Thailand Implements Biometric Facial Recognition Policy

General Udon Thani topics only!
TJ
udonmap.com

Thailand Implements Biometric Facial Recognition Policy

Post by TJ » June 28, 2019, 2:19 pm

Thailand orders facial biometrics collection for SIM use in Muslim-majority states

"Thailand’s army has ordered telecoms operating in the country’s three most southern states to require the users of all 1.5 million mobile phone numbers in the region to submit photos for biometric facial recognition, according to an Agence France-Presse report published by the Philippines’ ABS-CBS News.The three majority-Muslim states of Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat were annexed by Thailand in 1902, and have experienced widespread violence resulting in roughly 7,000 deaths since 2004, and opponents of the plan say the biometric photo requirement is the latest in a series of moves targeting the Malay-Muslim population. A military spokesman defended the move, saying SIM cards have been used to detonate bombs, and biometrics can help to identify perpetrators. After October 31, any mobile users in the three southern states or four districts of neighboring Songkhla province will have service cut off. Rights advocacy group Cross Cultural Foundation called the facial recognition technology “flawed,” and said it often leads to racial profiling and wrongful arrests. People in the rest of the country are not required to likewise register their SIM cards, but those who do not will lose reception if they travel to the southern Thailand, according to the report. Another deployment, another worry. Applications of biometrics by military juntas and corrupt regimes are drawing increasing attention from rights advocates and facial recognition skeptics.

https://www.biometricupdate.com/201906/ ... ity-states

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Re: Thailand Implements Biometric Facial Recognition Policy

Post by FrazeeDK » June 29, 2019, 9:06 am

"racial profiling????" Seems like they're all Asian down there.. As for the logic behind the plan, I reckon it has some validity but blocking everyone transiting or visiting that area isn't going to fly.. Besides, the bad guys will just steal someone's cellphone for the SIM...
Dave

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » June 29, 2019, 11:16 am

Facial recognition cannot be used to identify racial characteristics. The algorithms used are kept secret by all but a select few. However, we do know that it measures cores of pint to point elements of the face, distance between eyes, size of mouth, height of ears etc and that is given a composite score. The score is recorded, and compared to subsequent scans. Facial recognition is now more accurate than finger scanning or iris recognition. Not really an invasion of privacy IMHO, my company uses there technologies and finger scanning and there has never been an issue.
I am independently poor

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » June 30, 2019, 11:24 am

Essex wrote:
June 29, 2019, 11:16 am
Facial recognition cannot be used to identify racial characteristics. The algorithms used are kept secret by all but a select few. However, we do know that it measures scores of point to point elements of the face, distance between eyes, size of mouth, height of ears etc and that is given a composite score. The score is recorded, and compared to subsequent scans. Facial recognition is now more accurate than finger scanning or iris recognition. Not really an invasion of privacy IMHO, my company uses there technologies and finger scanning and there has never been an issue.
I am independently poor

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » June 30, 2019, 11:57 am

Facial recognition cannot be used to identify racial characteristics. The algorithms used are kept secret by all but a select few.
You're spouting bull poo again, Essex. Stop while you're behind.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » July 1, 2019, 9:00 am

Giggle wrote:
June 30, 2019, 11:57 am
Facial recognition cannot be used to identify racial characteristics. The algorithms used are kept secret by all but a select few.
You're spouting bull poo again, Essex. Stop while you're behind.
Troll alert
I am independently poor

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » July 1, 2019, 9:19 am

[
Last edited by Essex on July 1, 2019, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am independently poor

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » July 1, 2019, 9:20 am

[/quote]
I am independently poor

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » July 1, 2019, 11:20 am

http://file.scirp.org/Html/5-7900336_48464.htm
Apparently, people affiliated with different ethnical groups are significantly different from each other by from and placements of facial patterns (facial parts).
A blinding flash of the obvious.

People aren't equal -- never will be. Brainwashed western mantra that "we're all the same" hasn't yet infected AI which remains firmly grounded in reality and unemotional, unpolluted logic.

Open your eyes. :badteeth:

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » July 1, 2019, 4:22 pm

Giggle wrote:
July 1, 2019, 11:20 am
Apparently, people affiliated with different ethnical groups are significantly different from each other by from and placements of facial patterns (facial parts).

People aren't equal -- never will be. Brainwashed western mantra that "we're all the same" hasn't yet infected AI which remains firmly grounded in reality and unemotional, unpolluted logic.

Hey Mr Troll, why not dig up an article on facial recognition, not portrait photography. What's next, a report on phrenology, it is equally irrelevant?
I am independently poor

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » July 1, 2019, 4:39 pm

Mr Troll. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » July 1, 2019, 5:29 pm

For those with an interest in this technology, this is a fairly current explanation.

https://www.iflexion.com/blog/face-reco ... ithms-work

I advise Mr Troll that he can avoid a migraine, by resisting the temptation to read this. It has some really big words and grown up sentence construction.

Those with multiple, functioning brain cells are exempt from this warning.
I am independently poor

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » July 1, 2019, 5:40 pm

Essex wrote:
Giggle wrote:
July 1, 2019, 11:20 am

Hey Mr Troll, why not dig up an article on facial recognition, not portrait photography. What's next, a report on phrenology, it is equally irrelevant?
Not taking sides but wasn’t the original post about photos being presented for facial recognition technology purposes.

But I do prescribe to the old school thought and why do we really need this and lots of other technology.
Just because it’s invented or evolved doesn’t mean we should hold hands with authorities and march down the yellow brick road with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » July 1, 2019, 6:10 pm

Hi Barney,

I agree totally, laws should be enacted to guarantee privacy.

To date, governments have been very poor to react. This technology is being utilsed at an ever increasing rate. Not all of the uses are bad of course. It is incredibly effective in the retail space where it is detecting shop lifters by measuring their movements and using analytics to track suspicious actions based on body movement, in public spaces, it can even detect some body using a knife or pointing a gun.

Like it or not, there is a big brother element about it if used without agreement by the persons being tracked. A real potential for misuse.
I am independently poor

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » July 1, 2019, 8:44 pm

Essex wrote:
June 29, 2019, 11:16 am
Facial recognition cannot be used to identify racial characteristics.
Yes, it does exactly that. There is a high probability some hair-twirling, mincing, chronic-victim users of that technology are "outraged" over assigning race labels to faces, but AI has no problem doing it. It isn't quite so easily offended.

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » July 1, 2019, 9:13 pm

Naught, naughty Mr Troll, take your medication and go to bed.
I am independently poor

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”