, 2019, 4:01 pm

Over the last 3 months I have noticed a definite 24-hour delay in my transfers from the UK to Bangkok Bank actually posting here. Meanwhile, same-day transfers to my US account from the UK posts within hours, just like the ones to Bangkok Bank used to do.

BTW, more oversight has been approved by the Thai government. It's always been a bit of a chore to repatriate money FROM Thailand and it looks like it's just about to get more difficult.

https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30376952

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » October 2, 2019, 5:02 pm

Question:
Can DFAS MyPay do direct deposits to a Thai Bank (shown as a overseas transfer)?

Started doing wire transfers earlier this year, but it normally takes a 20 minute phone call and 25.00 transfer fee.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 2, 2019, 5:12 pm

Mosquito wrote:
October 2, 2019, 5:02 pm
Question:
Can DFAS MyPay do direct deposits to a Thai Bank (shown as a overseas transfer)?

Started doing wire transfers earlier this year, but it normally takes a 20 minute phone call and 25.00 transfer fee.
The VFW service officer who is familiar with pay issues says you can do VA and SSA deposits directs to your bank, but not (yet) regular retired pay

Tango Sierra
udonmap.com

Post by Tango Sierra » October 2, 2019, 8:01 pm

I started my retirement pay from DFAS going direct to SCB back in May and haven't had any problems. They use OF 1199-i and it took 2 months to make the change. They emailed me the form, I had the bank sign it then faxed it back to them.

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » October 2, 2019, 11:13 pm

parrot wrote:
October 2, 2019, 5:12 pm
Mosquito wrote:
October 2, 2019, 5:02 pm
Question:

The VFW service officer who is familiar with pay issues says you can do VA and SSA deposits directs to your bank, but not (yet) regular retired pay
thx, didn't think it was possible at this time.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » October 3, 2019, 12:09 am

This is link to DFAS, might clarify for some on international deposits
https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/manage/idd.html

Joey0369
udonmap.com

Post by Joey0369 » October 3, 2019, 3:17 am

I called Bangkok Bank in NYC just this evening to find out where my military pension direct deposit was. They are in the process of upgrading their system and the computers were all down as of 9:30 p.m. Thai time October 2nd. So that’s the cause for the recent delay. Hopefully they work it out and things improve.

Tango Sierra
udonmap.com

Post by Tango Sierra » October 3, 2019, 1:35 pm

As I stated above DFAS will send your retirement checks to Thailand. I received my last deposit from DFAS to SCB on 1 Oct at 914 AM.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 4, 2019, 10:07 am

Tango Sierra wrote:
October 2, 2019, 8:01 pm
I started my retirement pay from DFAS going direct to SCB back in May and haven't had any problems. They use OF 1199-i and it took 2 months to make the change. They emailed me the form, I had the bank sign it then faxed it back to them.
Thanks so much for posting this info. DFAS has yet to update their website showing eligible banks, but they have since confirmed that direct deposit into Thai banks is now possible. There are many retired veterans living in Thailand and I'm sure many will benefit from these changes. Thanks again for the tip!

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » October 7, 2019, 3:33 pm

RLTrader wrote:
September 30, 2019, 5:34 pm
Hmm, not sure how money gets here at Bangkok Bank these days, just might check next time I need to go there.
If true one would think it would save a $5.00 charge in NY.
But I really have a hard time believing it.
Will hope that problems don't start to appear in the next few days, when I have had NONE in past years. Pass the salt.
Wife was going into town today, so I asked her to stop by BB and go to 2nd floor, way on the other end and give them bank book and ask for a copy of this months transfer.

So she calls me and says that "didn't receive transfer" and I say, "but its recorded in the bank book", she says "but didn't receive transfer this month" and I say "never mind, will go later in week".

When she got home I ask her if she went to women on 2nd floor, and she told me that when she went to get a queue ticket, man told her to go to teller, which she did. Go figure. :roll:

Will guess my fault, didn't tell her "No Need for queue ticket".

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”