Union Pay Debit Card

General Udon Thani topics only!
valiant
udonmap.com

Union Pay Debit Card

Post by valiant » February 9, 2018, 1:53 pm

Having recently changed Branch of Bangkok Bank I was issued a new ATM Card. I was told that a Bangkok Bank Visa Card is no longer available and that they now are affiliated with Union Pay.
My question is can these cards be used at Tesco Lotus, Home Pro, Garages etc as the Bank Clerk was unsure.

86Tiger
udonmap.com

Re: Union Pay Debit Card

Post by 86Tiger » February 9, 2018, 2:41 pm

It is hit and miss. Tesco no, villa Market yes.

YMMV

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » February 9, 2018, 4:33 pm

If you insist on a Visa card they can supply you with one but they resist it and will charge you for doing it.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

valiant
udonmap.com

Post by valiant » February 9, 2018, 5:05 pm

vincemunday wrote:
February 9, 2018, 4:33 pm
If you insist on a Visa card they can supply you with one but they resist it and will charge you for doing it.
Do the Gallery Guest house and restaurant accept this Card,I find it rather frustrating and embarrasing :oops: that they push this card at you and it is not accepted

loy
udonmap.com

Post by loy » February 9, 2018, 7:26 pm

Bangkok bank have 2 visas Union Pay first offer but second have Visa visa

tutone
udonmap.com

Post by tutone » February 9, 2018, 9:24 pm

vincemunday wrote:
February 9, 2018, 4:33 pm
Do you know what the fee/charge is to get a visa debit card from Bangkok Bank?

JMT42
udonmap.com

Post by JMT42 » February 10, 2018, 10:54 am

Visa dings the bank a one or two percent, Union Pay dings them less . That is why they are switching.

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » February 10, 2018, 12:30 pm

JMT42 wrote:
February 10, 2018, 10:54 am
Visa dings the bank a one or two percent, Union Pay dings them less . That is why they are switching.
One reason is/was that Union Pay and Bangkok Bang owned together 50%/50% of Thai Payment Network (TPN). Now they have other banks joined and share is: Union Pay and Bangkok Bank 20% each, Kasikorn 15%, Krungthai 15% and SCB 15%. Rest 15% is divided to other banks.

Merchant fee has been 1.8%, but during card expansion it is lowered to 1%. After they have enough cards in use, fee will go back to 1.5 - 1.8%. Of course, that fee goes to TPN and banks get some of it back, because they are shareholders.

For me it is easy to get money out from ATM machine and go to any shop. Do they accept card, which card or only cash money does not matter. But doing some payments through Internet it is a must to have a card that is accepted.

Like I can not use Union Pay to pay my phone bills etc.
Direct debit via credit card without service fee
- VISA
- MASTERCARD
- Diners Club
- American Express

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 10, 2018, 2:16 pm

loy wrote:
February 9, 2018, 7:26 pm
Bangkok bank have 2 visas Union Pay first offer but second have Visa visa
Having just spoken to a very helpful lady at Bangkok bank she denied them having a visa debit card available now, yes in the past but not any more, Union Pay only.

FWIW My own ATM card predates both, never expires, links to more than 1 account, and isn't a debt card. It is almost older then the staff member I talked to, she had never seen one and thought it might not work (it does). :D
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » February 10, 2018, 3:45 pm

I “lost” my Bangkok Bank Visa card (actually forgot it & left in the UK). Went to I don’t know how many branches to get replacement & they all declined. After trying the threat of closing the account as I must have Visa they just said okay, no ifs or buts, just closed the account ;)
I think it highly unlikely any branch will issue a Visa card if they’re happy for you to take business elsewhere if they don’t

There’s another whole thread on this card somewhere on here but I can’t find it at the mo
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

valiant
udonmap.com

Post by valiant » February 10, 2018, 4:11 pm

Nigglyb wrote:
February 10, 2018, 3:45 pm
I “lost” my Bangkok Bank Visa card (actually forgot it & left in the UK). Went to I don’t know how many branches to get replacement & they all declined. After trying the threat of closing the account as I must have Visa they just said okay, no ifs or buts, just closed the account ;)
I think it highly unlikely any branch will issue a Visa card if they’re happy for you to take business elsewhere if they don’t

There’s another whole thread on this card somewhere on here but I can’t find it at the mo
You would think that they would set it up with Retailers before they withdrew it, as we move to a Cashless Society

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”