Driving Conditions from Udon to BKK etc

General Udon Thani topics only!
wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » September 23, 2015, 12:07 pm

Having just driven to BKK and return over the last 4 days, I would offer the following observations

1 - road conditions are shocking , with unsealed surfaces , pot holes , everywhere,

2- lots of repairs and lanes reduced to 1 , causing significant delays

3 - took an extra 1.5 hours to get to BKK, during the week, leaving at 0700.

4- driving back from Khon Kaen to Udon , in the night - Pot holes and poor road surfaces, and any more than 80-90 kph could cause damage to your vehicle.

udonman
udonmap.com

Post by udonman » September 23, 2015, 12:29 pm

Thanks for that info. Going KK next week.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » September 23, 2015, 5:08 pm

wazza wrote:Having just driven to BKK and return over the last 4 days, I would offer the following observations

1 - road conditions are shocking , with unsealed surfaces , pot holes , everywhere,

4- driving back from Khon Kaen to Udon , in the night - Pot holes and poor road surfaces, and any more than 80-90 kph could cause damage to your vehicle.
Sure you weren't low flying again mr wazza :-k

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 23, 2015, 5:40 pm

Couldnt agree more Wazz ,,,, im still doing the Bkk run 2/3 times per month and at the moment as you say the roads (Highway 2 UD KK KORAT ) are terrible , add on heavy rain poor visability making things even worse... i am allowing an extra 2 hours on the trip .
The road repairs look like replacement concrete sections , inferior quality so it will all need doing again within a year ..but then again isnt that the idea !! to keep the wheels of industry " well oiled" and turning .

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » September 23, 2015, 7:17 pm

wazza wrote:Having just driven to BKK and return over the last 4 days, I would offer the following observations

This sounds exactly like central, northern and western Laos, in particular, in the hilly regions.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 23, 2015, 7:42 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote: This sounds exactly like central, northern and western Laos, in particular, in the hilly regions.
Uncle, we are all waiting to hear more about the furry regions of Laos. \:D/

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » September 23, 2015, 10:26 pm

Yes, well, I am a year older and it is taking me a lot longer than expected to get things down on paper. I will try to make a start on Sunday. 55+
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » September 23, 2015, 11:23 pm

I am wondering who really is still forced to drive from Udon to Bangkok and return.
We have gotten so many rather inexpensive flight connections now.
Those who need cargo moved: Aren't there no professional delivery services?
Under what circumstances could driving alone be still in any way efficient?

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 24, 2015, 8:24 am

coming back from a funeral on the Mekong yesterday I got to Udon about 17:30.. I had to take relatives back 30km south of Udon so came off the Ring Road onto Rte 2 and found traffic backed up nearly to the ring road from where they are doing road construction out past the Ford Dealer southbound lane.. It was nearly 45 minutes to go 3km since the road was closed down to one lane and because of the backup Thai drivers by the dozens were running down the left hand breakdown lane to by pass traffic.. Of course, that meant that 3km down the road where the breakdown land and left lane were closed they had to force their way back into the single right lane.. What a cluster!!! Add to it all the heavy rain and utter blackness and it was pretty bad.. Add to it all the Thais that have 60% tinting on their windows who can't see a thing and its that much worse...
Dave

bigsnake
udonmap.com

Post by bigsnake » September 24, 2015, 9:16 am

Road CONDITION are General POOR all over THAILAND<>BUT a HELLA lot better then in Laos<>Drive Safe<>Stay SAFE<>Nuff said.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 24, 2015, 1:14 pm

waanjai wrote:I am wondering who really is still forced to drive from Udon to Bangkok and return.
We have gotten so many rather inexpensive flight connections now.
Those who need cargo moved: Aren't there no professional delivery services?
Under what circumstances could driving alone be still in any way efficient?
I still do Bkk trips for several reasons .. the main ones are ....

Using our own vehicle and driving our self is by far the best most cost effective method of getting bulk multi collection point products from 4 locations in the capital and back up to and delivered throughout Isaan , i factor in deliveries en route which , all the trip costs me is time , fuel (3k) tolls and a hotel " one night in Bangkok " doesnt have to be dull. Multi drop offs on the return trip make the trips even more profitable ...rule one always make sure the truck is full to max.

Many logistics companies refuse to carry alcohol and finding a RELIABLE courier who is licensed to carry alcohol and alcohol related products with the correct insurance isnt easy also per unit / case / keg works out very expensive , then there is loss or damage and time factor and the product could be on the truck for days if next day delivery isnt paid extra for which makes it more expensive.

Within the Thai law of alcohol movements tax papers have to be collected signed in Bkk and moved with the goods preferably by myself and also i like to hold regular face to face meetings with the importers and business colleagues.

AND IT GETS ME AWAY FROM UDON FOR A FEW DAYS PER MONTH !! :D

As ever above only my opinion but after a few years moving products up to Isaan from Bkk this method works out great for our needs.

Back to the road networks in Thailand .. i find them in general to be very good ..alas it just seems at the moment the main route highway 2 Ud to Korat is undergoing a major face lift in many areas / sections which is a pain in the bottom , grin and bear it and just add a couple of extra hours on the trip . .. going over night encounters way less traffic but hazzardous due to poorly lit areas and other vehicles , crazy tour buses and the odd piss head on a motorbike .

waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » September 24, 2015, 11:08 pm

Thanks, understand now Your regular trips to Krungthep.

Would it only be your freedom to do what You want there - I do it based on flights. There are always new things to look at or to check-out in Bangkok. :D

Dingo
udonmap.com

Post by Dingo » November 16, 2015, 10:18 am

It's been a while since this post had the last comment, so I want to ask if anyone has been on that road from Udon - KK - Korat recently and how are the conditions now in both directions (down and back).
I need to ride (Big Bike) down to BKK in 2 weeks and trying to plan a route where it doesn't shake the crap out of my bike and my back!
Any replies with conditions, improvements, anticipation of completion of the major sections would be very much appreciated.
Drunk Monkey, you seem to do it each week, can you provide an update.

Thanks all for any input and replies,
Dingo

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 16, 2015, 11:16 am

Dingo wrote:It's been a while since this post had the last comment, so I want to ask if anyone has been on that road from Udon - KK - Korat recently and how are the conditions now in both directions (down and back).
I need to ride (Big Bike) down to BKK in 2 weeks and trying to plan a route where it doesn't shake the crap out of my bike and my back!
Any replies with conditions, improvements, anticipation of completion of the major sections would be very much appreciated.

Dingo
Indeed we are now doing Bkk road trips every 7-10 days or so

I can confirm IT AINT GOOD NEWS just arrived back and conditions on both the South and North bound are very bad , re surfacing in progress and dangerous unfinished sections poorly lit , over the past few months i have seen this get better as a section in completed then worse as another starts and the closer the works are to traffic signals junctions etc the hold up gets longer , long hold ups at certain times have meant im allowing an extra 2 hours for the Udon - Bkk run now 9 hours instead of the 7 prior to all the works .

Advice is simple just take it steady and choose your time/day to travel if possible

DM

reddevil
udonmap.com

Post by reddevil » November 16, 2015, 3:35 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
Dingo wrote:It's been a while since this post had the last comment, so I want to ask if anyone has been on that road from Udon - KK - Korat recently and how are the conditions now in both directions (down and back).

Dingo
Indeed we are now doing Bkk road trips every 7-10 days or so

I can confirm IT AINT GOOD NEWS just arrived back and conditions on both the South and North bound are very bad , re surfacing in progress and dangerous unfinished sections poorly lit , over the past few months i have seen this get better as a section in completed then worse as another starts and the closer the works are to traffic signals junctions etc the hold up gets longer , long hold ups at certain times have meant im allowing an extra 2 hours for the Udon - Bkk run now 9 hours instead of the 7 prior to all the works .

Advice is simple just take it steady and choose your time/day to travel if possible

DM
And take care with the sped cameras they are now in the 60 and 80 km limit sections of the road fine in the post 500 to 1000 bht ;)

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » November 16, 2015, 4:28 pm

Go the scenic route, ten days ago we rode to Kanchanaburi, took the 2 to Khon Khen, out on the bypass towards the airport then the 12 over the mountains, one of the best roads around then a left on the 21, we stopped at Lop Buri then Kanchanaburi the next day, good roads. We are going back down on about the 30th, you are welcome to join us, we do like to go quick, we sit on about 120 to 135, if that appeals.

Dingo
udonmap.com

Post by Dingo » November 17, 2015, 8:45 am

Thanks DM, reddevil and Coxo,
Appreciate the feedback even though it sounds like the same road I traveled a few months back!!! It is beyond my comprehension why they put bollards / cones up for 3 km stretches when they are actually only working on 4 - 500 mt sections??? IMO, do it in short sections, finish it (well until it turns crap again) and let the traffic flow. It wasn't good before but better than now.
Coxo, I will need to be down in BKK for bookings on the 3rd Dec, so may be a bit late to join your group????
I ride a HD Ultra Limited 103 cu inch, so that pace does not worry be in the least. What are you riding??
Haven't taken that route before but sounds like an interesting ride?

Thanks again guys
Dingo

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » November 17, 2015, 9:05 am

I'm on a FXDF and Mark is on a CVO Streetglide. Can recomend the 12 and 21, forget the 2.

thrilled
udonmap.com

Post by thrilled » November 19, 2015, 3:47 am

I know your all not happy about it now.You should have
Seen it in 1971.1 lane each way,and A lane in the middle
For passing.
I know you all don't want to hear about the past.
I believe I would fly instead of driving.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » November 19, 2015, 9:32 am

I’ll just relate that Udon FC had a game in Bangkok last Sunday evening (kick off 1800 hours), very close to Suvarnabhumi. Fans’ buses left at 0500 hours Sunday morning and arrived at – about half time! Oh my Buddah. I think my remaining hair would have fallen out. One fan reported back that there was a lot of traffic around Saraburi and rain in Bangkok slowed things down. In Thai fashion, I believe the buses stopped for fans to visit THAT Korat temple. I’d suggest the merit-making on this occasion failed to work. :roll:
Incidentally, it was suggested to me that after Khon Kaen, driving via Chaiyaphum might avoid some hassle around Korat?

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”