Supermarket prices out of control

General Udon Thani topics only!
Chuchi
udonmap.com

Re: Supermarket prices out of control

Post by Chuchi » August 3, 2018, 6:34 am

rick wrote:
August 2, 2018, 11:51 pm
Just try to find substitutes for those stupidly priced items. As said, the price of Mainland cheddar went up in all shops, so not just Tesco doing it, That makes it 3 times the price of Makro bulk cheddar, so i do not buy Mainland .... Some 3 in 1 coffees went up by nearly 10% last month. I stopped buying Ayams when they went over 33 baht a tin.
You are probably aware of the ridiculous price increases on wine a couple of months ago - about 50% increase in retail price due to tax - the supermarket shelves are now full of crap wine at 300 baht a litre or much more - full because no one buys it. Vote with your feet.

Prices of many electrical appliances are tumbling - maybe because of Trump tariffs leaving surplus stock in China. The EU is also loading up with discounted USA soya beans which the chinese no longer buy. Someone usually profits by someone else's misfortune.
Trouble for me Rick I love strong cheese ,I find Mainland Epicure and Vintage are the best I have found.When Tesco increased the price to 209 I stopped buying out of principle, bought some again the other day now it’s back at 189.

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » August 3, 2018, 3:04 pm

You are all right . i have been shopping at tesco nadee weekly for 11 yrs but 2 weeks ago was my last time .The shop has shrunk with the new clothes shop and another row of glass cases all selling the same watches with no customers for even the first shops . The aisles are all blocked with boxes with the shelf packers sitting on the floor playing with their phones. Price rise that i have noticed in the last 6 weeks
Tbags 90baht to 115baht
yoghurts i buy from 45 baht to 54
milk 84baht to 91
potatos 34 baht to this week 45
Carrots 19 baht to 29
500gm of frozen shrimp 299 to 369
custard tarts 16 baht to 22
Tin of buscuits 167baht to 199
green can of fly spray 84baht to 105
take it chocolate from 16 baht to 22baht
it is now as cheap to get a lot of it as bread milk etc from a new 7/11 that has just opened near me and now meat and veg in my local market is now cheaper and fresher than tesco . tesco is now finished for me . stupid people running it .
I took a lot of these items to the customer service desk 2 weeks ago and i asked why but just got that stupid thai grin

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » August 3, 2018, 5:52 pm

I took a lot of these items to the customer service desk 2 weeks ago and i asked why but just got that stupid thai grin

Well at least it was better than them saying " Oh ! You Farang you can pay "

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » August 3, 2018, 6:29 pm

Eat like a Thai prices are affordable, eat like a foreigner, you pay. Why should they keep prices low for .000001% of the population.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 3, 2018, 6:38 pm

don't have to keep the prices low, just reasonable. If they mark the product up too high its likely to gather dust on the shelves...
Dave

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » August 3, 2018, 6:39 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:
August 3, 2018, 6:29 pm
Eat like a Thai prices are affordable, eat like a foreigner, you pay. Why should they keep prices low for .000001% of the population.
Well if you want to eat MaMa Noodles every meal just go ahead,But count me OUT !!

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » August 3, 2018, 6:52 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:
August 3, 2018, 6:29 pm
Thats a bit silly , tesco by its very nature is built to cater for western culture , and thais wishing to sample western products that is why it sells western products . I dont know where you come from but it is a uk shop .If it only wanted to sell cheap thai products it should just change to ngee soon .
It is up to them what they charge , it is my prerogative to say i think they charge to much and as most would say if you do not like it do not shop there which is exactly what i am doing '
Tomorrow will got to 7/11 in nakha for milk ,bread ,sugar ,buscuits ,cereal , water etc all now the same or cheaper than tesco then to the market for meat and veg .Only thing i wll need to find is potatos, vitalite margarine ,tbags ( I have 6 months stock )and do need need to spend my weekly 4,000 baht at tesco

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » August 3, 2018, 7:45 pm

Was in Makro today and hand soap is up 10.3 %

Another indication we are in for a surprise

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 3, 2018, 8:01 pm

When we visit our daughter in Texas we're able to shop at a wide variety of Asian grocery stores. Papayas $1.99 a pound here but $1.25 there. Fresh Thai chili peppers $5.99 a pound at one store but $2.50 at another. You can go to the Royal Project store in Central and buy bell peppers 3 for around 50 Baht, but the same peppers will be significantly more in Tops. Villagers sell produce for a song at the market in Nongwahsaw, but you'll pay a premium for the exact same veggies/fruit in the Ban Hui market on the same day.....no matter if you're Thai or foreigner.
Why have my Kellogg's corn flakes 500g cost 94 Baht at Ngeesoon for the last 8 or so years, but 99-125 for the exact same box at different stores? I don't lose sleep over that......just take joy in knowing that there are options in Udon.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » August 4, 2018, 12:28 am

When I was living in Thailand I started eating oats as they were the cheapest cereal. Lucky me, I subsequently found out they are very healthy. I still regularly eat them 15 years later.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » August 4, 2018, 4:08 am

Before I came back to the UK to do a bit work I did some messages at Tesco Udon. I thought I would go home and google the prices in the Tesco shops UK. To my surprise I could have bought the same goods for 45% cheaper if had I been in the UK. And they were not all imported goods!!!

Beer prices are also higher in Thailand and it's not just the imported or made under licence beers.
Went to Blackpool to see a wee mate and a pint of John Smiths was £1.60.
I'll be havin my pints of Belhaven tomorrow...£2.45 = Aboot 103 Baht,...
Attachments
20180721_085851.jpg
20180721_085844.jpg

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » August 4, 2018, 6:22 am

I do realize that Tesco is a UK based business, but it's Tesco Lotus division caters to Thais. To say otherwise is SILLY and makes no business sense whatsoever.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » August 4, 2018, 10:14 am

Wee Jimmy wrote:
August 4, 2018, 4:08 am
Before I came back to the UK to do a bit work I did some messages at Tesco Udon. I thought I would go home and google the prices in the Tesco shops UK. To my surprise I could have bought the same goods for 45% cheaper if had I been in the UK. And they were not all imported goods!!!

Beer prices are also higher in Thailand and it's not just the imported or made under licence beers.
That is surprising, why? Thai alcohol tax is high.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » August 4, 2018, 10:41 am

Last month I was drinking magners 440ml @ 55p a can in the uk.here it's 110b from shop or £2.50.. I think the uk should have a trade war.i can't see what the problem is.if one country taxes your goods you sell them then tax theirs the same.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » August 4, 2018, 11:13 am

The Thais are concerned about their citizens health, and want them to restrict alcoholic intake. Maybe they care about Falangs also.....

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » August 4, 2018, 11:19 am

newtovillagelife wrote:
August 4, 2018, 11:13 am
The Thais are concerned about their citizens health, and want them to restrict alcoholic intake. Maybe they care about Falangs also.....
:lol: :lol: :lol: 555 !!!

skinner
udonmap.com

Post by skinner » August 4, 2018, 12:01 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
August 4, 2018, 10:14 am
Wee Jimmy wrote:

It isn't the alcohol tax that affects foreign alcohol. The tax is high on all foreign foodstuffs and drinks coming in . Cheese and tea bags are prime examples.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 4, 2018, 12:15 pm

Seems some folks have forgotten that a litre of petrol in their home country is going for a wee bit more than it is in Thailand. Or getting their vehicle serviced......or going to the dentist......or paying a speeding fine
As for oats......I agree, a good deal. The cheapest rolled oats go for about 45 Baht per 400g.....one type from Australia and another from Germany. But then there are similarly sized bags of regular rolled oats from other countries for much much more. Never could figure out why.
Well, time to go pay my TV license.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » August 4, 2018, 1:25 pm

skinner wrote:
August 4, 2018, 12:01 pm
Wee Jimmy wrote:

It isn't the alcohol tax that affects foreign alcohol. The tax is high on all foreign foodstuffs and drinks coming in . Cheese and tea bags are prime examples.
I don't follow you! Of course the Thai alcohol tax affects foreign alcohol, as it does local drink, there are also import duties and taxes, that impact non Thai drink as well as other imports .

So it isn't surprising that beer is more expensive in Thailand than in the UK since local beer is extremely expensive relative to average local wages.

FWIW good single malt whisky is much cheaper in Japan than in the U.K.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » August 4, 2018, 1:46 pm

August 4, 2018, 1:25 pm
skinner wrote:
August 4, 2018, 12:01 pm
Wee Jimmy wrote:

I don't follow you! Of course the Thai alcohol tax affects foreign alcohol, as it does local drink, there are also import duties and taxes, that impact non Thai drink as well as other imports .

So it isn't surprising that beer is more expensive in Thailand than in the UK since local beer is extremely expensive relative to average local wages.

FWIW good single malt whisky is much cheaper in Japan than in the U.K.
I dont really follow you . most beers sold in tesco uk are foreign imported and still cheap as the budwieser and stella i usualy drink . Could buy a box of stella 24 ,500ml cans which worked out at 60p a can about 25 baht a can . tesco makro and big c are not really cheaper than my local shop .

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”