Generator

General Udon Thani topics only!
Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Generator

Post by Fuzzy Ken » September 24, 2016, 4:30 pm

Just wondered what others experiences are.

Following various power cuts (power outages) we purchased a generator in June and have had to use it 5 times already so seems like a wise choice. One day we were without power for nearly 11 hours !

Customers have told us that there are often problems but in general this appears to be in some of the small villages.

Anyhow, just wondered and any feedback appreciated.

Thanks
Fuzzyken's

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Re: Generator

Post by vincemunday » September 25, 2016, 7:15 am

I bought one a while back, we live in town but have had to use it twice so far. Mines not big enough to power the air con but it gave us lights, fans, fridges and freezers and I've actually had separate plugs wired in so that all be need to do is fire the generator up, no leads. The only problem i found is that its a bit noisy and i didn't like leaving it on overnight and although the neighbours are lovely and wouldn't moan i switched it off so I guess my next purchase will be a big inverter so I can run fans overnight too.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

reddevil
udonmap.com

Post by reddevil » September 25, 2016, 1:22 pm

You may be better looking at silent diesel generator one big enough to run your air con and an auto switch will cost around 60,000 they run at around 65 db so neighbours should not complain.

Photoman
udonmap.com

Post by Photoman » September 26, 2016, 3:38 am

Hi reddevil

Where would you suggest I start to look if I wanted to purchase one 65db myself , also what would the physical size be .
One other question , how do you calculate the size you require in amps ( sorry for my ignorance if amps is wrong )

Thank you

ricks
udonmap.com

Post by ricks » September 26, 2016, 7:14 am

I use a 5kw one, powers everything

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » September 26, 2016, 7:49 am

Hi photoman, be careful when calculating amps, most fridges and freezers etc use about 1.8 - 2.2kw when they first start up but settle down to much less, so if you buy a generator it needs to be powerful enough to handle the start up or you need to stagger the turning on of fridges, freezers and major appliances. Personally, I wouldn't use diesel, my experience of them in the last hasn't been great, I have found them smelly, heavy and unreliable but it's a personal thing. If I was going to buy a serious back up genny I would look at the 6.5kw petrol Kipor, I have used Kipor's every work day for years, they are about half the price of a Honda, really reliable and more importantly you can buy spares for them on eBay, most of the Chinese generators are dead when they are dead. Don't worry too much about a battery start either, normally the batteries go dead unless you disconnect them in between uses but Kipor's will start easily enough on a pull.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

reddevil
udonmap.com

Post by reddevil » September 26, 2016, 9:06 am

Photoman wrote:Hi reddevil

Where would you suggest I start to look if I wanted to purchase one 65db myself , also what would the physical size be .
One other question , how do you calculate the size you require in amps ( sorry for my ignorance if amps is wrong )

Thank you
Hi Photoman

I Had a petrol gen set and they are to much maintenance if you don't start them each day ( fuel clogs up the carburettor and very noisey )

I priced up the ultra silent Kipor 5.5 Kw with an ATS and this came in around 60.000 delivered from BKK I did not buy as I am now looking at going Solar.

Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Post by Fuzzy Ken » September 26, 2016, 9:33 am

Hi
Calculating the power required from a generator is very important and the start-up power even for fluorescent lights should not be overlooked. Aircon is a major factor and including just one unit requires a larger output.
Consider carefully what is actually needed. At our restaurant the priority is lights (for security), fans and TV but since freezers stay frozen for many hours without power we left those out of our calculations. Refrigerators are a different matter but keeping the doors closed is a big help in keeping things cool.
For business purposes the problem is not knowing how long the power will be out but here in the city center it's usually an hour or two and if in daylight it is far less a problem.
Noise is another consideration but so far its not become an issue with our neighbours even though the generator is in the back yard.
Also, perhaps not so important but consider the running costs.
Ken

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » September 26, 2016, 10:00 am

As i said above, I have used generators a lot, i had catering trailers and each had it's own generator and backup, I've never experienced either the high maintenance or the clogging up the gentleman above has experienced, i'm not saying it doesn't happen, i've just never seen it. My Kipors just used to be checked regularly for oil, they don't use a lot and I used to empty the oil once every six months or so, a quick clean of the petrol filler cap filter, a one minute job, but bear in mind mine were used and abused and it's unlikely you would need to do it as often. I have used many, many generators and would recommend Kipor every time.

reddevil
udonmap.com

Post by reddevil » September 26, 2016, 10:50 am

vincemunday wrote:As i said above, I have used generators a lot, i had catering trailers and each had it's own generator and backup, I've never experienced either the high maintenance or the clogging up the gentleman above has experienced, i'm not saying it doesn't happen, i've just never seen it. My Kipors just used to be checked regularly for oil, they don't use a lot and I used to empty the oil once every six months or so, a quick clean of the petrol filler cap filter, a one minute job, but bear in mind mine were used and abused and it's unlikely you would need to do it as often. I have used many, many generators and would recommend Kipor every time.
You hit the nail on the head Vince ( used and abused ) mine was not as it was a back up so only for power cuts petrol dose gel in the carb if not used the life of petrol left in a tank is around 1 month so if you set is standing waiting for a power cut you could have problems. You will not have this problem with Diesel and of course they are silent which is a plus. Also with an ATS just turn your power of once a week and Gen will start run for 10 - 15 min and it will also keep your battery charged and no one will complain as its SILENT that is the big plus.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » September 26, 2016, 11:53 am

I must have just been lucky I guess, the back ups used to sit for months without being used on the A frame open to all the UK elements and they always fired up pretty much first time, As you might expect, having used generators almost daily for 10 years I got to know my way around a genny, and you might want to check up before you go all big with "silent" as well because once you've done your research you will most likely find that a diesel Kipor running at maximum load will operate at around 5 - 7 db LOUDER than its petrol equivalent, that's around 10% louder. Basically I have NEVER heard of petrol gelling EVER but i know they do sell a petrol oxidation stabiliser for those who worry about it. To be honest, most showmen and market traders I know who use portable generators use Honda but that's a lot of money to tie up for emergencies and Kipor definitely offer a decent alternative.

Photoman
udonmap.com

Post by Photoman » September 27, 2016, 3:18 am

Thank you for your responses .... Is there an agent for Kipor in Udon ?

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » September 27, 2016, 5:24 am

If you google "Kipor Thailand" you'll find a supplier, shipping isn't expensive here.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » September 27, 2016, 7:11 pm

I have desile one cost me about ^k it is loud even though says it's quite. Runs one air can two fridges generators hose light, fan internet TV When I turn on second aircon I can hear it loading so I just use one. Mine set up to operate from our main fuse box. I have to turn off the main breaker. Then in the bedroom I have light that is hooked f directly to the main current when that comes on. I know to turn off the generator and back to the main power. I start about once a month to make sure it's oK I have only had to use it once since about it for about 45 Mins.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”