5 Year Renewal of Driver's License

General Udon Thani topics only!
tamada
udonmap.com

Re: 5 Year Renewal of Driver's License

Post by tamada » July 11, 2020, 6:29 am

When I was picking up my new rego plates at the Hwy 2 office late last year, Mrs tam enquired about her 5 year DL renewal and they referred her to the online app and booking a test at the newly opened shop in Central which she did. It looked like testing at Hwy 2 stops at 2 p.m. so maybe the option of the late Friday afternoon fast in-out is no longer possible?

To clarify things, maybe members can post WHEN they last managed to get tested at Hwy 2 or AEK offices and the time?

Ta
tam

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » July 11, 2020, 8:30 am

kopkei wrote:
July 10, 2020, 5:22 pm
yes 10.00 AM... ;)
God morning "kopkei"!!

Thank you for the info,will go there next week i think.

Have a blessed day my friend...:-)

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » July 12, 2020, 8:00 pm

timmy wrote:
July 10, 2020, 6:42 am
can do the online questions , our driving licence numbers are just the same as the Thais .. i did mine online last week . very easy to do .
The registration page asks for a national ID number (13 digits). I tried my passport number (9 digits) but it wouldn’t accept it.

How did you do it?
UFF DA!

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » July 12, 2020, 8:10 pm

mickojak wrote:
June 30, 2020, 9:46 am
I just completed the online training.
Trying to do the same. What did you input for “national ID number” ?
UFF DA!

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » July 12, 2020, 9:07 pm

Try looking at your old driving licence should be there my one is passport number

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » July 13, 2020, 6:36 am

Jello wrote:
July 12, 2020, 8:10 pm
mickojak wrote:
June 30, 2020, 9:46 am
I just completed the online training.
Trying to do the same. What did you input for “national ID number” ?
if you have a " Pink card " that works .

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » July 13, 2020, 7:42 am

timmy wrote:
July 13, 2020, 6:36 am
if you have a " Pink card " that works .
Ok, thanks Timmy.
UFF DA!

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » July 13, 2020, 8:48 am

My Thai wife renewed her 5 year license for another 5 years last Friday in Central Plaza. If one enters the mall through the main front doors, then proceed to the far left hand corner of the building, 2nd Floor. The mall opens at 10:30 Mon-Fri, but the DL office doesn't get started until around 11,but you can get in line and then wait for a queue number when they open. She had to watch the one hour video beginning at 11:30, then had to stay in the small room until her queue number was called to come out and take the photo and print the license. There was no request for a Blue House Book or a Doctor's Certificate...just give them the old license and ID Card and fill out and sign a document once a queue number has been assigned. Price for the auto DL was 505 Baht.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

tutone
udonmap.com

Post by tutone » July 13, 2020, 1:40 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
July 13, 2020, 8:48 am
My Thai wife renewed her 5 year license for another 5 years last Friday in Central Plaza. If one enters the mall through the main front doors, then proceed to the far left hand corner of the building, 2nd Floor. The mall opens at 10:30 Mon-Fri, but the DL office doesn't get started until around 11,but you can get in line and then wait for a queue number when they open. She had to watch the one hour video beginning at 11:30, then had to stay in the small room until her queue number was called to come out and take the photo and print the license. There was no request for a Blue House Book or a Doctor's Certificate...just give them the old license and ID Card and fill out and sign a document once a queue number has been assigned. Price for the auto DL was 505 Baht.
No tests? Color, reaction?

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » July 13, 2020, 2:38 pm

tutone wrote:
July 13, 2020, 1:40 pm
semperfiguy wrote:

Sorry Tutone, forgot to include that here. Yes, they test your speed on hitting the brake and test your color-blindness by identifying colors on a traffic light.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » July 13, 2020, 2:39 pm

tutone wrote:
July 13, 2020, 1:40 pm
semperfiguy wrote:

Sorry Tutone, forgot to include that here. Yes, they test your speed on hitting the brake and test your color-blindness by identifying colors on a traffic light.

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » July 22, 2020, 6:51 am

test_colours.jpg
renewed both my licenses yesterday at the plaza , got there dead on 11am was done and out by 11/20 am , there are a few things to put straight , with the " on line test " it tells you to do it twice , once for each licence and take a photo of each pass they send to you . the lady at the office says they only need to see 1 pass for it to be o.k . secondly the colour blind test is NOT a traffic light but a large circle with many different sized small circles inside . so for anybody who is colour blind ( same as me ) will find it much easier as you can play 1 colour off against another .

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 5, 2020, 10:32 am

timmy wrote:
July 22, 2020, 6:51 am
test_colours.jpgrenewed both my licenses yesterday at the plaza , got there dead on 11am was done and out by 11/20 am , there are a few things to put straight , with the " on line test " it tells you to do it twice , once for each licence and take a photo of each pass they send to you . the lady at the office says they only need to see 1 pass for it to be o.k . secondly the colour blind test is NOT a traffic light but a large circle with many different sized small circles inside . so for anybody who is colour blind ( same as me ) will find it much easier as you can play 1 colour off against another .
What documentation do they need to check, specifically what's in your passport? Just the photo/data page or dio they need to check you visa/extension as well?

I read that they will only give another 5-year DL to those having long-stay rights like an extension. Otherwise, you get a 2-year DL.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 5, 2020, 10:41 am

tamada wrote:
December 5, 2020, 10:32 am

I read that they will only give another 5-year DL to those having long-stay rights like an extension. Otherwise, you get a 2-year DL.
Either a year extension or one of the Non Immigrate visas.

But the Elite Visa or extension from it doesn’t apply and only gets a 2 year temporary licence in the same way as VE or Tourist visas.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 5, 2020, 10:51 am

I currently have a 90-day Non-O (Thai spouse) so is that good for a 5-year DL?

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » December 5, 2020, 12:57 pm

tamada wrote:
December 5, 2020, 10:51 am
they needed a copy of both your photo page and visa page from passport , but i,m sure a Non-O visa is fine for a 5 year renewal , i found the people in the plaza driving office very easy to deal with .

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 5, 2020, 1:16 pm

timmy wrote:
December 5, 2020, 12:57 pm
tamada wrote:
they needed a copy of both your photo page and visa page from passport , but i,m sure a Non-O visa is fine for a 5 year renewal , i found the people in the plaza driving office very easy to deal with .
Thanks timmy.

Point of note: when Mrs tam renewed her Thai DL last April, she had let it lapse so they only gave her a 2-year one. They said if she had renewed it on-or-before the due date, she would have got a 5-year license again.

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » December 6, 2020, 7:19 am

tamada wrote:
December 5, 2020, 1:16 pm
timmy wrote:
December 5, 2020, 12:57 pm
tamada wrote:
Thanks timmy.

Point of note: when Mrs tam renewed her Thai DL last April, she had let it lapse so they only gave her a 2-year one. They said if she had renewed it on-or-before the due date, she would have got a 5-year license again.
i think your allowed upto 90 days after your license has expired to renew it . i,m on my 3rd 5 year license and i always renew 2 days after my B/D .

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 6, 2020, 7:52 am

timmy wrote:
December 6, 2020, 7:19 am

i think your allowed upto 90 days after your license has expired to renew it . i,m on my 3rd 5 year license and i always renew 2 days after my B/D .
Do please stop spreading misinformation. 90 days is not now and has never been a limit. Any office that doesn’t follow the rules that are clearly laid out in both Thai and English are breaking them and you can go to any other DLT office to renew.

Check for yourself at

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/two-year-license/

Look at the page that has been posted before that is under.

DLT rules give 1 year for renewal with no penalty (apart from not driving)
Then 2 more years for only a theory test.
After 3 years you need both the theory test and practical test.
2255B064-AA4B-41BE-BB93-F231D150A7D4.jpeg
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on December 6, 2020, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

thecroc4
udonmap.com

Post by thecroc4 » December 6, 2020, 8:20 am

I renewed my licence last week in central plaza, 3rd licence, out of date by over 7 months, no problems.

Handed copy of my passport, photo page and visa page.
Copy of my work permit
Watched a 1 hour video.
Afterwards they took a photo and 5 minutes later had my new licence. 505baht.
Whole process just over an hour

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”