Prawn (Gung) Farm

General Udon Thani topics only!
arjay
udonmap.com

Prawn (Gung) Farm

Post by arjay » October 30, 2017, 8:16 pm

Does anyone have any experience of running a (freshwater) prawn farm? We were wondering if it might be a suitable use for a small lake.
I am seeking information such as:

Would a prawn farm need running/moving water flow, or static water?

Would it be best suited to somewhere where there would not be "run-off" from adjoining agricultural land?

And anything else relevant.

747man
udonmap.com

Re: Prawn (Gung) Farm

Post by 747man » October 30, 2017, 9:05 pm

All the Prawn Farms I've seen ( Mostly in the South of Thailand ) Have ALWAYS Had Running / Moving Water....

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 30, 2017, 9:16 pm

neeemu
udonmap.com

Post by neeemu » October 30, 2017, 11:35 pm

On a slightly related note, I once visited a restaurant in Bangkok set around a little pond where you had to fish your own prawns out with fishing rods.

Wasn't exactly hard to get a bite as you ate and paid for what you caught by weight. I'm convinced such a novelty would be popular in Udon.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » October 30, 2017, 11:48 pm

Thanks for the information.

The Thai Visa link was particularly useful as it provided another link to a 215 page document.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » October 31, 2017, 4:45 am

neeemu wrote:
October 30, 2017, 11:35 pm
....... I'm convinced such a novelty would be popular in Udon.
I did know of one quite big place in Udon, near the Siri Grand Hotel, but it must be years since it closed. Yes, it was fun for my then family to 'fish' there.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » October 31, 2017, 7:13 am

Brian Davis wrote:
October 31, 2017, 4:45 am
neeemu wrote:
October 30, 2017, 11:35 pm
....... I'm convinced such a novelty would be popular in Udon.
I did know of one quite big place in Udon, near the Siri Grand Hotel, but it must be years since it closed. Yes, it was fun for my then family to 'fish' there.
Yes, it was across the street from the Siri Grand Hotel on Udon Dutsadee Road. Sanook for the kids.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 31, 2017, 9:45 am

Bumper had one up & running a while back..
ffff-fish-pond-construction-t23852.html

I am sure he could help with specific questions that his posts didn't address..

domfromoz
udonmap.com

Post by domfromoz » October 31, 2017, 11:25 am

The Dept of Fisheries in Udon Will help you with your enquiry as they also breed and supply baby prawns at their Kut Chap facility.
Bare in mind that your lake probably has a population of snakehead catfish that will devour your prawns as quickly as you introduce them.

Macrobrachium Rosenbergii are hard to trap and are usually harvested by draining the pond,which would be pretty hard in
a large body of water.
We sometimes raise a few after we renovate our ponds and we know there are no predators ,but unless we can stock the prawns 12 weeks before our main crop which is Pla Nin the results are poor(about 10kg per rai from 10,000 babies)which is just enough for me to have a periodical prawn pig out.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » October 31, 2017, 11:47 am

arjay wrote:
October 30, 2017, 8:16 pm
Does anyone have any experience of running a (freshwater) prawn farm? We were wondering if it might be a suitable use for a small lake.
I am seeking information such as:

Would a prawn farm need running/moving water flow, or static water?

Would it be best suited to somewhere where there would not be "run-off" from adjoining agricultural land?

And anything else relevant.

Hi arjay

There is a place that sells prawns on the main road heading up to Nong Khai. I would say it is between 15 - 20 km from the Udon Thani Ring Road connection and it is on the left side when heading towards Nong Khai.

It has a red lobster sign out the front (which you can easily miss at my driving speed \:D/ [-X ) and the prawn selling area is located about 80 m back in from the road, so it is hard to pick up from the main road.

I can only presume they get their prawns locally (maybe from a lake they may have out the back). I doubt they truck them in from a long way, as it appears to only be a family run small business. You may want to speak with them and get some local knowledge, on how they do it.

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » October 31, 2017, 11:57 am

I think there are several places around with tanks filled with different-sized goong. Whether these are for short-term 'holding' or actually growing, I'm not sure.
The popular Goong Kalasin Restaurant on the left of the Nong Khai highway,corner of the road to Ban Phu, certainly has tanks at the back of the kitchen building.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » November 1, 2017, 10:08 am

There are giant prawn farms locally, bare in mind that BREEDING these prawns is not so straight forward as they require brackish water, and the hatchlings require special diets. Hence why mainly in Isaan it is a growing out job. So depends on what price you pay for young prawns and how many survive.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » November 1, 2017, 10:11 am

Oh, there are also smaller freshwater shrimps/prawns, like what you get in pad thai. These will grow in ponds locally but usually by-catch, do not know of anyone growing them specifically.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » November 3, 2017, 12:02 am

Thanks everyone for your comments, advice, suggestions and links. Very useful. I have passed them all on to my other half for "pondering"!

The family has an existing lake, but I note there is work involved and existing fish may be partial to young gung.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”