Stump Removal

General Udon Thani topics only!
Muni3
udonmap.com

Stump Removal

Post by Muni3 » July 1, 2019, 5:06 pm

We obtained a property that has been neglected for over 15 years. After finally cutting down the "jungle", t
stumps.jpg
stumps.jpg (61.59 KiB) Viewed 1103 times
here are now LOTS of treacherous stumps to trip over in the yard. Not big tree stumps but bushes that were left for years & have put down real roots (photo attached). They need to be removed but far too many for me to dig them up. There must be someone who removes these stumps from yards, either by machine or hand. Has anyone dealt with this problem or know someone who can do the job? Thanks

maaka
udonmap.com

Re: Stump Removal

Post by maaka » July 2, 2019, 7:41 am

Me I just use my hoe and chop the individual roots..do afew stumps per day,and usually you win in the end..
failing that off some local or family member some pocket money

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 2, 2019, 9:06 am

For the price of a sharp, new hoe you can cut the just below ground level. If it's a bigger stump, you can dig a bit lower and remove the smaller roots before lifting the stump out with your hoe. buy a better quality one and you'll have it for years. In Thai, it's a johb......จอบ. Now is a good time to do the job as the ground should be soft.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » July 3, 2019, 7:06 am

Build a small fire over the top and burn 'em out.
If the fire has enough staying power it'll usually smoulder it's way through the roots as well.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » July 3, 2019, 9:50 am

bluejets wrote:Build a small fire over the top and burn 'em out.
If the fire has enough staying power it'll usually smoulder it's way through the roots as well.
Good one bluejets.
A tried and true method, you must be a farm boy.
Can’t believe maaka didn’t pull that one out of his kiwi bag of tricks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » July 3, 2019, 10:50 am

When I moved to my wife's house upcountry, the house was set on two rai of overgrown jungle with many thorn bushes and small trees. I hired a young tractor jockey who rented a big heavy old Ford tractor. It had a heavy duty disc plow and a dozer blade. It took him several days to clear the land but by abusing that old tractor he cleaned up and piled the brush to be burned. He had a technique. By tilting the back of the plow as high as it would go, he cut the roots on one side of the stumps with the front disc blade, backed up and pushed the stump out the other side. They did not grow back.

Airportwo
udonmap.com

Post by Airportwo » July 3, 2019, 1:14 pm

bluejets wrote:
July 3, 2019, 7:06 am
Build a small fire over the top and burn 'em out.
Got through a few large tree stumps using Fire! buy a bag of charcoal to keep fire hot and smouldering, takes a couple of days but easy enough.

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » July 3, 2019, 6:41 pm

Fire is the go. The Romans dug around the root, covered it in wood (charcoal is better) and once burning, they covered it with stones and let it slow burn.
I am independently poor

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » July 3, 2019, 9:26 pm

One of our farms had a number of very large stumps. The made farming that land a pain. We had a pond dug and asked the excavator guy if he could take out the stumps. There was no extra charge and my wife kept the stumps with the roots for decoration at the house. I couldn't believe how much power that big cat excavator has.

Muni3
udonmap.com

Post by Muni3 » July 4, 2019, 4:27 pm

Thanks for the suggestions...it's a house with decent size land in a mooban, not a farm, so heavy equipment is out. We've hacked out some of the littler ones. A LOT of work!! I'm going to buy a large bag of charcoal & try burning some of the bigger ones.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » July 4, 2019, 7:25 pm

Barney wrote:
July 3, 2019, 9:50 am
bluejets wrote:Build a small fire over the top and burn 'em out.
Good one bluejets.
A tried and true method, you must be a farm boy.
Can’t believe maaka didn’t pull that one out of his kiwi bag of tricks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Youth spent helping land clearing and stripping plant cane for pocket money.
Did once see a powder monkey lift a big stump except he got the calculation a bit off and it rained stones and s***t for days. Many of the farmers here used diesel and fertiliser.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”