Thai Bank Accounts

General Udon Thani topics only!
neeemu
udonmap.com

Thai Bank Accounts

Post by neeemu » April 4, 2007, 2:19 am

Hi, I'm going to be over in Udon around Songkran and am looking at getting a Thai bank account set up.
Can anyone recommend a bank there? Or probably more to the point any to avoid?
Cheers

farang
udonmap.com

Post by farang » April 4, 2007, 2:46 am

First ,you CAN NOT open a bank account on a tourist /VOA visa,,,you will need a "non im o"visa, etc etc ....
all banks are same same ,bangkok bank is ok as are others,same same.... 50/50 crap,but they work ok "ish" lol

202marcellus
udonmap.com

Post by 202marcellus » April 4, 2007, 3:54 am

I opened a Savings account at Kasikorn bank and received an ATM card on the spot while in Thailand 2 weeks ago on a visa on arrival. I also signed up for internet access as to be able to check my account from here in the USA. I was only asked to present a passport. The application was in Thai and was filled out by my G/F and signed by me.

farang
udonmap.com

Post by farang » April 4, 2007, 4:06 am

202marcellus wrote:. The application was in Thai and was filled out by my G/F and signed by me.
good luck, LOL :lol:

neeemu
udonmap.com

Post by neeemu » April 4, 2007, 4:19 am

I read that all you need is a passport and 200 baht. I thought that you had to had so much in a Thai bank account to get certain visas, which would indicate that you would have to be able to. I'm obviously no expert in these matters though.

I know banks tend to be the same but I thought I best ask in case anyone has had a bad experience in any banks over there, as I like my money to be taken care of. :D

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » April 4, 2007, 5:24 am

farang wrote:
202marcellus wrote:. The application was in Thai and was filled out by my G/F and signed by me.

Oh Dear :yikes:

hxjohn
udonmap.com

Post by hxjohn » April 4, 2007, 5:48 am

money and passport is all you need and a smile :D
all the things you complain about in thailand end up been the reasons why you like it so much does that make sense :?

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 4, 2007, 6:27 am

I opened up an account at the Siam Commercial Bank in Robinson's - Chareon (sp) Branch. I filled out the required information, but my fiancee had to show her land paper and Thai registration card for me to do so. I got an ATM card, and some souvenirs such as a calendar, and a bag. All I had was a passport, but I could not have got the account without the information from my fiancee.

mally
udonmap.com

Post by mally » April 4, 2007, 6:50 am

H'mm, seems the banks don't all follow the same rules - In December 06 I went with a Brit mate who lives in UT to do some touring (Laos etc:) but ran into problems with the 3 Visa on Arrival rule, Immigration at NK told me I could get a Non Imm O visa if I put 800,000 into a Thai bank - we duly went to his bank in UT where he was friendly with the manageress and asked for an account - she told me there was NO WAY under the new rules without having a 3 month visa - I informed her that NK Immigration would give me the visa if she would give me the account - she still politely refused, telling me to return to her on my next visit to thailand WITH A 3 MONTH VISA that I could get at the Thai Consulate in the UK and then she would gladly take my money and give me an account. Seems it's a standard Thai thing - depends on who reads the rules and how they THINK they should be applied ! :?

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » April 4, 2007, 7:18 am

If you're not married to a Thai National all you will get is a 60 day Tourist from the Thai Consul in your home country, or a 30 VOA on the border. You can extend the 60 day ticket for 30 days for a fee at the nearest immigration office.

panick
udonmap.com

Post by panick » April 4, 2007, 7:21 am

Prenders88 wrote:
farang wrote:

I got the book and the ATM card.....I wonder if my 750bht is still there :lol: :lol:

jimmy49

Post by jimmy49 » April 4, 2007, 7:38 am

Prenders88 wrote:
farang wrote:

yes you can open a bank account as i have two friends who did it and they have card and book and all they required was a contact phone number in thailand i e girlfriends mobile number and passport plus 1000 baht in account with tmb and the other with bangkok bank
so like one person has already said diffrent banks diffrent rules

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » April 4, 2007, 11:30 am

neeemu wrote:I read that all you need is a passport and 200 baht. I thought that you had to had so much in a Thai bank account to get certain visas, which would indicate that you would have to be able to. I'm obviously no expert in these matters though.

I know banks tend to be the same but I thought I best ask in case anyone has had a bad experience in any banks over there, as I like my money to be taken care of. :D
I WILL take care of YOURE Money,if you ask me " Nicely " :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doc
udonmap.com

Post by Doc » April 4, 2007, 1:02 pm

I have opened up accounts in four different banks here - and have never been asked for my visa. Just my passport.

With Bangkok Bank my work permit was necessary to have the Internet Access.
Ain't Easy Being Me

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » April 4, 2007, 2:10 pm

neeemu,

I recommend Krung Thai Bank in Charoensir Center. I have opened up a couple of passbook/ATM accounts with Krung Thai with just a visa on arrival, plus other accounts in later years. They also have pretty good English language support via telephone, and you can check you balance, and even transfer to other accounts over the internet.

Techland
udonmap.com

Post by Techland » April 4, 2007, 2:40 pm

Doc wrote:With Bangkok Bank my work permit was necessary to have the Internet Access.
BTW, did I overlook something or is this service only available in Thai language?

Doc
udonmap.com

Post by Doc » April 4, 2007, 3:41 pm

This is the link to the English section for logging in.

https://ibanking.bangkokbank.com/BiB/index.html

It does not work in Firefox. Only IE.
Ain't Easy Being Me

ttom
udonmap.com

Strange ...

Post by ttom » April 4, 2007, 3:54 pm

Tilokarat wrote:I opened up an account at the Siam Commercial Bank in Robinson's - Chareon (sp) Branch. I filled out the required information, but my fiancee had to show her land paper and Thai registration card for me to do so. I got an ATM card, and some souvenirs such as a calendar, and a bag. All I had was a passport, but I could not have got the account without the information from my fiancee.

In 2006 I went alone into SCB at Robinsons with my passport (VOA), 5000 TBT in cash plus a smile and walked out about 10 minutes later with a brand new savings account incl. eVisa ATM card (works world wide, except Cuba and Iran), access code for Internet banking and a free sports carrier back. It all costs me 200 TBT. The ATM card worked fine ever since.

I didn't ask for a current account (this would have been impossible at that time) but the standard savings account is all I've wanted.

It took about one week and I could use Internet banking - which is in Thailand limited to just a few transaction options but worked fine. I could pay my utility bills, rental, phone bill and others.

Everthime I trott into SCB I find a friendly smile, some small talk and plenty of useful informations.

I don't use my Bangkok Bank account very rarely; the service in Udon Thani is not that good.

In Jomtien I keep a account with TMB which is also working nicely, ever since I've started it, including Internet banking. There service is also very friendly and efficient. Even since I not present that often any more, the manageress is always trying to arrange some small talk.

Having lived in China for a while, banking in Thailand is nothing to complain about.

neeemu
udonmap.com

Post by neeemu » April 5, 2007, 2:31 pm

Cheers geezers, I think with your help I've narrowed it down to two banks, that being Krung Thai or Siam Commercial.
Will be back in Udon on the 8th and I can't wait!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 6, 2007, 1:09 pm

Opened my new account at Kasikorn Bank in Ban Dung yesterday. All I needed was passport (with 1 year non O-A) and some cash. Issued ATM card and passbook immediately, and will check online access shortly.

Time taken - about 15 minutes.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”