Just an observation

General Udon Thani topics only!
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: Just an observation

Post by Drunk Monkey » August 9, 2019, 4:51 pm

Lone Star wrote:
August 9, 2019, 4:19 pm
Some of the same Cry Babies of Siam (you know who you are) crying about the same sh*t that you've already proven through your own participation is bullsh*t.

Don't read what doesn't interest you.

The forum is broken down into sections. Don't read the main page if it hurts your feelings. Go to the Forum link and to the sections that interest you.
I cant speak fir other memebers but i access the firum.via the home page curret or active posts page .. yes there are other routes but the fact that the active post page is dominated by so many political American Trump.Brexit threads imo.needs addressing .. and whats the problem. Consolidating the numerous threads into 1 or 2 ..streamline things abit ..same as ocer the months many different imigration threads .
Its not rocket science to realise dont click.if u dont wanna read or not interested fair enough but so many butch slapping pitcal threads is IMO.giving a detrimental effect to.members logging in reading posting contributing offering informstion and current topics about Udon ..Thailand etc
As 31st oct appeoaches ..can we look forward to at least one thread dwindling away ..nit on your nelly .. i can see it now brexit fall.out thread .. oh my buddha .
My brother re ently moved to live here and after he logged in hecexact words .. nevercagain is just guys arguing over things they cannot change agree or disagree he hasnt logged in since ...
Btw my SUGGESTION of streamlining was just thst a suggestion .. id rathervsee the forum.flourish then get bogged down in constant bickering over politics ON SO MANY DIFFERENT THREADS .. when 1 or 2 should cover it

Dm.

Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » August 9, 2019, 5:04 pm

Hang on ..sorry ..i just realised in my atempt to offer a suggestion iit starting to.look like ve just added to the sh8t storm.of political.threads ...who.could of guessed that would happen .
Bring back Bob .Helm ..

Time to say adios on.this issue

Dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » August 9, 2019, 6:14 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
August 9, 2019, 5:04 pm
Hang on ..sorry ..i just realised in my atempt to offer a suggestion iit starting to.look like ve just added to the sh8t storm.of political.threads ...who.could of guessed that would happen .
Bring back Bob .Helm ..

Dm
Bob Helm was a biased, unfair mod. Glad he's gone.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » August 9, 2019, 6:16 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
Hang on ..sorry ..i just realised in my atempt to offer a suggestion iit starting to.look like ve just added to the sh8t storm.of political.threads ...

Perhaps the Map should merge all the threads you like into one thread? That might give them more legs. :-k
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » August 9, 2019, 6:16 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
August 9, 2019, 4:51 pm
[
Btw my SUGGESTION of streamlining was just thst a suggestion .. id rathervsee the forum.flourish then get bogged down in constant bickering over politics ON SO MANY DIFFERENT THREADS .. when 1 or 2 should cover it

Dm.
I've had posts deleted after being reported by Cry Babies for being off topic for trying to consolidate subjects that were related.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » August 9, 2019, 6:18 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
Hang on ..sorry ..
The Cry Babies know who they are. You're not one of them.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » August 9, 2019, 6:27 pm

DM
Appreciate the input Any suggestion is great

Some people dont appreciate the other side of the tracks and are just vicious towards new ideas

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » August 9, 2019, 6:31 pm

Doodoo wrote:
August 9, 2019, 6:27 pm
Troll

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » August 9, 2019, 6:34 pm

Dick isnt that your name Dick

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » August 9, 2019, 6:45 pm

Over the past 9 years I have noticed a drastic decline in the civility of posters on the forum. I used to be much more active in posting, but it got to the point where it was affecting my blood pressure, stress and anxiety levels, so I backed off. Like most people I have a strong opinion on various subjects, and one should be free to post comments without coming under personal attack. The forum is now consumed with angry keyboard warriors whose main mission in life seems to be to verbally destroy anyone whose opinion differs from their own. I like a good debate, but I don't ever remember a time when I lambasted a poster by name because he disagreed with my stand on an issue. The purpose of a forum should be to provide help and assistance to others in need of answers and to provide a platform for a pleasant exchange of ideas. Why do most topics up for discussion have to digress into a name calling match? Perusing the forums around Thailand has been a good time filler for me during the days for years, but I think it's time for me to move on to a more constructive and uplifting use of my time!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » August 9, 2019, 7:18 pm

Lone Star wrote:
August 9, 2019, 6:14 pm
Drunk Monkey wrote:
Bring back Bob .Helm ..

Dm
You say he was biased & unfair.
So give examples where he was biased & unfair.
It must have been regarding to your posts.

As the saying goes either PUT UP OR SHUT UP.

I do not think many members think he was unfair during his time as Moderator.
He was always helpful to members in any way he could be.

Or is this one of your usual Bull*hit posts.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » August 9, 2019, 7:24 pm

pal52 wrote:
August 9, 2019, 7:18 pm

Search the posts on the forum, pal. I'm not going to do research that's at your fingertips.

I'm entitled to my opinion. I thought he was a pr*ck and biased. He wasn't by himself. I'm glad the whole bunch is gone.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » August 9, 2019, 7:25 pm

pal52 wrote:
August 9, 2019, 7:18 pm
Lone Star wrote:
August 9, 2019, 6:14 pm
Drunk Monkey wrote:
Bring back Bob .Helm ..

Dm

This is exactly the kind of uncivility that I referred to in my post above. It is uncalled for an totally unnecessary. There is the power of life and death in ones words, and this sort of conversation does nothing but shorten the life of the giver and the receiver of such nonsense!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » August 9, 2019, 7:36 pm

Thank you, everyone, for your ideas and input.

First, I've received numerous PMs and emails asking, and sometimes demanding, that a member or some members be banned from UM. No one has been banned from UM for over four years, since a former Moderator left UM. While he saw banning as a good way to control members who were a bit out of control with their posts, I was never comfortable with it. Nor do I foresee any member being banned in the future. I believe in encouraging free speech, not restricting it. So while we may have to make some minor adjustments from time to time, I can envision no circumstances under which anyone will be banned.

Based on the input I have received, we're going to make some adjustments to UM.

We have had an increasing proliferation of threads having to do with President Trump. Based on your input, we're going to consolidate all of the Trump threads into a U.S. Politics thread, not restricted to President Trump. I have already consolidated most of the relevant threads, and I ask that no new threads on U.S. politics or President Trump be created. It will take a little time to finish this consolidation.

We're going to tighten up a bit on derogatory comments about other members, too. They are inappropriate and have no place on UM. Everyone should feel welcome here, and should feel free to express their ideas and thoughts. Uncertain about what this means? A good general rule to follow is: Comment on the post, not the poster. UM wants to maintain a civil and welcoming environment.

How do people feel about the Brexit threads? I'm inclined to treat them the same was as the U.S. politics threads and consolidate them; but I'd love to hear any opinions on this before I take any action.

At the upper right of each post, you will see a number of buttons. If you click the one with the exclamation mark in it, that will queue it to me for review and give you an opportunity to comment on why you think that perhaps this post is inappropriate or needs attention. I don't read every post every day, and this is the best way to ensure that I take a look at problematic posts.

Any other suggestions? Best ways to let me know are by PM here on the forum, or by email to [email protected]

Thank you again for all of your comments and suggestions!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 9, 2019, 9:07 pm

I found Bob to be almost always "fair and balanced" - in a sort of anti-Fox News sort of way.

His strengths included his intolerance of rabid right-wing polemic and hypocrisy.

I was very sad to see him go ..... the forum is poorer for his departure. :(

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » August 9, 2019, 9:33 pm

jackspratt wrote:
August 9, 2019, 9:07 pm
I found Bob to be almost always "fair and balanced" - in a sort of anti-Fox News sort of way.

His strengths included his intolerance of rabid right-wing polemic and hypocrisy.

I was very sad to see him go ..... the forum is poorer for his departure. :(
I agree with Jack, Bob was a fair moderator and a few times I PM'd him about how he did visa process he was very helpful. I greatly miss his post and wish he was still on the forum

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » August 10, 2019, 6:35 am

Interesting to see Udon Map's laissez-faire approach to the forums obvious problems, reminds me of a school teacher that had a class of 30+students, of which just a handful were determined to disrupt the enjoyment of learning for the rest.He too insisted on their right to free speech and totally ignored the right of the rest, the majority, to learn, the purpose of the class. I won't bore you with the whole story just say it caused total chaos resulting in the abandoment of the entire class, his dismissal, leading to his suicide not long after .Now I am not saying things would ever get that serious on here, after all, we are not young kids , are we???? but the signs are very similar aren't they?A few determined to be disruptive and push their own agenda, if they have one, are causing those of us that joined as a place of discussion and advice with like minded people in a friendly atmosphere are being pushed aside by their continued efforts to dominate every aspect of the forum, resulting in many like me, not bothering to get involved so carefully vetting our comtributions, or more worrying, just leaving in droves for pastures new. Seems very similar to the class and teacher I first mentioned, doesn't it?
In passing , Bob Helm is sorely missed, but where are the other mods? Are there any?
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » August 10, 2019, 7:37 am

Paul,i would like to see same style of "like,not like" buttons as Thaivisa has..hope you know what i mean.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » August 10, 2019, 7:53 am

The problem as i see it , is a problem associated with all expat communities .
We all come from different countries , we all have different values , we are varying ages , we all come from different social backgrounds , we all have differing political and religious views , we all have differing levels of education and life experiences , many of us who live here permanently , came for various reasons .
What we all do have in common is we use this forum , and the other one on a frequent basis .
So would it really hurt anyone to think before they post , to ignore the trolls , and to make the forums a place to air our views and share information ,in a more civil manner ?
I would hate to think this forum ends up like the kiddies forum , where it seems O K for members to tell anyone they do not agree with to foxtrot oscar .

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » August 10, 2019, 7:56 am

place of discussion and advice with like minded people
That's exactly the point. The divide is incorrigible. The time for civility has long passed.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”