Beware Amon in Big C

General Udon Thani topics only!
dunroaming
udonmap.com

Beware Amon in Big C

Post by dunroaming » September 26, 2018, 9:05 pm

We were running late today but needed a new earthed plug for the stick welder. I stopped outside whilst the wife nipped in to Amon to buy one (complete with old plug). A few minutes later she returned with a plug complete with cable and plastic connectors for a washing machine! WTF is that I asked don't worry Dear she replied Salesman said cut the plug off throw away the rest and just join the plug cables to the cable from the welder with electric tape job done. So already late sent her back inside for a refund, yes some of you have guessed no refund allowed at Amon even u explain the salesman sold you the completely wrong product with a cowboy way of making it work.. I wanted to go into the shop at this stage but already running late and the wife asking me not to I just gave up but will never shop there again it's not the first time been told complete crap but will be the last time. Anyway wife and I are now speaking again lol and it's completely my fault because I couldn't get parked and go myself!

choi choi
udonmap.com

Re: Beware Amon in Big C

Post by choi choi » September 27, 2018, 3:05 am

Amorn have always had the policy non return items. Best make sure you get what you want!
You should have gone yourself.Poor woman try to help,and gets stick!
Parking at Big C sometimes is full.But there is always spaces further outat the back.
But people dont want walk that far.Also a lot double park ...brake off

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » September 27, 2018, 9:26 am

I've never had a bad experience with them yet, they did the slot machines on my washing machines etc and I've bought lots of stuff in there, they're a bit like Tandy used to be back home but I guess the difference is I go in there myself knowing exactly what I need/want, Thai people are a bit too accomodating and believe everything the salesmen say, I've had the same with Fa.
Last edited by vincemunday on September 27, 2018, 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » September 27, 2018, 9:53 am

This is funny! Back in the US we have several well-known hardware store chains such as Home Depot or Lowe's. It has been my experience over the years that professional tradesmen are hired to staff the various departments. A real plumber will be found working in the plumbing department, a real electrician in the electrical department and so on, so one can generally ask for advice and feel assured that the answers are reasonably trustworthy. That isn't necessarily the case in Thailand. Just because a clerk works in a specific section of the store doesn't mean that person is qualified to give advice. I've lived here for 8 years and I can't recall ever having received trustworthy advice from any clerk in any store....period. As a matter of fact, it didn't take me long to realize that I need to search the internet or other sources for the answers to my problem before ever attempting to purchase the solution. Don't set yourself up for a fall. Never trust the advice of a Thai clerk! You'll be lucky if they can properly direct you to the area of the store where you can find the product you're looking for!
Last edited by semperfiguy on September 27, 2018, 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » September 27, 2018, 2:55 pm

Wow Semperfiguy, you certainly use a very very broad brush when criticising Thai's.
8 years and never found 1 store clerk who would be trusted to offer advice.
Yes some hardware stores in both your homeland and in my Australia have trained staff, but trying to use that as a reason to bag Thai's is a bit off the mark.

I have had the opposite experience in Thailand over a long period while building our house or general shopping and found plenty of Thais willing to help, but, willing to help doesn't always satisfy your needs though, but once you know the more senior lead person of the dept some product information is usually forthcoming. Give them a chance mate most are good kids and trying to help in some way and may be intimidated with language issues, just go with the flow. The ones standing around on their phones are not the ones i want to deal with anyway.
I'm not saying there are no problems from time to time, but one should being educated, and that includes my missus when she comes with me, in what you want prior to entering the store helps. I just have a quick check before hand on the internet to know what to look for and brand types.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » September 27, 2018, 4:52 pm

The first time my wife and I stopped in the store pictured below we were looking for ball bearing assembly for the wheels on our lawnmower. I showed the clerk my old bearing assembly and he got a vernier caliper and took some measurements and found a set of bearings that would work. When we paid for the bearings I complimented him on how well he spoke English. He told me that we was an architect graduate from the University of Georgia in the U.S.A. and he was working in the store to help his parents. Pretty well qualified if you ask me? Do not paint everybody with the same brush. Plenty of Thai tradesmen and laborers helped us out when we were building our house.

[img][attachment=0]Hardware Store.jpg[/attachment][/img]
Attachments
Hardware Store.jpg
Hardware Store.jpg (20.79 KiB) Viewed 2038 times
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » September 27, 2018, 5:08 pm

Would please share the name,address, phone number of the hardware shop you referred to ..
A map would certainly help.. Thanks. Have a safe pleasant day-evening.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 27, 2018, 5:19 pm

in bound to the city on Nittayo Road. Just across from the sports stadium and quite close to the stop light between the two m/c shops. https://www.google.com/maps/@17.3958279 ... 312!8i6656
Dave

thaiguzzi
udonmap.com

Post by thaiguzzi » September 27, 2018, 9:43 pm

dunroaming wrote:
September 26, 2018, 9:05 pm
We were running late today but needed a new earthed plug for the stick welder. I stopped outside whilst the wife nipped in to Amon to buy one (complete with old plug). A few minutes later she returned with a plug complete with cable and plastic connectors for a washing machine! WTF is that I asked don't worry Dear she replied Salesman said cut the plug off throw away the rest and just join the plug cables to the cable from the welder with electric tape job done. So already late sent her back inside for a refund, yes some of you have guessed no refund allowed at Amon even u explain the salesman sold you the completely wrong product with a cowboy way of making it work.. I wanted to go into the shop at this stage but already running late and the wife asking me not to I just gave up but will never shop there again it's not the first time been told complete crap but will be the last time. Anyway wife and I are now speaking again lol and it's completely my fault because I couldn't get parked and go myself!
.... and breathe out again....

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » September 28, 2018, 12:18 pm

I bought an air conditioner remote control there. Got home and it was not compatible with my air conditioner, so took it back to the check-out counter and received full refund, not one word spoken. No complaints, here.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 28, 2018, 12:26 pm

Beware ranting farangs... sending a wife to do a farang's work indeed.

...and unable to embrace the concept that in Thailand (and especially in covered parking at Big C) one doesn't actually park, one simply just stops driving. That's what the hazard flashers are for BTW.

If not already done, I hope you're buying dinner for your good wife.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » September 28, 2018, 1:32 pm

No Tam being from Aberdeen I just told her she can keep the lead assembly for herself. The point of my post is sales people are not reliable for giving correct replacement parts and that's just not in Thailand but around the world and the gullible will fall foul to their patter! Also not to offer a refund on the wrong item bought on their advice is not correct. Yes I should have gone myself I know but we were running late and thought her nipping in while I parked at the door would suffice. I have been using Armon 15 years and not the first time their advise has been wrong like u I bought a remote that wasn't compatible either. Oh and to make matters worse my trade is procurement services advisor for over 30 years

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » September 28, 2018, 1:41 pm

Personally I think you should dock the money from the missus's allowance or deprive the mother in law of a meal or two to make the money back, sod buying her a meal that'd be far too kind.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

bigsnake
udonmap.com

Post by bigsnake » September 28, 2018, 2:28 pm

dunroaming wrote:
September 26, 2018, 9:05 pm
[/quence ote]

Your last sentence said it all! I had similar experiences over the years, always prefer to do it myself.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 28, 2018, 8:48 pm

The staff are mostly useless, especially the 'techs' in the service department but my experience of Amorn's elsewhere in LOS indicates that they don't hire or retain the best and brightest. Generally if one knows what one wants, it's either they have it or they don't and no point in asking either. I guess sending the wife or a relative in does introduce the risk of getting the clueless salesman like the OP's missus got. He probably was the clown that likes to crank up the karaoke set to unreasonable levels. When I hear they have it already cranked up, I don't bother going in and shop another day. Same happens upstairs when some shrieking woman starts squawking on the portable PA about todays special at Big C.

I reckon the Mr. D.I.Y.outlets are a much better source of non-electrical things that you may need. The one in central is rather small compared to the one out in Nong Han but their other, newer in-town branch in Landmark/tukcom is quite decent and always subtle differences in what they each stock which makes it worthwhile checking them all. Cheap (disposable?) tools, hardware, plumbing fixtures and a fair few aisles of kitchen and household stuff for her indoors to fill a basket with.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”