Month of October

General Udon Thani topics only!
dingdong
udonmap.com

Month of October

Post by dingdong » September 24, 2017, 7:55 pm

I am only assuming but for teh month of October and teh individual's funeral what can be expected for closures, government, Banks, liquor sales etc????

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Re: Month of October

Post by BobHelm » September 25, 2017, 9:14 am

I can find very little about what will actually happen - either officially, or even speculation.

This appears to have been the only official announcement.
BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand’s late an individual Adulyadej will be cremated on Oct. 26, a government official said on Wednesday, adding that an individual’s funeral will take place over a five day period.
Wikipedia seems to have more detail about the actual event.
funeral.png
Mouse click to enlarge
From this I am even not sure what the '5 day period' is as the Wiki information seems to be a day short, although the following day, 29th. October, is a Sunday anyway.

I cannot see that Government Departments (i.e. Immigration) are likely to be operating during that 5 day & I suspect that alcohol sales will be a no-no for some, if not all.. :(

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » September 25, 2017, 10:23 am

I,n not sure nation wide but our amphoe is closing for the whole week and laying on free buses for anyone wishing to go to the cremation site in Bangkok.Taking literally millions of hand made flowers the ladies have been making for two months now. There is also a shrine being created at Amphoe in the village .
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 25, 2017, 11:10 am

trubrit wrote:
September 25, 2017, 10:23 am
I,n not sure nation wide but our amphoe is closing for the whole week and laying on free buses for anyone wishing to go to the cremation site in Bangkok.Taking literally millions of hand made flowers the ladies have been making for two months now. There is also a shrine being created at Amphoe in the village .
I think the public attendance period for paying one's respects in person in Bangkok ended on 30th September. However, about 2 weeks ago they announced that loads of civil servants who were unable to go to Bangkok due to their work will be given time off to go pay their respects, hence the already announced warning for the public to be aware of staff shortages or delays in getting stuff done at Amphurs, Immigration and other government offices. There will be local inconveniences due to staff shortages running up to the cremation so better to check with whatever government entity you are dealing with before making fixed plans. I would imagine the smaller the Amphur, the more likely they will let all staff go and thus may close for a few days.

Since the 26th, the actual day of cremation, is the only announced (so far) national public holiday, and considering the leeway granted to local government staff mentioned above, I think that the worst case scenario of 5 days of closures is highly unlikely. One government minister did suggest adding the 25th and 27th to the public holiday to allow people to travel to/from Bangkok for the cremation but nobody ran with that idea (so far). The 25th and 27th through 28th are for the usual pre- and post-cremation rites and in a typical cremation, that is a private, family affair. These extra days will be for the rites afforded of the royal family and not for public participation beyond watching the ashes procession on 27th and relics procession on 28th. Then it's TGIF and the weekend.

The last royal cremation was in late 2008 for Princess Galyani Vadhana. If anyone can recall what the closures and inconveniences were like, it may give a clue as to what to expect? I was at work so missed it.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » September 25, 2017, 12:54 pm

It appears the whole month will be disrupted starting on the 13th the one year anniversary of the death making the weekend 13th/15th a holiday . Then Rama 5 day on 23rd making 21st/23rd a holiday. The cremation being on the 25th it is likely the Rama 5 weekend will be extended by one day 24th to link up the two events .Then until the 31st a period of further mourning by government workers .No idea how banks and bars will be affected yet .

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 25, 2017, 1:20 pm

trubrit wrote:
September 25, 2017, 12:54 pm
It appears the whole month will be disrupted starting on the 13th the one year anniversary of the death making the weekend 13th/15th a holiday . Then Rama 5 day on 23rd making 21st/23rd a holiday. The cremation being on the 25th it is likely the Rama 5 weekend will be extended by one day 24th to link up the two events .Then until the 31st a period of further mourning by government workers .No idea how banks and bars will be affected yet .
The 13th isn't a holiday, it's an observance.
The 14th/15th is the weekend, not a holiday
The 21st/22nd is the weekend, not a holiday (again).
The 23rd is a declared, official holiday.
The 25th is a declared, official holiday.

Absolutely no clue where your fetching this "until the 31st" mourning for government workers.

The government has already announced that some local government services may be impaired BEFORE the royal cremation by staff being bused to Bangkok to pay respects BEFORE the royal cremation. If anyone is planning any local government business in October outwith the 3 national public holidays, they should check the hours of operation of the relevant offices first.

Banks will observe the national public holidays, all 3 of them... and the usual weekends.

The local police will be the ones drafting formal alcohol restrictions on advice from Bangkok but beyond the 25th, I don't see them mandating bar and entertainment places close. Bars, retail and wholesale alcohol sales are typically shuttered around major Buddhist observances and local elections. None of these fall due in October. I would assume that in a similar fashion to the days immediately after Rama IX's passing, bars and entertainment places were allowed to operate but with no loud music, lights, etc.. Business as normal but respectfully subdued... which just about sums up most hostelries that the great udonmap demographic furtively lurk in.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » September 25, 2017, 1:51 pm

tamada wrote:
September 25, 2017, 1:20 pm

The 13th isn't a holiday, it's an observance.
The 14th/15th is the weekend, not a holiday
The 21st/22nd is the weekend, not a holiday (again).
The 23rd is a declared, official holiday.
The 25th is a declared, official holiday.

Absolutely no clue where your fetching this "until the 31st" mourning for government workers.

The government has already announced that some local government services may be impaired BEFORE the royal cremation by staff being bused to Bangkok to pay respects BEFORE the royal cremation. If anyone is planning any local government business in October outwith the 3 national public holidays, they should check the hours of operation of the relevant offices first.

Banks will observe the national public holidays, all 3 of them... and the usual weekends.

The local police will be the ones drafting formal alcohol restrictions on advice from Bangkok but beyond the 25th, I don't see them mandating bar and entertainment places close. Bars, retail and wholesale alcohol sales are typically shuttered around major Buddhist observances and local elections. None of these fall due in October. I would assume that in a similar fashion to the days immediately after Rama IX's passing, bars and entertainment places were allowed to operate but with no loud music, lights, etc.. Business as normal but respectfully subdued... which just about sums up most hostelries that the great udonmap demographic furtively lurk in.
All the info I posted was from my discussion this morning with the boss of my local amphoe. I'm sorry if I upset you , of course as most will know I was referring to a holiday weekend.ie a day falling on a Friday or a Monday coiniciding with the normal weekend break.I really must remember to be more precise with my descriptions in future. :-"

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 25, 2017, 2:05 pm

Given that it's been more than 80ish years since the last funeral for the head man, and given that this man has been so respected, I doubt there are any givens on what exactly to expect in terms of disruption. Stock up and plan ahead. I can't imagine going to Bangkok during that time. A Thai friend showed off his 'sun tan' a few days ago.....I inquired, "been to the beach?", 'nope, been to pay his last respects in Bangkok,' he said. He got in line at 5AM, then at 7AM, eveyone was told there were formal ceremonies during the day and they'd have to wait several hours before they were complete. He waited a full 12 hours before finally allowed in.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » September 25, 2017, 2:23 pm

This from khaosodhttp://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/bangkok/201 ... -bhumibol/
The cabinet stiil haven't issued a proclamation.However all Tvv broadcasts are to be in black &white from 1st -20th Oct
http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/ ... l-funeral/

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 25, 2017, 2:33 pm

Val, your link created a
Ooops... Error 404
(Page not found) error for me.. Largely because UdonMap alters the word K.I.N.G in order not to create possible political issues...
So, bearing that in mind :D I did a bit of alteration & came up with this from them!!
BANGKOK — His Majesty the Late individual’s cremation on Oct. 26 will be marked with a national public holiday, the interim cabinet announced Tuesday.

The funeral rites will occur Oct. 25 through Oct. 29. On the second day, an individual’s remains will be cremated. The cabinet hasn’t confirmed whether the other four days will also be holidays.

The ritual is set to draw millions of mourners to the capital city to express their grief to the only individual many knew all their lives. It will be the first funeral for a monarch in over 80 years.

The date of cremation of an individual, who died at 88 in October, was submitted by the government to his heir and current monarch, individual Vajiralongkorn, earlier this month. The proposal has been approved by an individual, according to a palace document seen by the media.

A massive funeral pyre is being built at this very moment on Sanam Luang, the site of royal cremations for the past 200 years. Once it is completed, the multi-million baht pyre, which will feature intricate Thai art and craftsmanship, will cover a length of 80 meters on the northern side of Sanam Luang.

Two weeks ago, the cabinet approved two new holidays: July 28, individual Vajiralongkorn’s birthday; and Oct. 13, which will mark the first anniversary of his father’s death.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » September 25, 2017, 2:55 pm

Thanks Bob.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 25, 2017, 5:36 pm

parrot wrote:
September 25, 2017, 2:05 pm
Given that it's been more than 80ish years since the last funeral for the head man, and given that this man has been so respected, I doubt there are any givens on what exactly to expect in terms of disruption. Stock up and plan ahead. I can't imagine going to Bangkok during that time. A Thai friend showed off his 'sun tan' a few days ago.....I inquired, "been to the beach?", 'nope, been to pay his last respects in Bangkok,' he said. He got in line at 5AM, then at 7AM, eveyone was told there were formal ceremonies during the day and they'd have to wait several hours before they were complete. He waited a full 12 hours before finally allowed in.

Truly amazing ..... can wait in a queue for twelve hours ...... but ask to wait in a line of traffic for 5 mins ...... NO CHANCE :evil:

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » September 26, 2017, 10:43 pm

Heard tonight that Official Mourning Period begins on 13 Oct and last day is 27 Oct.

Holiday on 26 Oct, the day of cremation.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 28, 2017, 1:06 pm

Thailand travel advisory on the Royal Cremation for the late an individual Adulyadej
print

The Royal Thai Government has announced that the Royal Cremation for the late an individual Adulyadej is scheduled for 25-29 October, 2017. Thursday, 26 October, will be the royal cremation day, and it has been declared a public holiday by the Cabinet to allow the people to take part in paying a final tribute to the late individual.

During the process of the Royal Cremation which will last five days, tourist attractions across Thailand will be open as usual. This is with the exception of Bangkok’s Grand Palace and the Temple of the Emerald Buddha, which will be closed from 1-29 October, 2017, as they will be the venue of the Royal Cremation. All transport, banks, shopping areas, hospitals and other public services will be operating as usual.

However, the Tourism Authority of Thailand would like to recommend that any visitors with travel or tourism plans reconfirm with agents and check local media regularly as well as follow the advice of the local authorities for announcements and updates. They should also be aware that in some areas transportation could be affected. We also ask tourists and visitors for their understanding and patience should they experience delays or some routes may be closed to traffic.

In this time of great sadness and mourning, we would like to ask that everyone uses their judgment regarding how or should they make arrangements for events planned in Thailand. Also, we would like to ask visitors for their understanding that this is a sensitive time for Thailand, and they should respect the feelings and sensitivities of the Thai people.

Many Thai people will be wearing black clothes as a sign of mourning. This is not required of visitors but if possible, they should wear respectful clothing when in public. We also would like to request that the solemnity of the Royal Cremation is observed, and visitors should refrain from conducting any inappropriate or disrespectful behaviour.

The world is welcome to Thailand during this historic period. Visitors to the kingdom at this time will get to see the great love and reverence that the Thai people have for their beloved individual in the way they mourn and pay their respects. And during this time, Thailand is thankful for our friends coming to share their sadness and pass on their condolences. This gesture of empathy and friendship will be remembered by the people of Thailand for decades to come.

For more details on the Royal Cremation, please visit: http://www.kingrama9.net/EN

Prepared on 21 September, 2017, by:
International News Section
International Public Relations Division
Tourism Authority of Thailand
Unfortunately the URL to the original article will not work - for the same reason Trubrit's link above would not work, so I have not bothered to list it.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 28, 2017, 3:07 pm

The flag will be lowered to half-staff from 13-27 Oct
Government offices will be closed just one day, 26 Oct.
http://www.bangkokbiznews.com/news/detail/774529
I would expect most Thais to be in black during that period......so, I'd dress conservatively.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 28, 2017, 3:17 pm

From the above ref'd article, ในส่วนการจัดรายการของสถานีวิทยุ โทรทัศน์ นั้น ที่เป็นรายการบันเทิงต่าง ๆ ขอความร่วมมือตลอดเดือนต.ค I believe it means there will be no entertainment programs on TV/Radio during the month of Oct.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 28, 2017, 3:22 pm

A chamber of commerce friend tells me no public celebrations during the month. But private parties are allowed.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 30, 2017, 1:47 pm

PHUKET: Patong Police Chief Col Tassanai Orarigdech has confirmed that alcohol sales will be banned on Oct 5 as required by law to honour Wan Org Pansa, which marks the end of Buddhist Lent, but says that he has yet to receive any notices to enforce a ban on the sale of alcohol on any other days in October.

“So far the Ministry of Interior has only declared a ban on alcohol sales from midnight to midnight on October 5,” Col Tassanai told The Phuket News yesterday (Sept 29).

“This is as usual and happens each year. There has been no notice on alcohol ban on October 13 or Royal funeral days, so far,” he confirmed.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/alcohol-s ... 7odc8UZ.97

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 2, 2017, 6:39 pm

From Thaivisa.......October 13th – A national holiday to honor the anniversary of the his death

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 5, 2017, 2:40 pm

No mention about today (5th) can I assume the bars etc are closed as usual

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”