ID Required in Post Office

General Udon Thani topics only!
LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

ID Required in Post Office

Post by LoneTraveler » December 20, 2018, 2:04 pm

I went to mail a letter at the Udon Post Office to the US today and was asked for my Passport. Totally surprised! Unfortunately, I got a clerk that spoke very little English so I did not get a clear answer as to why He needed my Passport. He did accept my Thai License but he told me next time bring Passport. I told him to send regular mail and he place a registered mail number. Told him no but not sure he understood. Anyway is anyone aware of this new requirement. He told me Thai people must scan their ID card also. They have a scanner at each station. What is up with that?

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Re: ID Required in Post Office

Post by DuiDui49 » December 20, 2018, 5:02 pm

DRUGS...i guess.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 20, 2018, 5:33 pm

Nothing new ....... required ID to send pension letter years ago :-k

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 20, 2018, 5:44 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
December 20, 2018, 5:33 pm
Nothing new ....... required ID to send pension letter years ago :-k
Yes, usual practice in most post offices, one place where the pink card can be useful.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » December 20, 2018, 9:33 pm

I always send any mail to my family in the States registered.. The Post Office (I use the main one's drive through window) has asked me for identification for at least a year and a half... The first time they asked it was for my passport which I didn't have. I asked them if they'd take my Thai Driver's license and they said "sure." I've offered it up at least a dozen times with no problems..
Dave

tutone
udonmap.com

Post by tutone » December 21, 2018, 6:32 am

I usually use the post office in Non Sung and I have never been asked for an I.D. for either sending or picking up mail. I remember the first time I picked up mail at Non Sung and assumed I would need I.D. so I took my passport but they didn't ask and haven't since. I sent a package to Cambodia back in July at the main office in Udon and I'm pretty sure they didn't ask me for my passport I really don't recall if I showed them my Thai D.L.

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Post by LoneTraveler » December 21, 2018, 7:53 am

I forgot to mention that I have used this Post Office ( Pho Si ) in Udon for the past 7 years and never have been asked for ID, that is why I was surprised. Also, it is the first time I have seen card readers at each station so must be a policy that is being enforced.

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » December 21, 2018, 10:44 am

Been doing this for years here in Loei, no problem as you are supposed to have your passport with you at all times????????

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 21, 2018, 2:57 pm

Been doing it for years at main Udon post office minimiglia .. letters as well as parcels

As for having your Govts passport with you at all times, I suspect they would be horrified if you wandered about all day every day with their property in your sky rocket after them telling you to "keep it safe" :lol:

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » December 21, 2018, 5:14 pm

the law says you carry it at all times

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » December 21, 2018, 5:52 pm

No it doesn't.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 21, 2018, 5:53 pm

There's a large placard right next to the ticket dispensing machine upstairs at Phosri main post office that explains in Thai and English the need for EVERYONE to provide ID with possibly the exception of any small. domestic letters. I was posting my request for an income letter to the BE via EMS and they accepted my pink ID card.

(must remember this for the next time the perpetual debate about the usefulness of the pink ID card comes up)

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 22, 2018, 7:33 am

minimiglia wrote:
December 21, 2018, 5:14 pm
No it doesn't.

One of the top officers in the immigration bureau has specifically stated that you don't need to carry it, that a copy is sufficient.

Most times a Thai driving licence or pink card is sufficient and the passport copy stays in my bag.
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » December 22, 2018, 8:18 am

This identification thing in the post officers started about 2 years ago when there was concern about the unrest in the South, it gradually petered out over time but has been reinforced now due to so called intelligence information so my local postmaster tells me .
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » December 22, 2018, 8:24 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
December 22, 2018, 7:33 am
minimiglia wrote:
No it doesn't.

One of the top officers in the immigration bureau has specifically stated that you don't need to carry it, that a copy is sufficient.

Most times a Thai driving licence or pink card is sufficient and the passport copy stays in my bag.
Good luck with that when you get stopped by a jobs worth

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 22, 2018, 8:45 am

minimiglia wrote:
December 22, 2018, 8:24 am
minimiglia wrote:
No it doesn't.

You obviously know the law so please either quote the section that the the jobs worth will be relying on or post a link.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 22, 2018, 10:04 am

December 22, 2018, 8:45 am
minimiglia wrote:
December 22, 2018, 8:24 am
minimiglia wrote:
No it doesn't.

You obviously know the law so please either quote the section that the the jobs worth will be relying on or post a link.
The unpublished but widely known section that simply says he can?

Exactly the same as the unpublished but widely known 'law' that allows Immigration Officers to ask for more paperwork than they needed from the other guy.

All firmly couched in the generally accepted premise that they can make the 'law' up as they go along depending on the circumstances, time of day (or night), how hungry they are and their perception of how easily the 'mark' will rollover.

Now, momentarily back on topic, locals and foreigners are expected to show some form of government or state issued photo ID at the Post Office.

malc123
udonmap.com

Post by malc123 » December 22, 2018, 12:18 pm

I posted all my Christmas card to the UK last week from the post office in Big C near the Airport. Did not ask me for ID, had to show ID at the main post office to pick up a letter that was registered.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 22, 2018, 2:29 pm

tamada wrote:
December 22, 2018, 10:04 am

The unpublished but widely known section that simply says he can?

Exactly the same as the unpublished but widely known 'law' that allows Immigration Officers to ask for more paperwork than they needed from the other guy.

All firmly couched in the generally accepted premise that they can make the 'law' up as they go along depending on the circumstances, time of day (or night), how hungry they are and their perception of how easily the 'mark' will rollover.

Now, momentarily back on topic, locals and foreigners are expected to show some form of government or state issued photo ID at the Post Office.
The reason you, and nobody else, can quote a law on carrying a passport at all times is that it doesn't exist. You are required to carry some form of ID, a passport is one, a pink card is another, as is a Thai driving licence, that is the same for everyone in Thailand.

The police order specifically gives the right to immigration officers to require documents in addition to the published list, that is noted "in English as well as Thai" on the information sheets they give out, so you can't call that unpublished law, but just for you here it is.
IMG_5810.JPG

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 22, 2018, 9:39 pm

Christ on a bike! After all these years in LOS and some STILL can't grasp the concept of YMMV.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”