What Couriers Insure Packages to US

General Udon Thani topics only!
semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » May 25, 2016, 3:27 pm

Gentlemen/Ladies, I need to send a piece of jewelry valued at $7000 back to Boston, MA in the US for specialty repairs, and it needs to be insured for that amount in case of loss. Do any of you know of a reputable courier who would provide that type of service along with the insurance protection?

I visited the local DHL office and they wanted a whopping 21,000 Baht just to insure the contents, which is a ridiculous price. The nearest FedX office in Korat will do a local pick-up for an additional fee, but they will only insure contents up to $1000. At this point I am at a dead end, so I'm hoping that someone out there has had this experience in the past and can make a solid recommendation. Your replies will be much appreciated indeed!

Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » May 25, 2016, 3:48 pm

Last edited by Lone Star on March 6, 2019, 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » May 25, 2016, 4:28 pm

Here's the UPS info on high value shipments:

https://www.ups.com/media/en/value-adde ... _daily.pdf
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » May 25, 2016, 8:35 pm

Check with EMS at the post office. According to their web site they do International Insured Mail. I have found them reliable and much less expensive than U.S. based carriers

http://track.thailandpost.co.th/TRACKIN ... px?lang=en

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » May 26, 2016, 7:29 am

Last edited by Lone Star on March 6, 2019, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » May 26, 2016, 10:03 am

Guys...thanks so far for the suggestions. DHL is out of the question for me, and I hope to head to the UPS office and the Thai Post Office today to inquire. Making phone calls to get answers most always winds up in a simple "no hab", so I always take my wife for a face to face and then I can dig deeper without being cut off simply because they don't have the quick answers.

Again, thank you for your responses thus far, and please keep the suggestions coming if they have not been addressed already.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

runrunshaw
udonmap.com

Post by runrunshaw » May 27, 2016, 8:28 am

Call Gae at the UPS office in Nongsamrong. Her English is good and you can get insurance. 089 849 9065. Tell her Ed sent you.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » May 27, 2016, 7:34 pm

runrunshaw wrote:Call Gae at the UPS office in Nongsamrong. Her English is good and you can get insurance. 089 849 9065. Tell her Ed sent you.
Went by to talk with Gae today. She was great, but after calling Bangkok we discovered that they will only insure contents of a package up to $2500. Wow, my question is...."how in the world do Thai businesses ship expensive products to other parts of the world when there is no insurance offered"? This just blows my mind that I can't get a package insured for a mere $7000.

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » May 27, 2016, 9:25 pm

Don't know what it would cost but these guys say they will insure any patcel shipped by reputable carrier

http://www.shipsurance.com/

Please post what you find out. It would be good for future reference

I just saw where EMS insures for 7,000 Baht. Not very much. I don't know of you can buy addtional

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » May 28, 2016, 5:02 pm

Charlieb wrote:Don't know what it would cost but these guys say they will insure any patcel shipped by reputable carrier

http://www.shipsurance.com/

Please post what you find out. It would be good for future reference

I just saw where EMS insures for 7,000 Baht. Not very much. I don't know of you can buy addtional
Thanks Charlieb! Shipsurance is designed for companies that have regular shipments going out. For a single one time shipment like mine, I was referred to their sister company, InsurePost, where the maximum coverage is only $1000, so this won't work for me.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » May 28, 2016, 5:51 pm

An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » May 29, 2016, 9:23 am

semperfiguy wrote:
runrunshaw wrote:Call Gae at the UPS office in Nongsamrong. Her English is good and you can get insurance. 089 849 9065. Tell her Ed sent you.
Went by to talk with Gae today. She was great, but after calling Bangkok we discovered that they will only insure contents of a package up to $2500. Wow, my question is...."how in the world do Thai businesses ship expensive products to other parts of the world when there is no insurance offered"? This just blows my mind that I can't get a package insured for a mere $7000.
UPS is a large Global organization. I think if they insure something for $2500 they are going to take more than reasonable care to make sure it is safely delivered. They don't have to know the actual value, unless you tell them. Personally, I think I'd be willing to use this method, but that's just me.
Every day I wake up is a good day.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » May 29, 2016, 1:40 pm

I would carefully consider before posting something out of Thailand that will be returned. Good chance that you will be hit by customs duty on the return trip - which could be VERY expensive.

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » May 29, 2016, 2:27 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
Have you tried creating the shipment yourself on UPS Thai website to get a quote?
I've just had a play & it says
"Declared Value
The declared value of your shipment indicates UPS's maximum liability for a package that is lost or damaged. UPS's liability is limited to US$100.00 (or local currency equivalent) on packages with no declared value. By entering a declared value and paying an additional charge, you can choose to declare a higher value for your shipment up to the maximum allowed in your country."

I entered a value of 275000THB (over 7000USD from OP). & the additional charges only came back as 50THB/3291THB (odd value, I know) so just ove 4000THB for full cover
This suggests you don't need to purchase additional insurance as UPS own liabilities will cover the value of the goods you want to ship :D
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » May 29, 2016, 4:51 pm

Last edited by Lone Star on March 6, 2019, 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 31, 2016, 12:39 pm

Spend the 21000 B, going to BKK and finding a reputable Jeweller who will quote for the repairs , BKK has a massive wholesale jewellery area .

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » May 31, 2016, 2:20 pm

Last edited by Lone Star on March 6, 2019, 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » May 31, 2016, 4:29 pm

Nope Wazza, for sure I wouldn't trust a jeweler in BKK to do the repairs without switching the diamonds and replacing the guts with something counterfeit.

And thanks for the suggestion Big Bubba, but I wouldn't trust a local employee with a $2500 insured package with contents valued at $7000. After it got on the plane out of Thailand I could feel some relief, but until then $2500 is a half year's wages for any guy who may be tempted to break into the package and run away, and then I'm shafted for sure.

Fdimike, thanks for the suggestion of TNT. I took 10 minutes to prepare an email on their contact page and it wouldn't submit and I lost it. If they can't keep their website up to speed, how could one trust them with a package?

Just to bring everyone concerned up to speed, the jeweler in the US can email me third party documents for full insurance coverage and a shipping label that has to go through FedEx for a total of $275. The nearest FedEx in Korat can send a vendor to pick up the package in Udon, but the insurance is not effective until it is scanned into their main facility in Bangkok at Samuthprakarn. Can you just imagine the possibilities for pilferage on that journey that will take at least two days with all the transfers? This is getting more bazarre by the day.

Again, I'm thankful for all the suggestions thus far. I have a feeling this is not going to work out, but at least I have gained some insightful information for those of you who may be contemplating such a shipment in the future. Prepare yourselves for some real frustration and disappointments. It will require the patience of Job!

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » June 1, 2016, 4:33 pm

The plane flying from BKK could also be shot down over the Alaskan coastline as well

Seems like you wont trust anyone no matter what,

Is it already valued ? take that to BKK with you, then show the repairer what it is etc, Im sure a new valuation post repairs from an independent provider will confirm there was no switch, 1155 is your favourite number.

You do trust the car service guys you use I presume ?, was the oil switched the same as what the empty container given back to you.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » June 1, 2016, 6:11 pm

wazza wrote:The plane flying from BKK could also be shot down over the Alaskan coastline as well

Seems like you wont trust anyone no matter what,

Is it already valued ? take that to BKK with you, then show the repairer what it is etc, Im sure a new valuation post repairs from an independent provider will confirm there was no switch, 1155 is your favourite number.

You do trust the car service guys you use I presume ?, was the oil switched the same as what the empty container given back to you.
Sorry Wazza, but there's not enough space on this forum to tell you the number of times I have been screwed in this country by unscrupulous employees/businesses in just the past 6 years. Like the contracted delivery guy who delivered a product I purchased online from Lazada and paid for with a credit card. When he delivered the 1000 baht item to my wife in my absence, he insisted that the item was not paid and wanted to collect COD. She paid him and then I found out about it and contacted Lazada right away, then Lazada got hold of the delivery guy. He called up my wife and begged her not to tell his boss what he did and he would return the cash to her. Then he had the audacity to ask her for a discount! This sort of thing is a weekly occurrence in my world.

So, no....there's not much that I trust when dealing with the locals...and I have caught them using a cheaper brand of oil after showing me the premium oil container. I once took my car to a car dealer for a tire rotation and marked the wheels to make sure they actually did the work. Sure enough, I caught them in a lie after the employee and the service manager insisted that they had done the rotation. They weren't happy when I showed them the markings. I also marked the oil filter, but they actually did change that. Always expect the unexpected in this country. If anything can go wrong it will! I'm actually not being cynical, I'm just not naïve enough to trust so easily when I've seen all the tricks they have up their sleeves.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”