Why did you first visit Thailand

General Udon Thani topics only!
Rayq81
udonmap.com

Why did you first visit Thailand

Post by Rayq81 » December 10, 2018, 8:50 pm

It would be interesting to know how the forum members first came to be interested/Visit Thailand :

I first becams interested in Thailand after studying war history, I had originally studied numerous European countries in the quest to see and learn the history of WW2, this led me to get interested in the Vietnam war and I spent some time in Vietnam learning and visiting places of interest and relevant to the Vietnam war, this then led me to Thailand as I was interested to find out more about how America came to use Thailand and its Air bases and what its involvment was.

That was about 10 years ago and I still like to get out and about in the quest for learning.

I would love to hear some stories including those who were serving in the military, I absolutley love Thailand and more so the history and culture.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Re: Why did you first visit Thailand

Post by newtovillagelife » December 10, 2018, 9:06 pm

Affordable Prostitution.
Last edited by newtovillagelife on December 10, 2018, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » December 10, 2018, 9:19 pm

The military decided I should visit Utapao for 55 days.

Rayq81
udonmap.com

Post by Rayq81 » December 10, 2018, 9:20 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:
December 10, 2018, 9:06 pm
Prostitution.
I had a funny feeling that more than one user would state this, fine if thats what you came for you wont be the first or last. =D>

dezzer111
udonmap.com

Post by dezzer111 » December 10, 2018, 9:22 pm

Breakfast in Fuzzy Kens
"You'll Never Walk Alone"L.F.C.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » December 10, 2018, 11:33 pm

I wanted to visit Burma and had to get a ticket in Bangkok. Nothing was available so I went to Chiang Mai because I was told that there was a lot of Burmese influence in the north of Thailand. The North, which had been an independent political entity - Lanna) had been ruled by Burma for close to 300 years before the Siamese took over.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Rayq81
udonmap.com

Post by Rayq81 » December 10, 2018, 11:40 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
December 10, 2018, 11:33 pm
I wanted to visit Burma and had to get a ticket in Bangkok. Nothing was available so I went to Chiang Mai because I was told that there was a lot of Burmese influence in the north of Thailand. The North, which had been an independent political entity - Lanna) had been ruled by Burma for close to 300 years before the Siamese took over.
Thats very interesting, did you ever get to visit Burma ?

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » December 11, 2018, 5:14 am

All work and no play ,only had 2 day's off each year for 3 years (Christmasday & Newyears Day ,)after breakup of marriage ,grafted till i'd recouped all the money back , paid off the house ,,hired a big bike flew the Melbourne Australia ,cruised around for a month (December ) supposed to go back to work January ,rang work took January off ,(Demanded a no pay situation , as i knew i'd got the bug and would be off again that year ) flew to Newzealand ,1 month cruising around north island , ,later that year looking where next THAILAND it was then ,by this time i'd learnt the art of the Aussie WALKABOUT"S , rucksack and toss a coin , for direction ,never went anywhere else for 16 years ,

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » December 11, 2018, 6:55 am

I received orders to go to Thailand shortly after I returned to the U.S. from my deployment to Phan Rang Vietnam. The officer at the headquarters squadron told me that I could get out of the orders because I already had a deployment to South East Asia. I remembered one of the guys that I was stationed with at Phan Rang Vietnam telling me that if I ever have a chance to go to Thailand to take it because Thailand has the most beautiful women in the world. I accepted the orders and was sent to Korat and then, later on, I was transferred to Udorn. I fell in love with Thailand and I extended my deployment to Thailand for the remainder of my military enlistment. I did not want to leave. I met and married my Thai wife here in 1973 and went to the U.S. and we returned from the U.S. 40 years later to build our retirement home here in Issan.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 11, 2018, 8:05 am

A change of holiday year in my company which coincided with a Sunday colour supplement article about £5 per night beach front hotels
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » December 11, 2018, 8:58 am

After having lived in Manila for 11 years and traveled all over SE Asia doing business, I met my former Thai wife while both of us were working in Taipei, Taiwan. I decided to sponsor her and her 14 year old son for immigration to the US, so we flew to Bangkok to meet her family, legally marry and process through the US Embassy. I loved SE Asia back then because for me it was very easy to navigate through the red tape in government offices and other institutions using the "centers of influence" that I had developed along the way; plus, people everywhere seemed to have a love for young, successful American businessmen. On the other hand, trying to accomplish any task in Thailand was a real challenge. I had never encountered situations where government and private sector workers would automatically give me every reason in the world why something COULDN'T be accomplished instead of thinking outside the box and coming up with solutions to very simple problems. At the time I simply thought it was a "one off", but I wish now that I would have seen it as a huge red flag. Things haven't changed much in the past 28 years except that the locals seem to be even more obstinate when dealing with foreigners. My biggest regret in life is that I first set foot on Thailand soil in '91 and was foolish enough to return!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

mackat
udonmap.com

Post by mackat » December 11, 2018, 9:08 am

On my way to Mount Kelimutu and Komodo in Indonesia stopped over 3 days.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » December 11, 2018, 9:44 am

semperfiguy wrote:
December 11, 2018, 8:58 am
After having lived in Manila for 11 years and traveled all over SE Asia doing business, I met my former Thai wife while both of us were working in Taipei, Taiwan. I decided to sponsor her and her 14 year old son for immigration to the US, so we flew to Bangkok to meet her family, legally marry and process through the US Embassy. I loved SE Asia back then because for me it was very easy to navigate through the red tape in government offices and other institutions using the "centers of influence" that I had developed along the way; plus, people everywhere seemed to have a love for young, successful American businessmen. On the other hand, trying to accomplish any task in Thailand was a real challenge. I had never encountered situations where government and private sector workers would automatically give me every reason in the world why something COULDN'T be accomplished instead of thinking outside the box and coming up with solutions to very simple problems. At the time I simply thought it was a "one off", but I wish now that I would have seen it as a huge red flag. Things haven't changed much in the past 28 years except that the locals seem to be even more obstinate when dealing with foreigners. My biggest regret in life is that I first set foot on Thailand soil in '91 and was foolish enough to return!
I am curious as to why you don't leave then, it seems you have the financial means. By the way thanks for your insight.

thaiguzzi
udonmap.com

Post by thaiguzzi » December 11, 2018, 9:45 am

newtovillagelife wrote:
Affordable Prostitution.
The PC term for this is called "temples and beaches"...

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » December 11, 2018, 9:52 am

thaiguzzi wrote:
December 11, 2018, 9:45 am
newtovillagelife wrote:
Affordable Prostitution.
The PC term for this is called "temples and beaches"...
I don't have a problem with being honest, unlike many on this forum. Also I would be curious to know how many expats will admit to marrying, or being in a relationship with ex-bar girls.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » December 11, 2018, 9:58 am

You should begin another thread with that theme.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Fatone
udonmap.com

Post by Fatone » December 11, 2018, 10:27 am

Affordable prostitution ( temples & beaches )
married a bar girl I met on that trip. Built her a nice house. she lived wih me in australia for 7 years. when huse in seka finished she advised me she didnt love me anymore!
Now married to a wonderful girl somewhat older but still beautiful and living in saraburi Thailand in her house

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » December 11, 2018, 10:45 am

Fatone wrote:
December 11, 2018, 10:27 am
Affordable prostitution ( temples & beaches )
married a bar girl I met on that trip. Built her a nice house. she lived wih me in australia for 7 years. when huse in seka finished she advised me she didnt love me anymore!
Now married to a wonderful girl somewhat older but still beautiful and living in saraburi Thailand in her house
Thanks for the honesty. Glad things eventually worked out for you.

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » December 11, 2018, 1:30 pm

It was a Toss up 2 weeks full inclusive on Rhode's after my divorce or Phuket iv'e loved Thailand now for the past 10 years.
The climate and relative cheapness is my Magnet.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » December 11, 2018, 1:40 pm

I first visited in 1998. It was my first visit to Asia and I was also visiting Laos and Vietnam. I wasn't going for the Thai hookers but I felt every second person I knew was thinking he's going for the hookers.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”