Road Carnage

General Udon Thani topics only!
fdimike
udonmap.com

Road Carnage

Post by fdimike » January 3, 2018, 6:02 am

According to this morning's Bangkok Post Udon Thani has achieved #1 status for the most accumulated road fatalities (114) and the most road related injuries (118) for the country. I wonder if it has anything at all to do with the near total lack of law enforcement?

An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Re: Road Carnage

Post by Doodoo » January 3, 2018, 7:09 am

Fdmike
I know that additional check points were set up and still are for this time of year .Therefore lack of enforcement might not be the case.

Does anyone have an statistics for another 7 day period in the year or is this the only one (maybe Songkran)

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » January 3, 2018, 7:17 am

if you want " law enforcement " be in a BAR at 14. 01 pm and listen when they tell you NO more beer untill 17.00 pm .
Last edited by timmy on January 3, 2018, 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » January 3, 2018, 8:52 am

i think it more has to do with udon being so popular and visited from all over thailand , did you not notice the many number plates of different origin on cars , even from the south ....
more traffic,more cars,more mbs ,more falang,more drunks more chances of accidents , nothing more nothing less.... ;)

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » January 3, 2018, 9:56 am

The check points have no bearing what so ever, the people at the checkpoints are either sleeping or chatting away. Cant say I have ever seen a highway patrol car pull a car over, until the police and government get serious and start following methods from other country's nothing will change, and if they started tomorrow it would take a generation to show any change.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 3, 2018, 10:06 am

fatbob wrote:
January 3, 2018, 9:56 am
The check points have no bearing what so ever, the people at the checkpoints are either sleeping or chatting away. Cant say I have ever seen a highway patrol car pull a car over, until the police and government get serious and start following methods from other country's nothing will change, and if they started tomorrow it would take a generation to show any change.
The normally sleepy checkpoint on the west-end of the Nong Sai road was VERY active before 5 PM yesterday.

Being a member of a couple of smartphone app-enabled 'check point tracking' groups, they are very active in at least 2 other towns in Thailand.

With the increased rates of people being busted during this holiday period being reported in national press, I would reckon that there's definitely much more attention being paid at these check points, more people are being stopped and more intervention aka accident prevention has taken place.

The death and injury figures are also 'up' which is probably due to a greater attention to detail since it became broadly known that previous death counts only included 'at the scene' deaths.

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » January 3, 2018, 11:15 am

What is required is a better training and driver testing system, driver education and a higher standard of the MOT/vehicle maintenance system. Will never happen so we have to live with it. Hope this video opens.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/10 ... paign=news

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » January 3, 2018, 12:03 pm

I totally agree with you Fat. The solution is to have the police do their job 24/7, something I doubt will ever happen. They also need to change the operating rules/attitudes of the police. Right now I believe theonly police who will do anything about traffic are the traffic police and they only do that at established checkpoints.
There's a safety tent at the entrance to Nong Samrong with probably 20 uniformed people sitting there all playing with their smart phones while numerous motorcyclists pass by without a helmet 4 & 5 on the bike, no license plate etc etc. Not one person would ever get up off their lazy ass and stop these people and warn them for their own good about why they should be wearing a safety helmet, too many people on a motorcycle etc. It's all a pretty sad state of affairs and continues to point out that the government could not not care less about road safety..

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 3, 2018, 1:52 pm

Back in the early days of me learning to read Thai....torture, but I'd practice my alphabet reading the two letters on license plates. Then I graduated to reading the province on the plates. Back then (circa 2006), it was rare to see anything other than Bangkok, Udon, Nongbualamphu, Khonkaen, and Nongkai. Now, especially during holiday season, I'd guess I could find most all the 77 provinces in one day passing the Udon-Nongbualamphu highway.

Today, while going to and coming from town from kilo 18, traffic and crazy drivers were back to normal.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 3, 2018, 4:49 pm

Just got back from the funeral of step father in law who died New Years Eve out in the stix. As far as I can make out the police think that someone hit him from behind (position of body to motorcycle etc) and he died of head injuries and broken neck. Suspect that the other driver was probably drinking and had driven off well before the emergency services arrived :evil:
As I said just come back from the funeral where there were probably 20 - 30 motorcycles turn up and the only headgear ANY of them had on was a baseball cap. It's not that they had a lot of time to forget, the guy was laying in the box in front of them with head injuries caused by a motorbike accident #-o
And of course they were sitting there drinking a tidy few beers/Lao Khaos before they will all drive home.
Whoever it was that suggested that the human race would eventually improve due to the "less intelligent" being culled has obviously never spent time in a Thai village [-X

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » January 3, 2018, 5:54 pm

Darwin Nominees survive and thrive in Thailand

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » January 3, 2018, 9:56 pm

Anything to compare against to support this statement?
Bangkok Post 3 Jan 2018 at 04:00
Government spokesman Lt Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd said the lower number of road deaths during the New Year period this year reflects the effectiveness of the government's measures
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » January 4, 2018, 3:50 am

There was a big operation on the Nong Khai to Udon highway yesterday, which I caught about lunchtime. Strange they hadn't knocked off for their food/drink at that hour, which would be the norm. Perhaps 25 cars had been pulled over, most I've seen for some time. A bit odd it was yesterday, when I thought the holiday was essentially over.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » January 4, 2018, 7:51 am

Brian Davis wrote:
January 4, 2018, 3:50 am
There was a big operation on the Nong Khai to Udon highway yesterday, which I caught about lunchtime. Strange they hadn't knocked off for their food/drink at that hour, which would be the norm. Perhaps 25 cars had been pulled over, most I've seen for some time. A bit odd it was yesterday, when I thought the holiday was essentially over.
That is a regular stop, near the PT fuel station a policeman sits behind a tree with a radar, everyone speeding gets stopped.

harry68
udonmap.com

Post by harry68 » January 4, 2018, 8:20 am

they are out and about for sure
a mate got done at 8pm last nite on kutchap rd just past big wing honda at 8pm blew .057
locked up for the nite awaiting court now
times are a changing

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 4, 2018, 9:50 am

Brian Davis wrote:
January 4, 2018, 3:50 am
I reckon the holiday is over when most people are back where they came from. Things started picking up on the east ring-road on 2nd as the early risers headed back south. Bit of a lull right now but I reckon those that were able to afford the week off work will be hitting the roads again this weekend.

bigsnake
udonmap.com

Post by bigsnake » January 4, 2018, 2:52 pm

SAD!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 4, 2018, 5:29 pm

" Bit of a lull right now but I reckon those that were able to afford the week off work will be hitting the roads again this weekend." mmmmmmmmm at best, an UNFORTUNATE choice of words tam :-$

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » January 4, 2018, 5:37 pm

Back to normal around Nong Samrong. Sitting around drinking beer and lao kow and then off on the motorbike without a helmet of course. The number of people killed/injured here in Udon Thani (124 dead no 1 in the country for the 7 day holiday) means absolutely nothing to these people. They learn nothing because they read nothing (assuming they can read at all).

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 4, 2018, 6:43 pm

Just to keep things in perspective.......Of the many figures published in the Thai press, the highest for Udon were 145ish people 'injured' in 139 accidents and 13 deaths in Udon over the holiday period........or 97 accidents for 94 injuries and 14 deaths......again, depending on the source.
http://www.tnews.co.th/index.php/contents/397570
https://www.facebook.com/udontoday.news ... =1&theater
A word of caution......google translate isn't necessarily a good way to translate the numbers presented. One translated article said 113 deaths.....when, in fact, it was 113 injuries. Big difference!

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”