School Holidays

General Udon Thani topics only!
stattointhailand
udonmap.com

School Holidays

Post by stattointhailand » February 23, 2015, 9:04 am

Wife just got back from taking the little un to school with the news that after tomorrow they are on holiday for about 2 months .....now where did I put that Philosan :shock:

socksy
udonmap.com

School Holidays

Post by socksy » February 23, 2015, 9:16 am

stattointhailand wrote:Wife just got back from taking the little un to school with the news that after tomorrow they are on holiday for about 2 months .....now where did I put that Philosan :shock:
Same nonsense every end of term Statto. No future planning by the school's. They're about as much use as a Camel in an Igloo.
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

rct
udonmap.com

School Holidays

Post by rct » February 23, 2015, 9:48 am

Grin and bear it, no choice. I plan Christmas and summer break trips for the kids and book flights, always a bit comical trying to get dates far in advance, from the school office.

When might Thailand switch to have summer school break in June/July/August, I heard this was being pondered.

socksy
udonmap.com

School Holidays

Post by socksy » February 23, 2015, 10:12 am

rct wrote:Grin and bear it, no choice. I plan Christmas and summer break trips for the kids and book flights, always a bit comical trying to get dates far in advance, from the school office.

When might Thailand switch to have summer school break in June/July/August, I heard this was being pondered.
That would involve making a decision. Here they used to be indecisive but now they're not so sure.
Alba gu bràth

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

School Holidays

Post by stattointhailand » February 23, 2015, 10:20 am

That would involve forward planning, decision making and the ability to compromise ........... not going to happen is it :-$

parrot
udonmap.com

School Holidays

Post by parrot » February 23, 2015, 3:10 pm

I don't have kids in school......but am interested in the conversation (Thai culture/social values).

When you enroll a child in school in Udon, doesn't the school provide you with a schedule for the school year.....+- any snow days? Do schools really just suddenly and arbitrarily set a 'bit term' date?
I know Thais have a warped sense of time (When a Thai tells you an activity begins at 3.....but she really means 9AM....for example), but I find it interesting that school schedules are run so helter skelter.

Is it the same for all the local schools......St Mary's, Don Bosco, International School, etc? Like I said, just wondering for my own info.

socksy
udonmap.com

School Holidays

Post by socksy » February 23, 2015, 3:25 pm

My kid goes to St Mary's Parrot, and when she went to Marie Pritack it was exactly the same. They do not have set terms like western world schools. I have enquired for the last three to four years when the end of term is (my daughter was in 'kindergarten' last year and this is her last before she moves up). The common answer I get is "when the older children finish their exams". FFS they can't even schedule exam dates properly. What hope for the kids when the hierarchy at the school couldn't organise a the proverbial in a brewery. Absolutely useless and frustrating as hell especially for foreign parents especially I would suggest. :irked: #-o ](*,)
Alba gu bràth

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

School Holidays

Post by stattointhailand » February 23, 2015, 3:42 pm

Surely they must have to tell the staff more than a few days in advance ......... "oh by the way your on holiday for 7 or 8 weeks starting tomorrow"

parrot
udonmap.com

School Holidays

Post by parrot » February 23, 2015, 3:44 pm

socksy wrote:My kid goes to St Mary's Parrot, and when she went to Marie Pritack it was exactly the same. They do not have set terms like western world schools. I have enquired for the last three to four years when the end of term is (my daughter was in 'kindergarten' last year and this is her last before she moves up). The common answer I get is "when the older children finish their exams". FFS they can't even schedule exam dates properly. What hope for the kids when the hierarchy at the school couldn't organise a the proverbial in a brewery. Absolutely useless and frustrating as hell especially for foreign parents especially I would suggest. :irked: #-o ](*,)

It boggles the Western brain!

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

School Holidays

Post by Brian Davis » February 23, 2015, 4:01 pm

Holidays? I thought it was a permanent holiday?
At the start of every school year, I set out to keep a note of the occasions my niece, who we accommodate, is actually at school and in the classroom. Invariably, I just get bored and give up.
Recently we've had a Teachers' Sports Day, an Individual School Sports Days (2 or 3 days?), Tambon Sports Day (5 days), a Scouts Camp(which was actually one day with sleepover and two days off to recover!). Bizarrely, niece said she had to go to school on the Saturday "to work", but turned out this was really to prepare for the Scouts Day. Buddah days, VIP birthdays, meetings, days off because another year is doing tests...... It's crazy.
I really would like to know what time is actually spent in the classroom.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

School Holidays

Post by stattointhailand » February 23, 2015, 4:45 pm

"I really would like to know what time is actually spent in the classroom.

The hours designated for sleep, and the ones for the cartoons on TV =D>

noosard
udonmap.com

School Holidays

Post by noosard » February 23, 2015, 4:52 pm

Decided was not going to have the kids home for 10 or 11 weeks straight
so have enrolled them in summer school for 6 weeks ( so far)
cost is 900 bht a week per kid
starting 03-03-15

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

School Holidays

Post by Khun Paul » February 23, 2015, 4:58 pm

Quicki answer although that does not mean all the schools are the same, but O-net Exams which is the time P6 Move to M1 and M3 the children make a choice stay at a school of move to a tech College or stop education is about middle to end February. Some schools then schedule their own exams/tests after that so about the first week in march Schools shut, some operate summer camps for march and April then return to full time education between 1-15 Mayish. The october again a couple of weeks maybe a Christmas break, then we get to Feb again.
Clear no, well most schools schedule their opening and closing times based on the national exams and then add or subtract for their own test criteria .
As for teachers day Sports days and Bhudda days some are national Holidays others are written into the school year as a must do activity same as Scout camps.. Suffice to say the books provided are long enough to last the whole academic year between 8-10 chapters.
Hope that helps folks

socksy
udonmap.com

School Holidays

Post by socksy » February 23, 2015, 5:01 pm

Done that one noosard and all it is in fact is expensive(?) childminding or at least it was for junior. Watching DVD's at her teachers house and there for four hours a day with about six other kids all playing in the yard when not watching DVD's. A waste of money. Nice earner for the teacher for effectively doing Lauren Bacall.I see your point KP but still cannot get my head around the fact that in western society school holidays are still known in some cases two years in advance, but here when they are at least ten years behind logic then it seems more comprehendible. I'm sure if the schools announced it on facebook every focker in the country would know.
Alba gu bràth

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

School Holidays

Post by stattointhailand » February 23, 2015, 5:20 pm

"I'm sure if the schools announced it on facebook every focker in the country would know."

Can't do that socksy ...... people might start to know what they are doing ...... just think of the problems that would cause.

Clever b*ggers in the hotel trade would know when to put the room prices up .......
The airlines would be able to plan their "high season" fares in advance ........
shopkeepers and roadside sellers near the schools would be able to plan their stock so as they ran out just before the holidays started .....
Local amenities like swimming pools, zoos etc would be able to get extra staff to meet the planned extra demand

An outbreak of "organisation" would be sure to bring the whole country to its knees :-" =; [-X

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

School Holidays

Post by Khun Paul » February 23, 2015, 5:30 pm

I agree 100% it is the not knowing that is so damn frustrating, one knows they are having a holiday but actual dates etc are like the opening of Pandoras box, a dangerous thing to do . Thai teachers seem to be matter of fact about the whole thing, maybe they know or not I have no idea, but they seem quite laid back about the whole affair, I suspect that they know more than they are saying which is very little.

In fact you actually have to listen very carefully as tit-bits are spoken but if you do not hear it it is too late, like when restarting, no-one has told me but by listening in I think I know but it could change and probably will. All I know is this year I am making my once a decade trip to Blighty, returning at the start of May. That is a FACT, anything else is up in the air.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

School Holidays

Post by stattointhailand » February 23, 2015, 5:49 pm

Now you've done it KP .... Udonmap will be duty bound to pass this info on to Immigration at Swampy 8-[

socksy
udonmap.com

School Holidays

Post by socksy » February 23, 2015, 6:08 pm

Bloody hell Statts that means my cultural visits to the tourist attractions in Pattaya starting on Friday are going to be a rip off. Maybe I'll just take a good book. :-"
Alba gu bràth

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

School Holidays

Post by stattointhailand » February 23, 2015, 6:16 pm

I'm sure Uncle will give you the low down on all the best ?wats in and around Patters socksy :shock:

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

School Holidays

Post by merchant seaman » February 23, 2015, 6:21 pm

Will all the girls at the "Classroom" have the week off? Perhaps Socksy could tutor them.
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”