My Shopping Day in 8330 Steps

General Udon Thani topics only!
parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 31, 2016, 4:51 pm

Some days I come to town with a list of things to do and go home with most the same list to do another day. Mai-me (ไม่มี), mhod-laow (หมดแล้ว), or mai-ruu (ไม่รู้).....among the usual reasons for not checking things off the list. But today......in 8330 steps I got a boatload of things done:
- first to check my mailbox at the post office.
- then to Somsak's pharmacy next to Ban Hui market to buy some prescription meds. Always a treat to talk with the owners and today's bonus was two pharmaceutical apprentices from KKU. I walked in and showed one of the apprentices the box of what I wanted and asked in Thai if she had it.....and she responded in English "Do you want the whole box?" She'll make a good pharmacist someday.
- that accomplished, I went to the TOT office to top up my TOT 3G phone......then to report a bit of distortion on my home phone.........and just as I was about to walk out the door, I asked (just asked maybe a month ago) about fiber in my neighborhood (Kilo 18). The man looked at his screen and announced "Mee". Well, I'll be......fiber optics in the jungle. No charge to install, no charge for the 200+ meters of cable that will have to come down the soi, no charge for the modem. And I'll pay the same price for 15megs that I currently pay for 1.5megs on a copper line.
- dropped off an old watch to have it cleaned up and battery replaced.
- time for lunch at my favorite Viet noodle store near the jail. And picked up some dry cleaning immediately next door.
- picked up my watch.
- now I'm off to find a chainsaw. I went to Toolpro yesterday....but 'ไม่มี" and I got the impression that Toolpro may be seeing its last days. So today I first went to DoHome. They had 3 models (2900-4200 Baht)......but decided to check next door at HomeHub. While still at DoHome, I picked up 3 different sizes of rubberized pipe insulator (the long pieces that are used to insulate air con pipes). A single piece at a ripoff AC joint in town cost me 100 baht. The individual pieces at DoHome were 22-24 Baht each). A deal!
- Next HomeHub....and they had what I consider an adequate chainsaw for 2950 Baht. My last no-name (TUF) from Global lasted me 4+ years of heavy duty cutting mature trees on an acre of land.
- Almost done......stopped at the True shop in Old Lotus to apply for my UBC refund. After 18 years, I cashed in the chips for Netflix and a VPN line for a fraction of the cost of my UBC Gold membership. Done.........despite the company name changing 3 times over the years, they had my records on file and my refund will be deposited into my bank account in 45 days.
- bought some milk and shampoo while in Tesco. Have, have
- stopped at the PTT gas station to fill up the truck and buy a few hundred baht of lawn gas.
Today was a good day in town......got my exercise in to boot!

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » May 31, 2016, 7:53 pm

I used to get a bit peeved at the lack of one-stop shopping in Udon but now that I've learned a little more of where and when to go it's not nearly so trying. Yep, you had a heck of a good day. It takes some running around but compared to 8 or 10 years ago there are now a lot more choices available.

thaiguzzi
udonmap.com

Post by thaiguzzi » June 1, 2016, 3:58 pm

Parrot,
can you give me your reason/opinion why you think Toolpro is on it's last legs. I know it's over stocked on the employee front, like most large retail places, and the place never seems busy but...
The place often has tools and tooling that none of the other larger places have, and is the official Udon supplier of Cromwell tools from BKK, so from my perspective, it'll be a shame when it's gone.
I only pop into Udon every 3 months or so on shopping trips, generally tools, s/s fasteners, m/c parts and occasionally bare minimum felang food,

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 1, 2016, 4:14 pm

thaiguzzi wrote:Parrot,
can you give me your reason/opinion why you think Toolpro is on it's last legs. I know it's over stocked on the employee front, like most large retail places, and the place never seems busy but...
The place often has tools and tooling that none of the other larger places have, and is the official Udon supplier of Cromwell tools from BKK, so from my perspective, it'll be a shame when it's gone.
I only pop into Udon every 3 months or so on shopping trips, generally tools, s/s fasteners, m/c parts and occasionally bare minimum felang food,
Just an impression.......first the large area to the right as you enter the parking lot - empty for several months. Then the garden area, also to the right of the parking lot - empty. The repair shop at the front of the store was emptied when I visited a few days ago. Some of the indoor displays haven't been changed in ages. Same sort of thing happened at HomeMart....although I guess they're still open.

thaiguzzi
udonmap.com

Post by thaiguzzi » June 2, 2016, 4:41 pm

Thanx for the reply.
Mike.

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » June 3, 2016, 1:12 am

parrot wrote:
thaiguzzi wrote:Parrot,
Just an impression.......first the large area to the right as you enter the parking lot - empty for several months. Then the garden area, also to the right of the parking lot - empty. The repair shop at the front of the store was emptied when I visited a few days ago. Some of the indoor displays haven't been changed in ages. Same sort of thing happened at HomeMart....although I guess they're still open.
Might find out the inside scoop from an American named Jim. His wife did, not sure about now, work in there as sort of a liaison with farang shoppers and to aid in translation. Sorry, don't remember Jim's last name, but he lived in Nongsamrong, not far from BB resort, and I think was a regular at papafarang's place.
Every day I wake up is a good day.

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » June 3, 2016, 1:20 am

Parrot, judging from the title of this thread you must own a fitbit, right? I've had mine for almost a year now. Do you have the "myfitnesspal" app? If so, "friend" me.
Every day I wake up is a good day.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”