Bank Letter Certifying Account

General Udon Thani topics only!
LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Bank Letter Certifying Account

Post by LoneTraveler » February 11, 2019, 1:50 pm

It appears I for one will be doing the 800K in a Thai Bank. I recall years ago (perhaps 8-9 years ago, I had to present a letter certifying account and amount along with updated bank book the same day as I applied for an extension for retirement at Jomtein Immigration even though I had a letter from the Embassy in Bangkok certifying. They dropped the bank statement and book update one or two years later. At one point they even required a copy of credit card which they also dropped later. So these hoops I am required to jump through now are not as bad as they once were.

Anyway, I opened my Bangkok Bank account in Pattaya and is still current, I never changed it to make Udon Thani my Home Branch which requires me to pay a fee every time I make a transaction in Udon. One account is a direct deposit account from the US to Pattaya. I am concerned about making the change to Udon.

I have one question now that I will have to go back to the Bank certification letter and bankbook update. I have read conflicting post that the letter has to be written the same day as applying for the extension, other say one or two days before. I am going for 90 day in 2 days so I will ask and I am going to the main branch of Udon Bangkok Bank to inquirer as well however, I would like to hear personal experiences since every IO has a different interpretation.

Also, do I have to go to Pattaya to get the letter or can I do it in Udon. Some post say I have to go to the Home Branch which in my case is Pattaya. I recall when I went to Jomtien Immigration I used the small branch of Bangkok Bank next to the Immigration Office, no problem. Thank you in advance.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: Bank Letter Certifying Account

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 11, 2019, 2:11 pm

LoneTraveler wrote:
February 11, 2019, 1:50 pm
I have one question now that I will have to go back to the Bank certification letter and bankbook update. I have read conflicting post that the letter has to be written the same day as applying for the extension, other say one or two days before. I am going for 90 day in 2 days so I will ask and I am going to the main branch of Udon Bangkok Bank to inquirer as well however, I would like to hear personal experiences since every IO has a different interpretation.
Any branch will do the letter, the day of application is best, the day before is often acceptable, you will probably have to get a statement covering the last 3 months as well though the branches near immigration will know if it is needed, that was what was supplied by my bank, the IO returns everything not required, he kept the statement. You will need copies of your bank book as well.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » February 11, 2019, 5:20 pm

Lone traveller , if your going to use BKK bank main branch Udon , check everything before you leave the branch on receipt of account letter , they have a habit of making mistakes , eg , wrong account number , wrong bank address , wrong sort code , on one occasion i had to go back a further 2 times due to their mistakes ,having been turned away by I/O , the bank also tried to charge me again for the letters they fck'd up , i now use SCB they have never made a mistake in 7 years ,

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » February 11, 2019, 5:30 pm

My experience in NK last month:

The bank letter must be dated the same day as extension application.
The bank book must show activity that day as well -- a deposit or withdrawal.
Previous SIX monthly statements (certified with bank stamp) required.

(If an applicant is showing the IO six months of activity and the bankbook itself with a transaction that day, isn't the letter showing current balance a bit redundant?)
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 11, 2019, 6:41 pm

I once tried to get my bank letter from a Bangkok Bank branch but was told I had to go to the branch where I set up the account. That was some years ago....don't know if things have changed.
More recently, my bankbook filled up and I again tried to get a new one at a branch but was directed to the main branch that set up the account.

Most people report that immigration wants the bank letter on the same day as applying for an extension. I'd be cautious about a bank branch in Udon telling you today that they'll give you a letter for immigration when the time comes......only to find out on the day of renewal that the bank won't. I don't know the mechanics of changing your direct deposit from one bank to another.......but if you're going to live in Udon, I'd think it'd be the right thing to do. Not to mention you're paying transaction fees every time you tap that account while in Udon.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » February 12, 2019, 7:12 am

parrot wrote:
February 11, 2019, 6:41 pm
I once tried to get my bank letter from a Bangkok Bank branch but was told I had to go to the branch where I set up the account. That was some years ago....don't know if things have changed.
More recently, my bankbook filled up and I again tried to get a new one at a branch but was directed to the main branch that set up the account.

Most people report that immigration wants the bank letter on the same day as applying for an extension. I'd be cautious about a bank branch in Udon telling you today that they'll give you a letter for immigration when the time comes......only to find out on the day of renewal that the bank won't. I don't know the mechanics of changing your direct deposit from one bank to another.......but if you're going to live in Udon, I'd think it'd be the right thing to do. Not to mention you're paying transaction fees every time you tap that account while in Udon.
Hi Parrot , it just shows what happens with one person may not be what happens to you , Getting the letter from the branch BKK bank would always take 2=3 days , as they'd to send to main bank in Udon ,so the only way to get the letter on the day of application for extension etc , you'd have to go to the main BKK bank in Udonthani ,(this was some years back as after a load of incorrect letters through the main bank i opened an account with SCB ) as for getting the letter same day as application there was never a problem with BKK bank only the fact that many times it was incorrect ,

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Post by LoneTraveler » February 12, 2019, 8:07 am

parrot wrote:
February 11, 2019, 6:41 pm

I had the problem of a full bankbook in Udon with my home branch in Pattaya. Initially, they would not give me a new book told me to go to Pattaya. I was given a new book in Udon at BKK Bank at Big C. Because I have 2 accounts my 2nd account book became filled, again refused, was told the problem was I got a new passport and the number changed from that on file in Pattaya. I showed them my old passport and they gave me a new book. I was in Pattaya on business and went to the branch I open the account and changed the passport numbers on both accounts. Have not had a problem since of getting a new book in BKK bank in Udon.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 12, 2019, 9:10 am

LoneTraveler wrote:
February 12, 2019, 8:07 am
I had the problem of a full bankbook in Udon with my home branch in Pattaya. Initially, they would not give me a new book told me to go to Pattaya. I was given a new book in Udon at BKK Bank at Big C. Because I have 2 accounts my 2nd account book became filled, again refused, was told the problem was I got a new passport and the number changed from that on file in Pattaya. I showed them my old passport and they gave me a new book. I was in Pattaya on business and went to the branch I open the account and changed the passport numbers on both accounts. Have not had a problem since of getting a new book in BKK bank in Udon.
That's a good point. Although BB are much more flexible now regarding at which branch you can conduct account-related business, get a new book, etc.,, keeping the 'home' branch personal file current is important. I too have an account in Pattaya and while I was there last week, exchanged my wafer-thin Be1st VISA debit card for their new MasterCard offering. I hit the branch around 9 AM with my passport and pass book and with only a couple of other customers, it took all of 10 minutes. Contrary to what I have read elsewhere about being 'forced' into buying insurance, it was only after I had the new card signed and PIN'd did the teller ask if I had insurance. When I told her I had, she politely pointed out the BB offering, gave me the brochure and her business card and said whenever my insurance was due for renewal, I should consider their offering.

Mikedee43
udonmap.com

Post by Mikedee43 » February 15, 2019, 6:01 pm

On my last extension application the letter from Bangkok Bank I got that day was not allowed as it did not show the current total.
I showed the IO all the photo copied pages of the savings book but these were, "Not important".
Fortunately the main branch is just around the corner and I went and got the total added and returned.
I held back the photo copies of the bank book pages but the IO insisted i passed them over, "Necessary part of the application"

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”