Suggestion to improve discussions

General Udon Thani topics only!
ytrewq
udonmap.com

Suggestion to improve discussions

Post by ytrewq » February 3, 2018, 5:58 am

As many are aware, "fake news" and links to same are a major problem these days. There is a lot of it on this site.

I propose a possible "fix" might be to voluntarily limit links to credible and reputable newspapers within discussion threads about things like politics.

Those news papers having won a Pulitzer Prize or Edward R. Murrow Award within the past 3 years, for example.

I suspect those posters who depend most on fake news websites would be most against such a proposal as it would force their arguments to have a basis in real news and real context.

Perhaps moderators could provide an emoji or other indicator to make such sourced posts stand out?

What say ye all? Anyone interested?

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Re: Suggestion to improve discussions

Post by Stantheman » February 3, 2018, 6:07 am

Nice idea, but I truely think it will not stop some from finding something and posting it, be it onesided news or on youtube etc, that supposedly supports their view, no matter how truthfully it is

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » February 3, 2018, 6:54 am

ytrewq wrote:
February 3, 2018, 5:58 am
As many are aware, "fake news" and links to same are a major problem these days. There is a lot of it on this site.
Strange request from a guy whose last political source was an opinion piece from Gizmodo.

A better idea would be to just refute the claims in articles as false with facts.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » February 3, 2018, 7:05 am

The last thing this forum needs is more restrictive censorship. I thought members were for the most part, mature intelligent people able to judge for themselves the reliabilty of quoted links and respond appropiately in their replies.
Maybe I am wrong again . :-"
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

JMT42
udonmap.com

Post by JMT42 » February 3, 2018, 8:08 am

Maybe you could help Prayut set up his "Ministry of Truth".

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » February 3, 2018, 8:50 am

JMT42 wrote:
February 3, 2018, 8:08 am
Maybe you could help Prayut set up his "Ministry of Truth".
:D

jimjay
udonmap.com

Post by jimjay » February 3, 2018, 9:59 am

ytrewq wrote:
February 3, 2018, 5:58 am
I propose a possible "fix" might be to voluntarily limit links to credible and reputable newspapers within discussion threads about things like politics.

Perhaps moderators could provide an emoji or other indicator to make such sourced posts stand out?
It's a free of charge system, so moderators more likely enjoying their spare time and letting us work it all out as to where discussion goes.

Sure a few fibbers in the discourse but in the end they do lots of data entry which helps the site's traffic I imagine.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » February 3, 2018, 11:09 am

Address the message, not the medium.
A factual story is no less factual if it appears in a media outlet some are eager to dismiss. Often, the same story appears in several media outlets. Its either factual or its not -- the medium makes no difference.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » February 3, 2018, 12:25 pm

Perhaps some people take a public forum too seriously. Most of us know that the Internet is full of erroneous information. As for myself, I prefer to sort out the pure BS myself, maybe even counter it. I'm not a proponent of censorship.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 3, 2018, 12:53 pm

Can the OP please provide a comprehensive list of which sources have won pulitzer prizes, as personally I give their winners about as much credence as a Nobel peace prize winners (whoever has the most political clout at the time gets the award).
Who has won a pulitzer fake news (sorry that should be pulitzer fiction) prize?

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » February 3, 2018, 1:14 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
February 3, 2018, 12:53 pm
Can the OP please provide a comprehensive list of which sources have won pulitzer prizes, as personally I give their winners about as much credence as a Nobel peace prize winners (whoever has the most political clout at the time gets the award).
Who has won a pulitzer fake news (sorry that should be pulitzer fiction) prize?
And to think that at one time a number of years ago that I thought the Nobel Peace Prize was based on accomplishments and facts. Now I know better. I never thought a Pulitzer amounted to anything except a popularity contest.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 3, 2018, 1:24 pm

Page three in the Sun would have won my Pullitforher contest back in the day :oops:

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » February 3, 2018, 1:28 pm

Pulitzer judges do not measure the degree of talent in the journalistic means, but only the political ends they accomplish. It is a competition for liberal political advocacy.

Unfortunately, Americans aren't as dumb as the media wish they were. The faith Americans have in the media is dropping faster than a fat kid on a seesaw.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » February 3, 2018, 2:28 pm

Lone Star wrote:
February 3, 2018, 6:54 am
A better idea would be to just refute the claims in articles as false with facts.
I think that Lone Star may be on to something!

Restricting information to only that which is sourced from "credible and reputable" sources is a great idea!! As soon as you all agree on which sources meet that test, please let me know.
:roll:

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » February 3, 2018, 2:46 pm

“The problem with articles on the internet is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » February 3, 2018, 4:22 pm

Published journals with peer review works over You Tube, I have found

So yes Lonestar is on the money here

felixcat
udonmap.com

Post by felixcat » February 3, 2018, 4:42 pm

I'm with Lone Star on this one. ytrewq sounds like a real hot head who shouts to be heard instead of "jousting" the way through a discussion. This is what the lefties do to get their way. ytrewq seems to be following/pushing the same "reforms" being discussed (slowly pushed into) letting liberal "social medias" filter out anything they deem "offensive or against their way of thinking. I have never attacked anyone who didn't attack me first, and I don't always get the opportunity to post my opinion. Give this unlimited power to these people and you will end up with your 1984 Orwell.
And this is where its all headed anyways. Eliminate the opposite "jousting" and its all over. "ALL we know is what we are told", Happy, Happy, Happy, (stupid little dumb-downed slaves). Stand in line, follow the rules, don't rock the boat or you will get banned or one of these Notes on your post:
"Certain features have been disabled for this video
In response to user reports, we have disabled some features, such as comments, sharing, and suggested videos, because this video contains content that may be inappropriate or offensive to some audiences."
Personally, I like posting a video alot of times, just because you get the jist in a few minutes, and I don't forget to mention something. And because now "it's said" most peoples attention spans are now lower than a goldfish. All I post, I stand behind. Don't attack, learn to "joust" if you have a difference of opinion, or learn to say nothing if you have nothing to add".
I don't need to find a turnip, lightbalb, some screws or ect,...instead, I try to add some "flavor" to keep some of you awake. In closing:....
https://www.sheeple.news/2017-11-19-the ... count.html

Faraday
udonmap.com

Post by Faraday » February 3, 2018, 5:34 pm

Or better still, not believe everything, & use critical thinking.

However, apart from a couple of tall story tellers, UM is fine for me.

The modding on TV is mostly nonsense, unlike here..
\:D/

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » February 3, 2018, 7:26 pm

jimjay
udonmap.com

Post by jimjay » February 3, 2018, 7:27 pm

Udon Map wrote:
February 3, 2018, 2:28 pm
Lone Star wrote:
February 3, 2018, 6:54 am
I think that Lone Star may be on to something!

Restricting information to only that which is sourced from "credible and reputable" sources is a great idea!! As soon as you all agree on which sources meet that test, please let me know.
:roll:
I hereby vote the Lone Star Times be added to the list. :D :D :D :D

Original below suitable for framing.

p.s. I am the winner of today's events.
Attachments
Selection_164.png

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”