Lost in Translation My Internet Connection Update 5G?

General Udon Thani topics only!
RLTrader
udonmap.com

Lost in Translation My Internet Connection Update 5G?

Post by RLTrader » September 11, 2019, 4:57 pm

Wife got a call from internet provider, needed to update WIFI & TV box and new wire.

So they came early, noonish and did there stuff, needed my WIFI name & password, did tests. Looked good got 126 down and ? up. Old was 50/20 or there abouts. Got the password for the WIFI box, Hell, it's hard coded into the log in screen and on the box, WTF. So I tested on computer, getting 3/? Finally found a server (fluke) where I got 47/?

Well since I really don't use the connection, when they were not concerned with my #'s - I just thought, "oh well". and then they left.

TV box different nothing new to watch just a different remote, but did get them to change screen stuff to english, like it was before.

Looked at router has light for 5G, oh, so this is 5G, oh well

So, sense it was bugging me, ran more tests, seemed to have no problem stream tv, just was impossible to get anything above 10/?

Then when checking available WIFI connections a "........._5G" appeared as a option, Hmm, the dots were my name for the connection with the _5G added. Selected it typed in my password, connected and now I too was getting 126/?

:lol:

Its was then time for a Scotch, but more research I expect will be required in coming days. :roll:

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: Lost in Translation My Internet Connection Update 5G?

Post by jackspratt » September 11, 2019, 5:17 pm

Sounds to me like 5GHz band on your wifi, rather than 5G mobile band (which I don't believe has been rolled out yet in Thailand).

The newer routers will give you a choice of 2.4GHz or 5GHz wifi. Here is the difference:

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 11, 2019, 6:00 pm

jackspratt wrote:
September 11, 2019, 5:17 pm
Sounds to me like 5GHz band on your wifi, rather than 5G mobile band (which I don't believe has been rolled out yet in Thailand).

The newer routers will give you a choice of 2.4GHz or 5GHz wifi. Here is the difference:
The speed difference between and interference of other items 2.4GHz and 5GHz is not likely to be notable unless you have either a very noisy environment or something that can get you speeds of over 600Mbps. In my house there is virtually no difference between the two, time of day or time of test makes much more difference. FWIW I actually have a 20/10 subscription so I'm usually well happy with what I'm getting
IMG_8216.jpeg
IMG_8212.jpeg
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » September 11, 2019, 8:19 pm

The only problem with 5ghz wifi is it is shorter range then 2.4ghz. I have both in house, use th 5 ghz for wifes streaming Malamar TV and the 2.4 for laptops and phones.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » September 11, 2019, 8:25 pm

To maybe clear things up, before we are all lost in this mombo/jumbo, with a search it sure looks like this is what I got upgraded too. Free.

http://trueonline.truecorp.co.th/news-d ... /386?ln=en

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”