5 Year Renewal of Driver's License

General Udon Thani topics only!
kopkei
udonmap.com

Re: 5 Year Renewal of Driver's License

Post by kopkei » October 8, 2019, 7:06 pm

after reading all this i went to check my wife her motorbike dl...expired for almost 3 months :(
so she went to make renewal (5year to 5year at AEK), needed old dl, id card , no health certificate needed ,falang will need yellow house book or proof of residence from immigration (as our passport not contain an address),
color test, reaction test , stop test , 1 hour video , 255 baht and good for 6 years (2568), so better wait expiration of license to win a year extra as mentioned here before...
if you not go early ,the class will be full , many people now make an appointment online ...
my wife arrived first but her follow number was 18....as info... ;)
Last edited by kopkei on October 8, 2019, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 8, 2019, 7:12 pm

When I renewed 5yr to 5yr in Jan, I wasn't required to take a color, reaction, or stop test. I did have to view the video. AEK

86Tiger
udonmap.com

Post by 86Tiger » October 9, 2019, 1:59 pm

To share my experience just this am:

Arrived Udon DLT 08:15. Stopped at the copy lady at bottom of stair. 3 waiting, she was not ready so took her few minutes to get sorted and start helping the first in line. Received my copies and up stairs to 1st desk. My bride was with me for translation so she spoke to the young lady when our time came (1 in front). Bride sends me down for couple more copies. This satisfies young lady at first desk. She signs, stamps 2 stack of papers (cover sheet lady provided, old license, medical certificate, copy passport, copy visa with entry stamp and yellow book) and sends to next queue.

Next queue maybe 5 or 6 in front of us waiting for the physical tests. Standard color test, brake reaction time and line up the sticks. Upon completion of these 'tests' the attendant fills in cover sheet and signs, sends us to desk number 2.

Desk number 2 makes us sit for couple minutes. Don't know why cause there is no one else there. But we sit couple minutes just the same. She calls us up, exchanges some small talk with my bride and asks for 760 baht (as I recall, need to look back at receipt to be certain at this point). I lay 1000 note counter, bride retrieves change and we are off to the photo desk.

Qwik photo and we wait few minutes for the new cards to drop out of the machine. Retrieve cards and back out to car, 08:58 when I fire up the engine.

So, about 45 minutes all in, 760 baht and I'm on my way with 2 fresh 5 1/2 year operator licenses.

Couple clarifiers:

Original license was 2 year expired 6 Oct.

New licenses expire birthday 2025.

Visa is fresh 'O' obtained in Ankara Turkey.

Entry stamp 6 Oct for 90 day stay.

Medical certificate obtained yesterday at clinic near UD Town. I waited in car with babies while bride goes in to explain what I need then she was going to wait with babies and I go in for what ever is needed of me. She comes out with certificate, all I need do is sign and we are off. I think she paid 200 baht.

Easy, painless and done for 5 1/2 years.

vidmaster
udonmap.com

Post by vidmaster » October 10, 2019, 9:23 am

Hi Tiger
2 year expired 6/10/19 so when did you go to DLT please
Is DLT the one on road to Khonkaern about 30kms from UD?
My 2 year motorcycle only expires 8/11/19 so what’s earliest time I can get my 5 year ?
Are these only documents I need:
Passport with Retirement stamp etc
Current 2 Year Driving Licence
Medical certificate
Baht
Thanks

86Tiger
udonmap.com

Post by 86Tiger » October 10, 2019, 9:41 am

I was DLT yesterday 9 Oct.

Yes, DLT on road to KK.

Honestly, don’t know how long before expiration can renew. The advantage is wait until expire to receive expiration 5 years from next birthday.

You will need proof of address. Yellow book worked for me. Others will have to comment as to letter from immigration or letter from embassy is required for Udon. Seems it varies some from province to province.

As always YMMV

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » October 10, 2019, 9:56 am

Was the Non O Visa you got in Turkey a 1 year multiple entry or a single entry.

86Tiger
udonmap.com

Post by 86Tiger » October 10, 2019, 10:16 am

Visa is single entry, 90 day

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 11, 2019, 12:01 pm

vidmaster wrote:
October 10, 2019, 9:23 am
Hi Tiger
2 year expired 6/10/19 so when did you go to DLT please
Is DLT the one on road to Khonkaern about 30kms from UD?
My 2 year motorcycle only expires 8/11/19 so what’s earliest time I can get my 5 year ?
Are these only documents I need:
Passport with Retirement stamp etc
Current 2 Year Driving Licence
Medical certificate
Baht
Thanks
Renewal is 3 months before and up to 1 year after with no extra test needed.

To get a 5 year licence you must eithe have a Non-O (or other 3 month/1 year) visa or an extension of stay ( the Elite visa does not qualify and only gets a 2 year licence.

You have missed the certificate of residence in your documents, a yellow book with, or without, pink card may be acceptable. A work permit if it shows your address is also OK.

If you go to AEK they have stated that you only need 1 original of the documents with copies if you are doing both license's at the same time. I don't know if the main DLT office has the same policy.
IMG_8430.JPG
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

vidmaster
udonmap.com

Post by vidmaster » November 1, 2019, 9:00 am

Where is the AEK please?

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » November 1, 2019, 9:24 am

vidmaster wrote:
November 1, 2019, 9:00 am
Where is the AEK please?
https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... q=aek+udon
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

vidmaster
udonmap.com

Post by vidmaster » November 1, 2019, 6:50 pm

Thanks joepal it’s only 2 mins on my bike- cashbackajackanory

mr passout
udonmap.com

Post by mr passout » November 2, 2019, 10:44 am

A friend of mine last xmas renewed his 5 year licence to another 5 years only on a visa exempt 30day on arrival
just went to immigration to get letter copy passport and old licence no questions asked this was at the AEK also

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 14, 2019, 9:50 pm

Picked up my new rego plates for the truck at the DLT office in Nong Sung yesterday afternoon while Mrs tam popped upstairs to renew her 5 year DL. She was told that they stop testing at 2 P.M. (it was 2.30) and she should come in the morning. She was then told about booking an appointment on their app (big placards, all in Thai) so she downloaded it (their Wi-Fi is glacial), fired it up and it seems there's another, brand new license renewal place on the 2nd floor of Central. She snagged the last open slot for 11 A.M. this morning but got all her ID/paperwork copied at the Nong Sung office before we left.

I dropped her off at quarter-to this morning, I went off to Tops and got some onions and went home to make my world-famous Scottish Hogmanay Steak Pie. I was just about to saute the onions when she called saying she was done... at 1 P.M. New DL with 6 year validity (the previous 5-year one one had expired about 2 weeks ago) and only one little old lady doing her renewal at the same time. The old dear apparently took several attempts to pass the reaction test but eventually passed so everyone managed to have a comfy nap during the video.

If I hit Central manana, I will take a look for this DLT office. Mrs tam says it's on the 2nd floor 'at the back'.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » May 6, 2020, 10:40 am

Driving in Thailand: No need to renew expired licenses until further notice.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » May 6, 2020, 11:18 am

If she snagged the last slot for 11.00 am and only her and an old lady present , can we assume that they are only taking two applicants per session ?

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 6, 2020, 12:03 pm

saint wrote:
May 6, 2020, 11:18 am
If she snagged the last slot for 11.00 am and only her and an old lady present , can we assume that they are only taking two applicants per session ?
Reply to a 5 month old post!
F6B6E9AB-971F-4AC3-8407-B29B594285AE.jpeg
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » May 6, 2020, 1:27 pm

Yes Sorry , i though tamadas post was current . I guess i should of checked the date and time . Now i see why he does it with such vigor .

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » June 29, 2020, 8:28 am

have they already started renew driver licenses , aek,central,main office? any update on this one, thanks... ;)

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » June 29, 2020, 8:48 am

Just checked mine
Expired 2 weeks ago.
Better go check it out

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » June 29, 2020, 8:56 am

the Mrs did her on line question bit at the weekend " no probs easy to do " and is on her way to Central plaza at 11am to do the reaction test and get her licence , i,ll post latter if anything has changed or problems .

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”