residential CCTV security system

General Udon Thani topics only!
trekkertony
udonmap.com

residential CCTV security system

Post by trekkertony » October 17, 2017, 3:10 pm

Hi all,

Has any forumite purchased and installed a home CCTV security system and if so can you advise the outlet where purchased in Udon, the cost of the system and the cost of installation?

Thanks in anticipation

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Re: residential CCTV security system

Post by vincemunday » October 17, 2017, 6:39 pm

Yes I have and the best place I found was Landmark, you can get a decent enough system quite cheaply, I think mine was less that 10,000 and it’s very clear, has a 1TB hard drive, backs up to the cloud and I can watch it wherever I am on my phone. They’re pretty much plug and play but if you’re not confident enough to give it a go I had a guy install one in my apartments, he was very good and very cheap but the cost of the installion will depend on the installation site.

A little advice, buy a DVR than can support 8 cameras, you might find 4 aren’t enough and they don’t actually cost a lot more, make sure your system has a Hard Drive in the box.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » October 17, 2017, 7:03 pm

Bought a CCTV security system maybe 6 or 7 years ago from a company that is no longer in business here, think went back to South Africa. Spent around 20k baht back then for the DVR and 6 cameras.

About a couple years ago having problems found the people on the 3rd floor of LandMark to be helpful “KPTech” CCTV & Security Systems. They sell Ajhua product and I liked its system software, so maybe about a year ago replaced my DVR with their Ajhua DVR and like it.

web site for them is https://www.kptechcctv.com

Did have one problem and they charged 500 baht to have someone just look on site. Guess he thought I was to pushee and now doesn’t want to come to my house. :-) :lol: For when I went looking for 2 more cameras, thats what the guy at the shop told me. He therefore lost the sale.

Found someone else and think I got better cameras (2) and I liked his work doesn’t speak any english but was still able to understand what I wanted. (Came for the install when wife not home). When he came for the estimate had camera with price of about 2,400 printed on the flyer, charged me 1,700 each, think the install ran about 800 to install 2 camera’s and wire, 2 power adapters for other camera’s, and fix a power adapter for another camera.

Don’t know what brand of DVR he has, camera’s are AHD
His telephone # is 081-555-7342 and will give a FREE estimate, not sure about KPTech just might charge 500 to come look see.

Best idea is to talk to both and get price.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » October 17, 2017, 7:11 pm

vincemunday wrote:
October 17, 2017, 6:39 pm
They’re pretty much plug and play but ....
Must disagree with the plug & play. Will guess it depends on what it means. I pulled a lot of hair out getting mine set up. And I worked in the computer business for 30+ years.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » October 17, 2017, 7:52 pm

I’ve fitted five systems so far, simple bayonet fittings and 12v power supplies, what did you find difficult? If you buy a pro system it’s a bit trickier but not tough and it’s a little bit more expensive, the plug and play systems they sell in Landmark are pretty good, I could do a simple install in under an hour.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » October 17, 2017, 8:19 pm

vincemunday wrote:
October 17, 2017, 7:52 pm
I’ve fitted five systems so far, simple bayonet fittings and 12v power supplies, what did you find difficult? If you buy a pro system it’s a bit trickier but not tough and it’s a little bit more expensive, the plug and play systems they sell in Landmark are pretty good, I could do a simple install in under an hour.
Talking about setting up router

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » October 18, 2017, 3:57 am

Thanks Vince and RL Trader

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » October 18, 2017, 5:04 am

My wife and I replaced a Kenpro 4 camera system with a Watashi 8 camera system that we purchased at Home Pro. We had a Home Pro contractor do the installation. The installer suggested the we use a wall mounted central switching power supply that would power all of the cameras via a Siamese cable which is a cable with an RG6 Conductor and two power conductors instead of having a separate power adapter at each camera. We also attached the central camera power supply and Watashi DVR to a UPS. One of the channels stop recording on the DVR about one year after we had it installed. We took the DVR to the Dtech store that is an authorized dealer for Watashi on the 3rd floor in Landmark Plaza to have it repaired. They had it repaired and it did not cost us anything for the repair because they said that it was still under warranty. One of our High resolution cameras stopped working about one year and several months after we purchased it. We took it to the Dtech store at Landmark and they had it repaired and they told us that it was still under warranty therefore there was no charge. I attached the Watashi DVR to our home Private network that has access to the internet. My wife and I can remotely access the Watashi DVR from my Smart Phone with an android application from the Playstore. The android application uses P2P protocol with passes seamlessly through the router to our Smartphones. You do not need to touch the router to set it up. Just follow the instructions in the setup menu on the Watashi DVR. It is easy to use.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » October 18, 2017, 8:58 am

“KPTech” CCTV & Security Systems also has applications which install on phones, iPads, etc and also use P2P. Also has app for a Mac so it works with Safari.

Problem: with my phone, (what they tell me), it has to use the app for a Pad and the view is what I call squished, while on my wife's phone it uses a phone app and works fine. So they tell me I need a new phone. ya, right.

Know nothing about P2P, but when an update(s) to my phone blew out all my preferences, also blew out the preferences for the KPTech app and have not bothered to fix them yet, for never use the app, plus can't remember how the fuɔk I set it up in the first place. :lol: Can remember the last time updates blew out preference, Think I found it still needed an IP address to work, (and what do you do when it changes?), but could be wrong. Its also on the list of things to do.

I have a Free app called IP Camera which works fine. (It too had its preferences blown out along with any other app's I had) but I have all the info for it on my computer.
So was easy to fix. I presently keep the WIFI on phone off so that it does not update any more. If not broke, why fix it?
The installer suggested the we use a wall mounted central switching power supply that would power all of the cameras via a Siamese cable which is a cable with an RG6 Conductor and two power conductors instead of having a separate power adapter at each camera.
Now thats a great idea, for had a few power adapters go bad. What I did was string power wire along with the video wire and then plug them into an UPS. Too late now, I would guess.

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » October 18, 2017, 10:04 am

You can use Cat5/6 for all these analog cameras. POE using two pairs of the UTP wires inside the Cat5/6. One benefit being you can change to an IP camera in the future. Prices are dropping dramatically for IP cameras. An example.... $14 (720P)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BESDER- ... 3815799ae8

Note: read full description

Then you just need to pick an app that can amalgamate the IP cameras.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » October 20, 2017, 9:48 am

i also went shopping for a cctv system at landmark , all the shops are next to each other (4 shops,2 same owner) ,at the first the lady didn't seem to have much interest explaining ...as the guy in the second shop (same owner) did better , they will come have a look today for complete price ?..., best explication i got from the lady at the kptech shop ...
we have in our present home a kenpro 1MP digital ip system that is working perfect for 5 years now , bought next to global at the fujiko shop that is gone now...kenpro udon ???
so i am also not an expert in this but i try to learn every time i need something i am not familiar with...
all tvl,ahd,hd-cvi, hd-sdi, tvi are analog and although they say ahd is giving same performance as digital ip camera it is not , ip cameras are connected with lan cable (internet cable) , and analog are connected with coax cable ,
stay away from cvi and surely sdi , (you can look it up on internet)
digital ip cameras are not so expensive anymore so i will go again for that type..probably due to lower prices a 2MP system....will update this later...as info.. ;)

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » October 20, 2017, 1:54 pm

Analog cameras can just as well be connected via UTP (Cat 5/6) cable. I have more than a dozen that were done that way and it works perfectly well. You just need to buy a BNC to terminal or BNC to RJ45 converter/balun... very cheap. Remember, if you use Coax you will need to have another separate 12V supply line to the cameras. With Cat5/6 POE you can use one cable for power and signal/data, and use one central 12V supply for many cameras. Balun example...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10Pcs-5 ... e4fb9e06cd

Millions of people are doing this. Now that IP camera prices have dropped so much, I'm looking at just swapping all my cameras from analog to digital, since I used Cat 5/6 throughout my house (also in perimeter wall, garage, etc.) it should be easy.

Cat 5/6 can be used for many purposes, even power transfer (up to 57V if I recall correctly.. around 24W). I can hang two analog cameras off one cable. At night the cameras turn on their IR LEDs which suck a lot more power.

I also use Cat5/6 for reed switches on doors and windows, vibration sensors on windows (for breaking glass), intercom(upstairs/downstairs), etc. Cat6 will provide up to 5Gb/s and even Cat5e with the new standard can get up to 2.5Gb/s so it is good to go for a few more years.

lassebasse
udonmap.com

Post by lassebasse » October 21, 2017, 9:23 am

Everyone seems fixated with cameras to protect their property. What about motion detectors in the house combined with a siren to scare away intruders?

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » October 21, 2017, 9:50 am

lassebasse wrote:
October 21, 2017, 9:23 am
Everyone seems fixated with cameras to protect their property. What about motion detectors in the house combined with a siren to scare away intruders?

Could you give us some details about your motion detection system. Costs, ease of set up, where you got the items.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 21, 2017, 11:58 am

I bought a DIY install Yale wireless security system from the UK many moons ago. Consists of 4 PIR (room motion detectors), maybe 8 switches (for detecting opened doors and/or windows), a couple of very loud alarms with strobes and the keypad/controller. The latter was designed to interface with a land-line only but I bought some bits and bobs on eBay so now it has a SIM module and mobile phone dial-up ability to send sms and/or messages remotely when it has been triggered. No cameras apart from a couple of old Panasonics that are not in any way integrated with the above gadgetry.

Works when I am there. No clue if anyone bothers with it when I'm not.

The model I have is obsolete but here's their current equivalent. I think mine was around £300.

https://www.yale.co.uk/en/yale/couk/pro ... alarm-kit/

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » October 21, 2017, 12:50 pm

tamada wrote:
October 21, 2017, 11:58 am
I bought a DIY install Yale wireless security system from the UK many moons ago. Consists of 4 PIR (room motion detectors), maybe 8 switches (for detecting opened doors and/or windows), a couple of very loud alarms with strobes and the keypad/controller. The latter was designed to interface with a land-line only but I bought some bits and bobs on eBay so now it has a SIM module and mobile phone dial-up ability to send sms and/or messages remotely when it has been triggered. No cameras apart from a couple of old Panasonics that are not in any way integrated with the above gadgetry.

The model I have is obsolete but here's their current equivalent. I think mine was around £300.

Just curious but, those wireless PIR sensors, how often do you have to change the batteries out? Is that a problem?

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » October 21, 2017, 1:12 pm

lassebasse wrote:
October 21, 2017, 9:23 am
Cameras outside to detect intruders is a bit iffy in Thailand. Anybody having CCTV cameras outside here knows that the geckos love them at night... keeps them warm. I had to make some plastic rings and put them around the tip of the cameras to dissuade the geckos from dropping their tales in front of the lens... to get the IR heat I suspect. At any rate, not a very reliable way to detect intruders. Then your software needs to distinguish between a dog and a person, and not trying to be a wise arse but some Thais are only slightly larger than a large dog :)

On the other hand, waiting till a thief is inside the house to detect them has the obvious implications... danger to your family. PIR sensors outside in the Thai heat are not reliable either, as well as distinguishing between man and dog again (perhaps others have better results?) The most reliable detection outside would seem to be laser tripwires. I started on a laser tripwire for my perimeter wall last dry season, then got tied up with the extension we put on our house... plus I can't stand working outside in the heat. Hopefully with the dry "cooler" season upon us I can see if I can get that working. Not sure how a laser tripwire would preform in heavy rain though. :-k

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 21, 2017, 1:53 pm

rjj04 wrote:
October 21, 2017, 12:50 pm
tamada wrote:
October 21, 2017, 11:58 am

Just curious but, those wireless PIR sensors, how often do you have to change the batteries out? Is that a problem?
I reckon I've replace the PIR batteries maybe 5 times since new, maybe every 3 years or so? The alarm batteries and the window/door switches a couple or three times as they seem to last a bit longer. Not a hassle if you use the controller and tamper disabling properly. The setup DVD is idiot-proof and the videos can also be found on YouTube if you lose the DVD or instruction manual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL1LYoon1UE

mac1966
udonmap.com

Post by mac1966 » October 21, 2017, 3:56 pm

Where do you get the batteries for the pir sensors. As ours are 3 years now and expecting to replace soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 21, 2017, 4:57 pm

mac1966 wrote:
October 21, 2017, 3:56 pm
Where do you get the batteries for the pir sensors. As ours are 3 years now and expecting to replace soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Yale system uses standard D-cells in the alarm boxes, AAA batteries in the PIR's and CR2032's in the window/door switches. I am using Duracell again (now that the Chinese fakes have all been bought up!) but Panasonic red/gold or better blue/silver, top-of-the-range types will do. Do NOT use the cheap black or green Panasonics sold at mom & pop stores!

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”