a decent spade

General Udon Thani topics only!
maaka
udonmap.com

a decent spade

Post by maaka » October 14, 2014, 9:05 pm

man, do you think I could find a decent heavy duty farang metal spade..nah..just some cream colored shovel that would bend with abit of a shove..tried to get an engineering crowd to make me one with a 6ft heavy pipe handle, ' no have pipe, but can make '..after being sent to all points of the compass looking for a shop with the right gav pipe, gave up...any ideas or will bring tools from home next time..

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

a decent spade

Post by stattointhailand » October 14, 2014, 9:22 pm

Gave up looking 8 years ago .... let me know if you ever find one or even a half decent one with the blade facing in the correct direction :evil: or a decent stainless steel fork (Spear & Jackson?)

pomps
udonmap.com

a decent spade

Post by pomps » October 15, 2014, 1:15 am

Strange this company has store locations predominently in Bangers,not many gardens there :-k ,should open a store in Isaan \:D/ ,many a farang given up with Homepro options. 8)
http://www.truevalue.co.th/product.php?id=99

udonman
udonmap.com

a decent spade

Post by udonman » October 15, 2014, 3:46 am

Been through all this years ago. Got a mate to bring a Wilkinson Stainless steel spade and fork over for me. I see all the Thais eyeing them up when I'm outside working.
Try ebay and see how much it will cost to have them shipped over. I recently got a Flymow shipped over and it wasn't that expensive. Took about 3 weeks to get to Thailand. postage was about £25.

maaka
udonmap.com

a decent spade

Post by maaka » October 15, 2014, 6:16 am

will let you know if I find anything.
we back home in the bush like to cut most of the handle off, then jam a good heavy 6ft pipe onto the bits thats left, weld them together, and man can you dig some deep holes and cut thru the clay because of the added weight of the pipe..

wasnt impressd by the flimsy tools i have come across so far...onward men

stereolab
udonmap.com

a decent spade

Post by stereolab » October 15, 2014, 9:14 am

udonman wrote:Been through all this years ago. Got a mate to bring a Wilkinson Stainless steel spade and fork over for me. I see all the Thais eyeing them up when I'm outside working.
Try ebay and see how much it will cost to have them shipped over. I recently got a Flymow shipped over and it wasn't that expensive. Took about 3 weeks to get to Thailand. postage was about £25.
I have had to get some locally made up tools, using CHS tube heavy duty welded on to the useful bit at the end, crazy situation really, but locals do not seem to be fazed by the poor quality of almost every item they use. And do'nt get me started on their usage of 7 bits of varying size of water hose, joined together with sticky tape, instead of the high quality hose I have provided them.

reddevil
udonmap.com

a decent spade

Post by reddevil » October 15, 2014, 10:23 am

Bought a decent spade and fork from home pro when they first opened and both are still going good, suppose Home pro still worth a look also try Tool pro.

Airportwo
udonmap.com

a decent spade

Post by Airportwo » October 15, 2014, 10:45 am

I bought both a spade and a fork from Toolpro very recently, about 700 Baht each if I remember correctly, so far they are holding up, the shovel is no lightweight though!

maaka
udonmap.com

a decent spade

Post by maaka » October 16, 2014, 6:37 am

Rodger that Fella...
if I am not laid up to long, will attempt a squizz at the above / below halls of trade.
never saw a wheelbarrow at global

JoeThrows
udonmap.com

Re: a decent spade

Post by JoeThrows » October 16, 2014, 9:21 am

I bought my shovel at home pro, around 600thb and I use it almost daily with no problems whatsoever after 1 year of use. Handle grip still in good shape and the blade has boot ridges on both sides of the shaft so I can jump up on it to try and bust through some of this rocky clay cement masquerading as dirt.

thaiguzzi
udonmap.com

a decent spade

Post by thaiguzzi » October 16, 2014, 10:22 am

As i've mentioned before, Toolpro are the Udon distributor for Cromwell Tools, the biggest engineering and tool suppliers in the UK, with an English manager running the main BKK depot. Ask Toolpro to look through their Cromwell tool catalogue, written in English with Thai Baht prices, order what is not in stock is about a week.

parrot
udonmap.com

a decent spade

Post by parrot » January 5, 2015, 6:30 pm

Sure enough.....Toolpro has both Rutland spades and pitchforks....look to be very high quality and very good reviews on the web. Price for the spade was 810 baht .......which appears to be very competitive with the same item in the UK.

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/RTL5224310K
Attachments
20150105_111310.jpg

jackspratt
udonmap.com

a decent spade

Post by jackspratt » January 5, 2015, 8:34 pm

maaka wrote:Rodger that Fella...
if I am not laid up to long, will attempt a squizz at the above / below halls of trade.
never saw a wheelbarrow at global
maaka ........ where are you? :-k

We need you to provide some sensible balance from your crazy Kuwu compatriot, 93. [-o<

rick
udonmap.com

a decent spade

Post by rick » January 6, 2015, 10:40 pm

loads of wheelbarrows at Global or any other big DIY warehouse - but usually outside, not inside .......

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”