Mushroom growing

General Udon Thani topics only!
Mex
udonmap.com

Re: Mushroom growing

Post by Mex » December 2, 2016, 7:11 am

I am trying to calculate how much I need for 1000 packets/bottles. TIA.

If it looks good..and smells good..go for it..

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » December 2, 2016, 8:13 am

I doubt you would use more than 1000 liters in a month

Mex
udonmap.com

Post by Mex » December 2, 2016, 6:02 pm

Thanks.

drippp

Post by drippp » December 4, 2016, 12:52 am

bumper wrote:We never got 70 baht a kilo, you can buy them in the market for less then that

Be very careful about what a Thai tells you they never really track costs.

You need water

If you have a nitch market outside of Udon, or you can raise in volumes enough to sale in Bangkok they will come and pick them up for you. You need a minimum of 50 Kilos daily for that, you will get more money that way.

With 12K packets we might hit 50 Kilos one time

I would say to you if you want something to keep you busy and learn something new its great.

If you want to make money you have to able to make the packets yourself and keep costs down, probably more money in making the packets then selling the product.

I had fun with it, good luck. But, I didn't make any money in the end.
Hi am thinking about trying to farm some mushrooms , and i am wondering about what you say here .
The 50kg you may hit from the 12k bags is this Hed nang fa ?
And also can you give us a tip on who the buyers are that would come collect mucshrooms. TelNo or name.. site any contact information would be super. Thanks in adv. Andy in Sisaket.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » December 4, 2016, 8:11 am

The buyers of the mushrooms are local people that sell at the different markets
We were getting 60 baht a kilo but it has dropped to 55 as the mushrooms are all working at this temp
this is our wholesale price

drippp

Post by drippp » December 5, 2016, 10:56 am

I was thinking to not step on any toes locally , thats why i would want an agent to pick up mushrooms and bring them to Bangkok or another big city. Because if i get it to work i want to expand and make the hobby into a business. So if anyone has a tip on how to get hold of an agent it would be happy hour for me .Cheers!!!

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » December 5, 2016, 2:57 pm

With the amount you will have with 1,000 packets I don't think you can produce enough to get an agent.

We were doing 5,000 and that wasn't enough to sale through an agent.

One thing I didn't try was having a bus driver sale in Bangkok for me. Woth a shot.

In my experience I used far to much water, generally kicking the dirt floor and a light mist would be plenty.

You also need to consider different types of mushrooms for the hot and cold season.
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » December 5, 2016, 5:43 pm

[email protected]

See if you can make contact with this guy all you will ever want to know about mushrooms and a nice guy as well.
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

drippp

Post by drippp » December 6, 2016, 11:46 am

Thank you bumper for all the advice in the thread.... i was thinking in the future of maybe building 5 farm houses with 8000 bags in each ... but thats after i know more about what i am doing of course. i am asking because i dont have a clue about where to start looking for an agent...

drippp

Post by drippp » December 6, 2016, 4:55 pm

superthanks !!!!

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » December 7, 2016, 1:47 pm

welcome

Mex
udonmap.com

Post by Mex » December 11, 2016, 5:43 am

bumper/noosard...I am getting conflicting "quotes" on the performance of the packets.

Nang fa - production ranging from 500 grams to 700 grams per packet.

What is your take on this?

One supplier of packets said he got 1.2 kg...lol.

TIA

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » December 11, 2016, 7:01 pm

It won't be consistent depends on who makes the packets. Only way and the least expensive way to do it is make your own packets. I think if you did a search here I had a thread going o it and what we were experiencing there is also one on t/V under farming. That is well worth checking out.

At one point we had 8k going don't think we hit those numbers on a daily basis. Unless you do the work yourself it's a thin profit margin and one heck of a lot of work.

I don't know what the going price is for packets now we paid 6 baht a packet and lost money.

But, we sold to cheap I believe.

That is an odd one you never want to look like your competing with Thai's. My wife liked the idea of the money. But, not the work or sales

You really don't need anything fancy to try it out on a 1 K.

That Email I gave you was for Col Packdee He speaks English you can trust what he says never once asked for money while I had contact with him. He lives close enough to sale to wholes sellers in Bangkok.

BABY STEPS ;)

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » December 11, 2016, 10:05 pm

BABY STEPS ;), best advice, get to grips of how it works first, one thing I was told is if it works well and you up production its quite common for your ' buyer' to suddenly want more discount as they know being a short life product you need to sell asap. had a mate who tried, his wife would take them to the market, then come home pissed every night with no money left, when the packets finally stopped producing she ordered more and then asked him to pay for them , he did and the cycle continued until they ran out again. at this point he just burnt the mushroom sheds down :lol: seriously funny, he really didn't have any luck, she grew rice giving the family wages for doing it, by the time the crop came in he had lost a fortune and said he might as well have just gone to Tesco, it would have been cheaper, and to top it off someone burnt the stubble in their field and it set fire to his eucalyptus trees destroying half of them. talk about bad luck
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » December 12, 2016, 1:23 pm

papafarang wrote:BABY STEPS ;), best advice, get to grips of how it works first, one thing I was told is if it works well and you up production its quite common for your ' buyer' to suddenly want more discount as they know being a short life product you need to sell asap. had a mate who tried, his wife would take them to the market, then come home pissed every night with no money left, when the packets finally stopped producing she ordered more and then asked him to pay for them , he did and the cycle continued until they ran out again. at this point he just burnt the mushroom sheds down :lol: seriously funny, he really didn't have any luck, she grew rice giving the family wages for doing it, by the time the crop came in he had lost a fortune and said he might as well have just gone to Tesco, it would have been cheaper, and to top it off someone burnt the stubble in their field and it set fire to his eucalyptus trees destroying half of them. talk about bad luck
Now there is the real answer I suggested baby steps to keep the losses down. Those who actually make money are those who make the packets for them selves and sales to others.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 17, 2022, 6:48 pm

Every year, for just a day or two, an old termite pile (2 feet tall) explodes with mushrooms. Thais call them little chicken termite mushrooms (เห็ดปลวกไก่น้อย). This was a banner year, and we'll probably get another tray of them tomorrow morning.
Attachments
20220517_183650.jpg

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”