Post by Doodoo » April 7, 2019, 7:05 pm

http://udon-news.com/en/news/private-ho ... ent?src=nl

There you go an UDON/Thai Story
Something different for the masses

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Re: Hospitals Over Charging

Post by dunroaming » April 7, 2019, 9:04 pm

We are going tomorrow my misses has big problems but I don't trust the Government hospital to get it right and can't keep going without her so no expense spared but will comment here on costs after

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » April 7, 2019, 11:48 pm

I had back surgery at Buhmungrad done in 2008, they did a great job and the fees were very reasonable. I think today it would cost 2 or 3 times as much.

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » April 8, 2019, 8:01 am

dunroaming wrote:
April 7, 2019, 9:04 pm
We are going tomorrow my misses has big problems but I don't trust the Government hospital to get it right and can't keep going without her so no expense spared but will comment here on costs after
The same doctors work in all the hospitals so the government ones are just as good as the rip off so called private ones, any one thinking any different is truly diluded

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » April 8, 2019, 8:23 am

minimiglia wrote:
April 8, 2019, 8:01 am

The same doctors work in all the hospitals so the government ones are just as good as the rip off so called private ones, any one thinking any different is truly diluded
Pretty much, and many of them have their own clinics, where it is usually less expensive to visit them there.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » April 8, 2019, 9:25 am

Having had 1st hand experience with the Bangkok Hospital Udon I considered the charges for accommodation, care and treatment quite reasonable looking at the condition I was admitted for.

BUT:- I had a backup visit 2 weeks later for a final set of tests to get a clearance to fly! I intending to head back home to Aust. ASAP, to get a 2nd opinion (BTW I was going regardless of the results). I was given my medical file and prescribed a 1 month supply of drugs -- a breath taking >17K Baht worth at the hospital pharmacy.

In short, the doctor in Aust. was perplexed at the drug list and prescribed me a 6 month supply of a single drug. Total out of pocket cost of AUD$132.00 (about 2900 Baht).

I have to assume the doctor in Udon was on a commission. I also believe that now (by law) one is not committed to filling their prescription at the hospital pharmacy.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » April 8, 2019, 9:50 am

Bandung_Dero wrote:
April 8, 2019, 9:25 am
. . .

>17K Baht worth at the hospital pharmacy.

. . .
That happened to me the first time in Thailand. After that, I got a list and went to the pharmacy where the price was about 15% of what the hospital was charging. The hospital really lays it on thick.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Armyvet
udonmap.com

Post by Armyvet » April 8, 2019, 10:44 am

Ref the cost of drugs and Dr care in Thailand. I have been told by a reliable source that 1. Dr pay is quite low. 2. Many Dr have their own clinic where they make their money dispensing drugs. I trust this source since there is a Dr in his family. I see a Dr, at his clinic, every two weeks and get a bag of pills. This was the third Dr I saw for a pre stroke warning, at his clinic. The Army Hosp and Udon Hosp did little to even detect the problem. The 3rd Dr at his clinic sent me for an MRI and the problem was immediately revealed. A year plus later I am doing well and the cost of the meds isn't going to break me. Do I need them all, I don't know but they are doing me no detectable harm.

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » April 8, 2019, 3:33 pm

More than half the private hospitals operating in Thailand are overcharging for medical services and prescription drugs. Of the private hospitals alleged to be overcharging, the rates have been calculated to be 30% up to 300% over the actual production cost.

What total nonsense, this is a free market and so they can charge what they want, they are business in case anyone thinks otherwise.
They do not have a monopoly as there are the Government hospitals that anyone can use – including foreigners – for very little money.
Bottom line is if you cannot afford it then use a facility that you can
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » April 8, 2019, 4:08 pm

Bottom line is if you cannot afford it then use a facility that you can
You on you high and mighty soap box have totally missed the point of this thread!

NOTHING to do with affordability rather than being ripped off!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

MusicalBars
udonmap.com

Post by MusicalBars » April 8, 2019, 4:26 pm

I was in Bangkok hospital Udon for a DVT 5 years ago I asked to be notified of all costs for treatment room etc after 2 day a bill came at triple what I had worked out as I wasnt on Insurance I kicked up a stink and the american told me they had to pay for the 400 million THB hospital somehow to whick I replied I didnt wish to buy the hospital although not quite as politely as that I was in another 2 nights and no further charges were added dont just accept what they tell you check and ask them what is really neede they then know your not a push over. since then I have been to the govt hospital you do see good surgeons and docs but very long waits and very short consultations the surgery department is top noch but as soon as you get on the wards things go down hillfast

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » April 9, 2019, 1:57 pm

Just back from Nong Han Hospital for 3 monthly check on on Blood Sugar, Cholesterol levels and Hypertension. 3 months supply of Losartan tabs (BP Control) and Simvastatin 40 mg( half tablet a day) plus 40 Lorazepam 0.5 sleeping tablets. Cost of meds 266 Baht for all. Doctors consultation fee 40 Baht and a 50 Baht contribution to the hospitals operating costs. I think they forgot to charge for the blood tests but in the past never been above 750 or so Baht. Went in a 8 am and out with meds in hand by 11.15 am. Said before that for non emergency treatment local is a good way to go but for surgery or serious illness stick with private. My Father in Law is currently recovering from surgery in Udon Thani Hospital and it is crammed to the gills with beds even in the lift halls at present.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”