Clearing the Streets

General Udon Thani topics only!
parrot
udonmap.com

Clearing the Streets

Post by parrot » August 14, 2018, 2:03 pm

We were with friends at Central yesterday. Because of a 'family' visitor at Centara Hotel...and because it was a holiday, I dropped off at the front door and ended up parking just around the corner on Wattananuwong Rd....in a legal space along the street.
As we were leaving, I noticed the police were gearing up for the visitor's departure.......lots of police action......and when we got to my truck, there was a 'mini' tow truck driver ready to connect chains to my truck. And sure enough....all of Wattanuwong Rd on the left side going toward Nongprajak was cleared of parked vehicles.
The tow truck driver seemed pleased that I had arrived.......several police in the immediate vicinity of my truck were busy getting ready to lock down the street.
I didn't waste time asking questions......I know the drill.......and wanted to clear town before the streets to the airport were blocked for clear passage.
But....when I got home, I got to wondering. I most always park in first gear and I always set my parking brake. I didn't notice, but maybe the tow driver would have hoisted the front of my truck, then rolled 'skateboard' wheels under the rear. And then, where would my NEW truck have been towed to?????
So.....a word of warning when those visitors come to town! Parkers, beware!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Clearing the Streets

Post by stattointhailand » August 14, 2018, 2:14 pm

And unlike many countries I very much doubt that a compensation claim against BIB for illegal towing/damage/Inconvenience/Lost time would get you very much joy :lol:

On the subject of the heading (although not the post) wouldnt it be a good idea to give all members of BIB a broom and get them to clean the streets whilst they stand around waiting for said "visitors" motorcade to pass.
Perhaps Thailand would return to the fairly clean country it WAS many years ago :-k

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » August 14, 2018, 2:30 pm

Don't know who the VIP was on Sunday but dozens of police stationed on Khon Kaen Road heading into the City this was about 6.00 pm heading home at 7.45 they were still there so they had plenty of time to clean the gutters.

MusicalBars
udonmap.com

Post by MusicalBars » August 14, 2018, 9:37 pm

there is a devision of the Udon police that deals with rubbish but only ever seen them at the main gov hospital but they only demand cleaning where there are vendors 20 m down the road piled up garbage and they ignore it because no vendor to send to do the dirty work they have a green stripe on there helmet and it says Tankaya police . I did think who did they piss off to get that job

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » August 15, 2018, 5:13 am

I THINK you'll find the VIP was the Royal Princess Chulabhorn Walailak.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » August 15, 2018, 10:16 am

Interesting, Parrot. I think you were fortunate to return to your car when you did. If I recall, you can read/speak some Thai. Were there no warnings, written notices, megaphones that one side of the road was to be cleared of parked vehicles? I’m trying to figure whether it was pre-planned (the tow truck was there, but perhaps that’s the norm), or a late whim of a police officer. One way or another, it wasn’t organized well.
Thais and foreigners here have to ‘fall in line’ over various things, some perhaps sensible, others crazy. In this scenario, as someone has pointed out, I’d be pretty mad if that co-operation meant my car being towed off without warning and possibly damaged. Can you imagine the frustration, hassle, red tape, time and perhaps further costs of trying to get repair costs reimbursed?

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 15, 2018, 10:41 am

" Were there no warnings, written notices, megaphones that one side of the road was to be cleared of parked vehicles?"

Because I had to park along Wattanuwong Rd (almost always can find a parking spot in the Central lots), I checked and double checked the area where I parked to be sure it wasn't a bus zone or otherwise off-limits. There were plenty of other cars also parked on the same side...at that time.
When I returned, the road was completely clear except for my truck...and the tow truck. The operator was all ready to hook up my truck...and seemed relieved that I had arrived to drive away.
I know the drill when high level visitors come to town. The princess was a frequent visitor when Ajahn Maha Bua was still alive....and apparently, she's visiting again more frequently now that the museum in his honor is going up.
Separate subject but related......has anyone been out by Wat Pa Ban Tat lately? Last I read, villagers donated lots of land to allow the government to widen the road from KK Hwy to the temple grounds.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » August 15, 2018, 10:46 am

parrot wrote:
August 15, 2018, 10:41 am
" Were there no warnings, written notices, megaphones that one side of the road was to be cleared of parked vehicles?"

Because I had to park along Wattanuwong Rd (almost always can find a parking spot in the Central lots), I checked and double checked the area where I parked to be sure it wasn't a bus zone or otherwise off-limits. There were plenty of other cars also parked on the same side...at that time.
When I returned, the road was completely clear except for my truck...and the tow truck. The operator was all ready to hook up my truck...and seemed relieved that I had arrived to drive away.
I know the drill when high level visitors come to town.
But it's not really any different from when the U.S. President is local, is it? Granted, though, they clear the streets and take other precautions (like welding manhole covers shut) at least days in advance in the U.S.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » August 15, 2018, 11:34 am

Udon Map wrote:
August 15, 2018, 10:46 am
But it's not really any different from when the U.S. President is local, is it? .....
Ah, yes. I'm not disputing the need for security and all that involves. The difference is that in the US you'd be more than aware what's going on. Here, from this example, it's somewhat unclear. I wonder if there was a whole bunch of car owners wondering where their cars went?

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 15, 2018, 12:40 pm

I was mostly concerned about the care that the converted pickup truck-tow truck driver might give to my new truck.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » August 15, 2018, 4:47 pm

parrot wrote:
August 15, 2018, 12:40 pm
I was mostly concerned about the care that the converted pickup truck-tow truck driver might give to my new truck.
Of course.
"and seemed relieved that I had arrived to drive away."
It occurs to me that, as yours was the last (and new car), he shared the same sentiments! 8-[

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”