Opening a bank account

General Udon Thani topics only!
boes
udonmap.com

Opening a bank account

Post by boes » February 10, 2014, 2:21 pm

Can i open a bank account in UT with a 1 year non imm marriage visa without a WP ? Which bank(s)

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Opening a bank account

Post by mortiboy » February 10, 2014, 2:34 pm

This is what I want know!
My friend just arrived here from Australia.
Went to 4 banks.All refused him an account.
He was told all banks same not give.
He Has a retire Visa.But not married.
Seems need to be married to To Thai to obtain a bank account Thailand
Mai mee tahng !

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Opening a bank account

Post by jackspratt » February 10, 2014, 2:40 pm

Kasikorn Bank seems to be the easiest - try them first.

If no luck, try the next bank along the street, and keep trying till you find one - which you will.

I opened my Kasikorn account with a 12 month visa, no WP, and was not yet married.

parrot
udonmap.com

Opening a bank account

Post by parrot » February 10, 2014, 2:46 pm

Not married = no bank account.....that's news to me. I've opened solo accounts in Bangkok Bank, Siam Commercial Bank, and Kasikorn over the past few years without the wife in tow. In all those cases, I've not had to show my visa......just a wallet copy of my passport photo page and I give my driver's license for ID.
It's possible that things have recently changed, but I haven't read of such problems on other Thai forums.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Opening a bank account

Post by BobHelm » February 10, 2014, 2:53 pm

3 years ago wandered into Kasikorn in the (then) Complex.
Wandered out 30 minutes later with account (including e-banking) & ATM card.
No partner just a multi entry Non O & a rental contract...

Although I did see suggestions about 12 months ago that it had become more difficult with some banks.
That was as a result of the USA placing Thailand high on their money laundering list...

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Opening a bank account

Post by mortiboy » February 10, 2014, 6:39 pm

Just searched internet here ..........

One of the frustrations expats and other foreigners experience in Thailand is opening a bank account. Before the Thai government changed the rules, it used to be easy to open a bank account in Thailand. Now, it's a bit more difficult and practically impossible, if you don't have a work permit. When I first came to Thailand five years ago, you could just walk into any Thai bank and open an account, but now, the paperwork and the frustrations have increased. Follow these few simple tips though, and opening a bank account in Thailand shouldn't be too difficult.
1. You must have a work permit to open a bank account in Thailand - Up until about a year ago, pretty much anyone with money could open a bank account at most banks without a work permit. Since the Thai government clamped down on the laws for foreigners staying and working in Thailand, this has become more difficult. If you shop around at many different banks, you may find you can open an account at a Thai bank without a work permit, but it's highly unlikely. I've checked at Bangkok Bank, Siam Commercial Bank, Thai Farmers Bank and Krung Thai bank (four of the main banks here) and they all told me a work permit was required before opening a bank account with them. If you have a work permit, though, follow the next few steps and you'll have a bank account in Thailand in no time.

I did read somewhere ()Cant locate it) that this is a new ruling for 2014.
Work permit, or married to Thai :roll:
Mai mee tahng !

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Opening a bank account

Post by FrazeeDK » February 10, 2014, 6:46 pm

interesting.. I wonder if they'll be reviewing the accounts of those done on O-A visas previously or if they're all automatically grandfathered...
Dave

plumbers
udonmap.com

Opening a bank account

Post by plumbers » February 10, 2014, 7:00 pm

I opened a Bank account with Bangkok bank so i could transfer funds from my bank in the UK to Bangkok bank London
Then to Bangkok bank Udon.
Never had a problem less than a year ago , just checked on line still not a problem with Bangkok bank passport place of stay and away you go .
If you have a work permit then you can access more accounts and i suppose more interest , so i cannot see what the problem is .

parrot
udonmap.com

Opening a bank account

Post by parrot » February 10, 2014, 7:25 pm

That would mean that a retiree who wanted to pluck 800k into a retiree account would have to have his wife accompany him to open the single-ownership account. Surely someone must have some current (past 2-3 months) experience with this.

Over the years, you occasionally read of the person who is unable to open an account.....visa or no visa....married or not. But that hasn't been the case for the vast majority of folks. It's possible rules have recently changed.........but I'm not banking on it until more 'personal experience' weighs in.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Opening a bank account

Post by jackspratt » February 10, 2014, 7:47 pm

mortiboy wrote:Just searched internet here ..........

One of the frustrations expats and other foreigners experience in Thailand is opening a bank account. Before the Thai government changed the rules, it used to be easy to open a bank account in Thailand. Now, it's a bit more difficult and practically impossible, if you don't have a work permit. When I first came to Thailand five years ago, you could just walk into any Thai bank and open an account, but now, the paperwork and the frustrations have increased. Follow these few simple tips though, and opening a bank account in Thailand shouldn't be too difficult.
1. You must have a work permit to open a bank account in Thailand - Up until about a year ago, pretty much anyone with money could open a bank account at most banks without a work permit. Since the Thai government clamped down on the laws for foreigners staying and working in Thailand, this has become more difficult. If you shop around at many different banks, you may find you can open an account at a Thai bank without a work permit, but it's highly unlikely. I've checked at Bangkok Bank, Siam Commercial Bank, Thai Farmers Bank and Krung Thai bank (four of the main banks here) and they all told me a work permit was required before opening a bank account with them. If you have a work permit, though, follow the next few steps and you'll have a bank account in Thailand in no time.

Oh dear, morti - the information you quote is from December 2008.

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-open-bank-a ... 41369.html

Please keep up at the back. \:D/

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Opening a bank account

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » February 10, 2014, 8:00 pm

I have opened bank accounts in Thailand at the Siam Commercial Bank in both Udonthani and Muang Kao (Old Sukhothai) with just my passport and identification brought by an unmarried Thai female friend. It was not difficult to do at all.

At the time I was a visitor staying for 30 days.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Opening a bank account

Post by mortiboy » February 10, 2014, 8:18 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:I have opened bank accounts in Thailand at the Siam Commercial Bank in both Udonthani and Muang Kao (Old Sukhothai) with just my passport and identification brought by an unmarried Thai female friend. It was not difficult to do at all.

How long ago? We are talking at present time.
No same me! I have three bank accounts.
But was married
Must be something in it for This guy to try 4 banks, and all tell him all the banks same same
Also, he has big money to deposit!
Mai mee tahng !

Balthasar G.
udonmap.com

Opening a bank account

Post by Balthasar G. » February 10, 2014, 9:22 pm

Three of my friends have recently opened bank accounts with Kasikorn, SCB and Bangkok Bank.
None of them is married.
With Kasikorn and SCB it was all smooth sailing.
The friend who insisted on opening an account with Bangkok Bank, got refused in the UD branch (perhaps because the clerk's English was very poor?) so we went to the Central branch where the account was opened without a hitch.
SCB and Bangkok Bank did require a Non-O visa.
I hope I die in my sleep like my grand dad did, not screaming like his passengers

Balthasar G.
udonmap.com

Opening a bank account

Post by Balthasar G. » February 10, 2014, 10:30 pm

^Correction: They didn't specifically ask for a Non-Immigrant O visa (but that's the visa that my friends have).
I hope I die in my sleep like my grand dad did, not screaming like his passengers

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Opening a bank account

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » February 10, 2014, 11:08 pm

mortiboy wrote:
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:I have opened bank accounts in Thailand at the Siam Commercial Bank in both Udonthani and Muang Kao (Old Sukhothai) with just my passport and identification brought by an unmarried Thai female friend. It was not difficult to do at all.

How long ago? We are talking at present time.
No same me! I have three bank accounts.
But was married
Must be something in it for This guy to try 4 banks, and all tell him all the banks same same
Also, he has big money to deposit!

I opened the Siam Commercial account in Udonthani in 2006. The Siam Commercial account in Old Sukhothai was opened in August, 2012.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

pal52
udonmap.com

Opening a bank account

Post by pal52 » February 11, 2014, 6:34 am

I opened a bank account in the Siam Commercial bank in Central Plaza in 2012 after I got my retirement visa. I do not have a Thai wife & explained to them I needed a bank account to transfer funds into from my overseas bank account for living expenses.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Opening a bank account

Post by pf-flyer » February 11, 2014, 8:24 am

Several months ago My wife and I tried to open an additional account for personal reasons at the SCB at the Old Big C. Answer was " New rule. Can not issue accounts to farangs." My wife answered but my husbands name is all-ready on an account in this bank. The response was still no can do. We left and went to SCB the branch on Prajak road. We walked in and told the clerk what we want to do and the answer was. " Sure...We can set up another account for you, no problem ".. 15 minutes or so later we walked out with the account that we asked for at the old Big C branch...My wife and I have no idea why the first SCB branch refused to give us another account....One of the things that I remind myself since moving to Thailand is to be respectful and polite but to be persistent and not to dwell on the inconsistencies that are encountered.
My old boss used to tell me "Do not take it personally... Just learn how to deal with it "
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Opening a bank account

Post by mortiboy » February 11, 2014, 8:48 am

plumbers wrote:I opened a Bank account with Bangkok bank so i could transfer funds from my bank in the UK to Bangkok bank London
Then to Bangkok bank Udon.
Never had a problem less than a year ago , just checked on line still not a problem with Bangkok bank passport place of stay and away you go .
If you have a work permit then you can access more accounts and i suppose more interest , so i cannot see what the problem is .
I also opened a Bangkok bank account also. last month(I am married) Pension sent every month. No problem.
But so far all these posts concerning open a bank account have not been within this year.
Sooner or later,a member will attempt to.
Then we'll see the outcome ;)
Mai mee tahng !

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Opening a bank account

Post by mortiboy » February 11, 2014, 8:50 am

jackspratt wrote:
mortiboy wrote:Just searched internet here ..........

Oh dear, morti - the information you quote is from December 2008.

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-open-bank-a ... 41369.html

Please keep up at the back. \:D/
Exactly Dear! :roll: NOW rules changed!
Mai mee tahng !

kruklanki
udonmap.com

Opening a bank account

Post by kruklanki » February 13, 2014, 6:48 pm

I've opened two non interest bearing accounts. One at Siam and the other at Ayudhya banks.
I've also opened an interest bearing account at Bangkok bank. All were on a tourist visa and I wasn't asked any questions.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”