General Udon Thani topics only!
mortsyn
udonmap.com

Re: Don Bosco school

Post by mortsyn » August 2, 2018, 12:32 pm

boes wrote:
August 1, 2018, 9:25 pm
Thanks Mortsyn !!
Exactly the info i've been waiting for.. thanks again !
More info is very welcome...
One thing I forgot to say that I like, is the monthly report we get for each kid.
This morning we had a parents-teachers meeting, with the head of school and head of program attending. Various topics were discussed (mostly i Thai). I asked them to add information about the English Program on their website.
If you have more questions, please let me know and I try to find the answer.

ThaiSurfer

Post by ThaiSurfer » August 2, 2018, 1:13 pm

Agree with highlighted text, no matter the school, the student does need to want an education.
12345 wrote:
August 1, 2018, 9:56 am
My daughter graduated from DB (2017), after transferring over from St Mary's. She applied herself to the studies, with a wee bit of extra, almost mandatory.

She had her choice of any Uni after graduation, and chose Thammasat Uni, ranked top 5 ish in Thailand, and doing quite well there. Had test scores good enough for Chula and another, both ranked #1, depending which ranking you looked at.

DB has a deal with KKU, another top rated Uni, for so many students a year to be admitted.

Expect about >20k per semester, all in.

AND ......... NEVER A MENTION OF TEA MONEY / DONATION, for position on waiting list. Traffic is traffic, if you go when everyone else goes, you'll be in rush hour. Timing, is everything, everywhere, and never a problem to/from, when leaving house when supposed to. Same as above, extra classes helped with later pickup, less traffic.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » August 2, 2018, 10:55 pm

Had a friend who was asked 35,000 baht to get his sons name on the waiting list - although that was some years ago. Luckily i have a daughter so she goes to St Mary's. Never asked for tea money there.

mortsyn
udonmap.com

Post by mortsyn » August 3, 2018, 10:52 am

I never heard of any tea money in Don Bosco during the 7 years I have used them. Kids moving in from other school have to pass some tests.

runrunshaw
udonmap.com

Post by runrunshaw » August 3, 2018, 7:27 pm

My son attended DB in 2017, level K-1. No hidden costs, and a straightforward admission process. It was recently ranked in--I believe--the top ten of schools in Thailand. Still, we pulled him out and sent him to St. Mary's where my daughter was attending. Dealing with DB traffic, and then a repeat of the madness at St. Mary's twice a day, was just too much.

My international school teacher friends in Bangkok, who have been teaching all over the country for the last 30 years, recently advised me that it's not critical to get the kids into the #1 school from such a young age. The advice was, as long as they're in a decent school, they're fine, until they get older; that's when you transfer them into a place like DB or the right international school.

At St. Mary's--which is generally considered the #2 school in town and costs roughly the same(give or take a couple of thousand baht, as I recall)--we pay for official "extra learning" for both of them, and also have them in additional weekend classes. They're both doing well.

Don Bosco has the cachet, and so one acquires "face" by having your kids in those 40-50 student classes. And it's truly a good pedigree for a graduation certificate.

The crazy thing for me is, St. Mary's has a better vibe. I never liked the feeling I got at DB. Just sayin.'
The best gadget is the human brain.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » August 3, 2018, 8:07 pm

If we are on the subject of various schools here is my 2 cents worth
We also attended DB for an interview and was told our 3 year old was not outgoing enough (interviewed by a man) so we moved on to St Mary's.Initially we were pleased but soon we discovered several things that set us off.
Beginning was the facilities for washing was not up to my wife's standard. (you would have to discuss this with her)
The size of classes. Ours was at 40 pupils .
Extra classes that we paid for were not up to par as we found out a teacher was not in attendance full time
Phonics for English. Now this is difficult as many Thai English organizations do not , nor do they want to teach English using Phonics
Traffic who needs it and who wants it
We then ventured out and discovers Holy Mary and it has being excellent. Our daughter is in her second year and can read English very well using Phonics .She does not attend extra classes after school The facilities are new and kept to a high standard. Traffic is also high as we have a trip to the school

Now I am not saying that Holy Mary is the best I am saying that we are happy and especially our Daughter with it Many others will and are elated with the school their children are in and I am happy for them

Good Luck in your endeavors

lahgon29
udonmap.com

Post by lahgon29 » August 4, 2018, 2:23 pm

My 3yo daughter started DB in April. Summer school. Now Kindy. It was 23k. Next term cheaper apparently. Interview was asking her about colours and numbers. She was in a sh#t of a mood and wouldn't talk. Then saw the director? Small guy in robe. He seemed to be more concerned about whether I lived here, I was the real dad, and if mum and me were going to stick together.
No mention of bribery, donations etc. He seemed happy and she's here now. No complaints yet. Aircon, clean and she's happy.
As for traffic, I'm close enough to motorcycle it. If it was car it would be stressful some days!
Its not the same as a private Aus school, I admit. But it seems good for here.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 22, 2022, 5:48 pm

Don Bosco is offering a 4 week English training program in Perth, Australia, during the month of March. Any chance anyone out there has sent their early high school child to one of these programs?

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » November 22, 2022, 8:05 pm

A good friend of mine has 2 kids at Don Bosco. Will ask him. Sounds a fantastic opportunity to go to Perth.

Don't suppose you know the price they will charge and how they will manage visas / etc?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 22, 2022, 10:24 pm

Might be good idea to keep one eye on the Covid info from Aus as well. Numbers currently rising quickly and its their Summer.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-11-12/ ... /101644156

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 23, 2022, 9:55 am

stattointhailand wrote:
November 22, 2022, 10:24 pm
Might be good idea to keep one eye on the Covid info from Aus as well. Numbers currently rising quickly and its their Summer.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-11-12/ ... /101644156
I've just done ~6 weeks in Perth and WA. When it comes so Covid, here's something a lot more scary.

Boo!!!
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » November 23, 2022, 10:16 am

I would keep an eye out also
Seems Australia is reporting new cases each day

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 23, 2022, 11:05 am

Doodoo wrote:
November 23, 2022, 10:16 am

And...

Boo!!!
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » November 23, 2022, 11:25 am

My opinion with data
Your opinion with "BOO"

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 23, 2022, 11:55 am

Doodoo wrote:
November 23, 2022, 10:16 am

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

https://covidlive.com.au/wa

Point to note - Australia is a bloody big place.

Pro V1
udonmap.com

Post by Pro V1 » November 24, 2022, 3:58 pm

Getting back on topic. My 7 year old has just started this term on the International Program at Don Bosco. It’s very early days, but so far I am quite pleased. Teaching is in English and Thai, with both Thai and Falang staff.

The interview process was run professionally and (from memory) it’s 35-40,000 THB a term.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » November 24, 2022, 4:10 pm

The main issue with Don Bosco is that it only goes to M3, then you have to find another school to finish the final three years.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » November 24, 2022, 4:46 pm

fatbob wrote:
November 24, 2022, 4:10 pm
The main issue with Don Bosco is that it only goes to M3, then you have to find another school to finish the final three years.
M6.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » November 24, 2022, 5:37 pm

mak wrote:
November 24, 2022, 4:46 pm
fatbob wrote:
November 24, 2022, 4:10 pm
M6.
Not according to my missus and the Mums who's kids go there, M3 is it.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 24, 2022, 6:37 pm

Written exams for M.4 admission are in Feb. Don't know about the other grades.
http://www.donbosco.ac.th/

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”