Thai Merchant goes above and beyond

General Udon Thani topics only!
WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » August 15, 2013, 5:05 pm

There is a lady in Udon who does embroidery that I've used for many years now. Much of the work she has done for me has been shipped to the US to friends and associates. She does excellent work. Does many things for the local schools, military and the police.

She was working on some pieces for me that were scheduled to be completed on Monday, but due to that being Mother's Day and her being out of town, she emailed me last Friday to let me know that they wouldn't be ready until today -- Thursday.

She recently moved her shop into her home, and I went there today around 2pm to get my order. She wasn't home. I called her. She said she wouldn't be back until later this evening and asked if I could come back at 5pm. I told her that I would just return on Friday.

To my surprise, she arrived at my home at 4pm with the pieces that I had ordered. The lady absolutely went above and beyond. I appreciate her thoughtfulness and customer service very much.

It's just another in a long line of positive experiences that I have had in Thailand over eight years -- and counting.

“In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.” - Mark Twain

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » August 15, 2013, 5:12 pm

Great experience. It is nice to hear about positive interactions with Thais, which is a nice contrast to the flood of negative comments by some posters.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » August 15, 2013, 5:13 pm

That's handy, in future tell her to deliver to your place as it saves all the fuss.

OT............... \:D/

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » August 15, 2013, 5:18 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:Great experience. It is nice to hear about positive interactions with Thais, which is a nice contrast to the flood of negative comments by some posters.
ditto
Watch Me!!

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » August 15, 2013, 5:20 pm

Was payment made on delivery, or was she paid in advance? Can make a difference even in our home countries.
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » August 15, 2013, 5:21 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:Great experience. It is nice to hear about positive interactions with Thais, which is a nice contrast to the flood of negative comments by some posters.
Yes, I often wonder why the vast majority of my experiences -- probably exceeding 95% -- are so positive in the same venues where so many expats complain of problems that range from communication issues to being "falanged" in price to lack of effort or uncaring attitudes.

I suppose I am extremely lucky, but with all that good luck, I should have won the lottery by now.
\:D/
“In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.” - Mark Twain

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » August 15, 2013, 5:23 pm

merchant seaman wrote:Was payment made on delivery, or was she paid in advance? Can make a difference even in our home countries.
I have always paid her in advance despite her only requesting half of the total price up front.

Same was true this time. She got all her money in advance. She didn't have to do a thing. Like clockwork, I would have been at her doorstep tomorrow.

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » August 15, 2013, 5:24 pm

WBU ALUM wrote:It's just another in a long line of positive experiences that I have had in Thailand.

The "long line of positive experiences" start in Pattaya for most of us. If you know what I mean.

OT........... \:D/

Harpo
udonmap.com

Post by Harpo » August 17, 2013, 9:35 am

WBU ALUM wrote:[colour=#000066]
To my surprise, she arrived at my home at 4pm with the pieces that I had ordered. The lady absolutely went above and beyond. I appreciate her thoughtfulness and customer service very much.

It's just another in a long line of positive experiences that I have had in Thailand over eight years -- and counting.[/color]
Brilliant post WBU

I too also have had positive experiences during my 6 year association with the Thai people. Thanks for the telling of your tale with the nice lady. So my interpretation to your tale is this, give respect receive respect, same any where I guess. =D> =D> =D>

Nice to see a positive post WBU, as there is for my way of thinking too many negative posters out there in forumite land, with little to do, and all day to do it in.....very depressing poor souls, must of had a sh*t life back in the Old county :( :( :( :......WBU, he gets the first prize....no second prizes excepted .....cheers harpo
Great Southern Land

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » August 17, 2013, 12:11 pm

Well, it goes further, Harpo.

Yesterday, I found out that she was not at her new home/shop when I went because her father had passed away. She brought my things to me because I was not angry and just told her I would come back the next day.

So you are absolutely correct, Harpo:

give respect receive respect
Had I lost my cool over such things for which there was little importance and no deadline, I would have felt terrible for being angry with her and finding out later that her father had passed away.

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » August 17, 2013, 12:34 pm

Earlier this week the owner of Beyond Cafe was at our door when we opened holding a couple of their nice pastries. She said it was for someone she knew to be a regular customer of ours. It turns out someone had complained about an identical item that had been made by a new worker who had possibly left out one or more ingredients, making the dessert slightly bitter. The owner then reviewed in store video to see who else had purchased that item on that day. She was able to identify our customer (and their customer also) and asked if we could please give the two replacements to him.

This kind of "above and beyond" (no pun intended) is commendable.
Every day I wake up is a good day.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 17, 2013, 3:52 pm

Beyond cafe desserts are beyond description....well, lets just say they're delectable!

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » August 17, 2013, 5:27 pm

The remarkable thing is that I see stories on many forums daily about bad experiences, and had I not come here to see for myself 8 long years ago, I would have probably never set foot in Thailand based on what I read.

Assimilation is about adapting no matter where one chooses to live. Those unwilling to adapt will never assimilate and will probably be on a path to unhappiness for a long time.

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » October 5, 2013, 6:35 pm

parrot wrote:Beyond cafe desserts are beyond description....well, lets just say they're delectable!
I'm starting to wish they weren't so close :shock:
crepe.jpg
My wife is locked into one of their "tractor beams" each evening (like used on the Starship Enterprise).
Every day I wake up is a good day.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”