Police active at old Tesco's crossroads

General Udon Thani topics only!
jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 23, 2014, 1:23 pm

I drove into Udon late last week, and because of the updates appearing on this thread, took notice of the current markings at that part of the intersection.

My clear memory is that while they have added a right turn arrow on the road, the overhead gantry still shows only 1 lane turning right, with a straight ahead arrow for the second lane ie a clear conflict. :-k

I may have been having a senior moment - but that is what I saw. :shock:

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » June 23, 2014, 5:51 pm

jackspratt wrote:.....
My clear memory is that while they have added a right turn arrow on the road, the overhead gantry still shows only 1 lane turning right, with a straight ahead arrow for the second lane ie a clear conflict. :-k ...
For what it's worth, I worry that I've got things correct first time, have imagined it and have to double-check. :lol:

What you say above is quite correct. BUT, and I only looked for it because my neighbor mentioned it, there is a NEWISH, not too big, additional (white?) sign on the gantry indicating the allowed directions of traffic from lanes. This clearly shows a right turn from the second lane is permissible. From now on, if any police pull me over telling me I didn't follow the straight-ahead only traffic light arrow for that lane, they've got a hell of an argument on their hands. :evil:

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » June 23, 2014, 6:00 pm

Let us not forget they were ordered to get busy, that is when the boots ect. came out.

I don't normally turn right there, now I'm curious. So now I will take a look when I get a chance.
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » June 23, 2014, 7:02 pm

About 2 months ago I turned right to go down to Tesco which I have done one quite a few occasions but when I got around the corner pull over 200b donation no receipt they were telling me that you can not turn right from the middle lane the arrow in the middle lane indicated that you could???????????? one law for the Police none for Thai' or farlangs last monday that all changed again they have repainted all of the black top with white and if you look above on the traffic light indicators it is the same will I get a refund because I was right I doubt it maybe they should let the Military show them what is right from wrong???????????????

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 23, 2014, 7:07 pm

When I am in the proper turn lane waiting in a long line and sometimes having to wait several times for the light change, it really irritates me to see all the line jumpers turning right from the straight ahead lane. Even worse than that, is wanting to go straight and not being able to because of the line jumpers jamming up the straight lane. If you get fined for being one of the people doing this, I have no sympathy for you.

My gratitude to the police.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » June 23, 2014, 7:22 pm

Even worse than that, is wanting to go straight and not being able to because of the line jumpers jamming up the straight lane. If you get fined for being one of the people doing this, I have no sympathy for you.

You stated you always stay in the correct lane which.
I use that intersection nearly every day & have never been held up by someone turning right in the center lane. This is because you have 2 lanes turning right onto a 3 lane highway. If you want to count the filter lane from the left you have 4 lanes. Look at previous posts & see you can now use the 2 right hand lane to turn right which is common sense.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » June 23, 2014, 8:05 pm

I realize I've flogged this topic,but don't know if you've followed the complete story, glalt. It's more complicated than e.g.a U-turn situation where there's only one line for turning and, yes I agree with you, I get frustrated when in the queue and someone comes on the inside and swings around in front of everyone. One of my earlier posts covers my thoughts on the traffic flow at this junction. And I can certainly think of two other similar junctions on the ring road where there are two OFFICIAL lanes turning right. My main point here is that the police have grasped the chance to fine drivers in what might be viewed an 'unclear' situation. Now, with the change in road marking, which they probably knew was coming and the erection of the new sign on the gantry, they've endorsed the very thing they presumably would have argued before was 'problematical' or 'unsafe' (which it never was) and racked in many thousands baht. A different, helpful approach, if the Police really felt it was a genuine problem, might have been to erect additional warning signs about lane use and that a crackdown was coming. Dream on. Don't miss a chance to rake in some money.

There have been a couple of occasions when I've been grateful for police involvement. A couple of occasions when I've been correctly fined. But unfortunately, the positive or fair action has been countered several times by attempts to rip me off.

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » June 23, 2014, 8:32 pm

The middle lane was always marked with a right turn arrow but not highly visible probably was 10 years ago but only re-painted last Monday morning as far as I could see there was no danger to any one turning right as there are two lanes to turn into will THEY REFUND ALL OF THE MONEY THAT THEY HAVE EITHER ILLEGALLY OR CORRUPTLY COLLECTED???????????

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » June 24, 2014, 8:04 am

You know Brian just a thought. Not much is going to change here. Have you thought about taking some photos of the intersection and signage. Take it to the Udon Chief explain to him your thoughts to him then abide by his decision.

The other alternative ask to go to Court. But,m be prepared to spend some fine and post the bail should be about the same amount as the fine and more then likely require a trip to the station.

Either way be prepared to bring photos and charts explaining the problem.

These guys were told to get busy and would seem they did.

The other alternative is make the turn from where you were told to make it, Then let it go, cause you won't change anything on here.

What was the fine 200 or 400 baht. You actually only paid the money once, how many times have you paid it in your mind now?

I think the comments about the cops making money has been beaten to death, we all know they get money from tickets. All of us were ticked off because they were not enforcing laws, now it appears that some of us are ticked off because they are.

I got a ticket for running a red light there long ago. I couldn't see the light a truck to my left was blocking my view sun in my eyes. Now I can think of all kind of reasons to be unhappy about it. But, the the fact is I ran the Red Light, I paid the fine.

I hope I don't sound like I'm attacking you I'm not. Just seems like something very minor to beat yourself over.

I would remind you that cops the world over take the easy road when they can. It' just human nature. In the states we called them apple orchards and we didn't get money from the tickets. But, we did the get the Sgt off our backs about writing them. I'm sure I pissed some people off. That goes with the territory anywhere.

Good luck hope things go better for you.
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » June 24, 2014, 8:21 am

This is off topic. But, it makes a point they told the cops to get busy and they meant it. It's going to be easy to get caught up in this for me more likely speed and riding in the wrong lane with the bike. But. I know and if I get caught up in this shame on me.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/4 ... goes-viral

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » June 24, 2014, 10:41 am

bumper wrote:You know Brian just a thought. Not much is going to change here. ..........Good luck hope things go better for you.
Thanks for the support bumper. You make me sound like a Man U fan, last season. 8-[ :D . But I'm not losing any sleep over the matter, or likely to end up in a psychiatric ward. :lol:
I opened the topic partly in the hope of seeking clarity, opinion and preventing others getting 'stung', albeit individually for a small amount. But it will be obvious to all that I don't like corruption, being 'had' and make a stand, even as a guest in the country, in a small way if I can by saying no, although a lot of this country's problems seems to be down to people just accepting/expecting it (corruption) as the norm. Anti-corruption is the current buzz word, but for things to really be different, one has to try and change the mindset of the whole nation! I'm not hopeful.

"All of us were ticked off because they were not enforcing laws, now it appears some of us are ticked off because they are." I have absolutely no problem with laws being enforced - as long as they're fair, clear and consistent.

"But the fact is I ran the red light. I paid the fine". Same with me other week near Ngee Soon. I knew I could have stopped, didn't and paid up. Fair cop!

I haven't 'lost it completely' that I'd go to court for a miserable 200 baht. Most unlikely, I would have thought, the police will be there (for that reason) again, because the new gantry sign indicates one can turn right from that second lane. But yes, try it again and I would be down to the boss, clutching my copy of the Thai Highway Code.

Incidentally, I have marched into the office of a Senior Immigration Officer's before. My 700 baht payment for what is a free service got refunded, but in spite of all the good things this guy said, the 'perks' still go on there.

I think I'm correct in believing you're a Mod, Bumper. If I've bored the pants off everybody, please feel free to lock the topic.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » June 24, 2014, 10:57 am

Brian

its not boring to read this topic. i agree with ur stance and as.many believe its going to take an evolution not a revolutuon to stop these small but ongoing fines. Whilst the % of the fines is directlly paid to levels of authority and not jyst consolidated revenue it willprovide incentives to create more fines.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » June 24, 2014, 11:23 am

I'M no MOD they would have to be crazier then me for that That would not be easy.

You made people aware and that is a good thing.

Here is how understand the ticket works 50% to the cops and the balance to the Government, if a ticket is issued if not. Then your paying Tea Money.

Ive often wondered how that 50% is distributed amongst the cops. Does the entire station get a portion or does it go the the cops on the detail.

That is assuming that I'm right about the split.

If it only goes to the detail bet lots of cops would like to get on that team :lol:

If anyone knows I'm wrong please correct me?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 26, 2014, 8:52 pm

It's probably done by seniority bumper .... you know, the way that the rich get richer and the rest .........

On a "tesco's crossroads theme" so nearly on topic, but as yet no police involvement, has anyone noticed that ever since the change to having TWO lanes to turn right, the ingenious Thais have now introduced another refinement.
Almost every evening now I see cars/pick ups etc doing what use to be done solely by songthaws, that is going along the left turn lane beyond all the traffic waiting to go straight on and then pushing into the line as soon as the lights change (at least 6 or 7 vehicles on Tuesday night). It is of course made easier to do as the first lane can easily move over to take the place of traffic that has turned right.

bigsnake
udonmap.com

Post by bigsnake » November 27, 2014, 9:39 am

Yep, they do their thing there, then jump on their motorbikes no helmet and go to lunch,.talk about ABOVE the LAW!

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”