Know a Western-Trained Dentist?

General Udon Thani topics only!
milkman
udonmap.com

Post by milkman » July 9, 2013, 5:07 pm

Lads, I broke a tooth and need a cap. Does anybody know of a Western-trained dentist who you've had a good experience with or heard good things about from a mate? If so, please PM me. Thanks! Milkman :-D

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 9, 2013, 6:17 pm

I'd had that type of work done at Udon Dental clinic....Dr Wongchan was trained in the US (Michigan, I think)

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » July 9, 2013, 7:46 pm

My dentist in the Clock Circle has done crowns for me before. No idea if he's trained in the west, though.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » July 9, 2013, 9:50 pm

I second Parrot. She did a couple of implants for me as well. My wfie just had a crown done there and all went great. One thing to note about crowns here. Porcelin crowns come in diferent versions. Glossy porcelain on the front only, front & back, silver on back porcelain front. She speaks excellent english.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » July 9, 2013, 10:32 pm

fdimike wrote:I second Parrot. She did a couple of implants for me as well. My wfie just had a crown done there and all went great. One thing to note about crowns here. Porcelin crowns come in diferent versions. Glossy porcelain on the front only, front & back, silver on back porcelain front. She speaks excellent english.
The sad part is the dentists are making a killing off this crown business. They love to do the top down selling technique on you and give you the good, better and best pitch and hope you'll go for the mid to upper range price. The truth is these crowns cost them next to nothing. A few years back I had a good friend in the Philippines who owned a factory that produced these crowns and shipped them all over the world by express mail. He used to laugh his head off at how the public was being scammed. Cost to manufacture averaged US$10 for a custom ordered crown. They've got us over a barrel guys and there's nothing we can do but grin and bear it while we take it up the wazoo! :badteeth: :confused: :oops: :mrgreen:
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » July 10, 2013, 6:52 am

semperfiguy wrote: by semperfiguy » July 9, 2013, 10:32 pm

fdimike wrote:
I second Parrot. She did a couple of implants for me as well. My wfie just had a crown done there and all went great. One thing to note about crowns here. Porcelin crowns come in diferent versions. Glossy porcelain on the front only, front & back, silver on back porcelain front. She speaks excellent english.

The sad part is the dentists are making a killing off this crown business. They love to do the top down selling technique on you and give you the good, better and best pitch and hope you'll go for the mid to upper range price. The truth is these crowns cost them next to nothing. A few years back I had a good friend in the Philippines who owned a factory that produced these crowns and shipped them all over the world by express mail. He used to laugh his head off at how the public was being scammed. Cost to manufacture averaged US$10 for a custom ordered crown. They've got us over a barrel guys and there's nothing we can do but grin and bear it while we take it up the wazoo!
One good thing about Thailand is the dentists are good and crowns are about one twentieth of the cost in Australia.

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » July 10, 2013, 9:15 am

coxo wrote:One good thing about Thailand is the dentists are good and crowns are about one twentieth of the cost in Australia.
That's been my experience, too. No complaints.
“In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.” - Mark Twain

wiking
udonmap.com

Post by wiking » July 10, 2013, 10:20 am

we are many who have it done by Oral-B - close to prajak roundabout

2 or 3 off the dentist have been in outside but the dentist who dosnt have, is very great too

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » July 10, 2013, 10:32 am

I think if we start worrying about what some manufacturer's cost for making a product we buy is when we all need to go on OCD meds. The guys of "Duck Dynasty" have made a gazillion dollars for selling a piece of bamboo with a vibrating reed, in dozens of varieties, that sell between 20 and ONE HUNDRED EIGHTY DOLLARS! Probably cost them all of 2 bucks to make. You ever figure what a bottle of Perrier cost to make??? It's called marketing, and capitalism.

The problem I have found with doctors AND dentists I've encountered here is that they are not forthcoming in explaining a plan of action for your condition. Maybe it's the language barrier, maybe it's a cultural thing (you're not supposed to question their authority). I've got some real problems with a couple teeth. I've been to 3 different dentists, including the one across from the bus station, who came highly recommended. One problem tooth was pulled a year ago and they all are eager to yank out a couple more, but as yet I've not had one tell me what they can do to replace them. The two dentists I've seen AFTER the extraction have not volunteered to fill the empty place with any sort of implant, bridge, or plate. I've NOT been to the clinic in the earlier post. I admit my own fobia of dentists only contributes to the problem, but American dentists are sensitive to these issues and act accordingly, i.e. nitrous gas, to my knowledge not available here. Maybe I'll muster my courage (or conditions will demand) and I'll try the clinic on Srisuk rd.
Every day I wake up is a good day.

udonmarc
Admin

Post by udonmarc » July 10, 2013, 10:34 am

Hi, Milkman, UM has a dentist sponsor, Ratchanai Dental Clinic. They have offices at the Clock Tower Circle and in Central Plaza. A member of my staff has met Dr. Ratchanai and says that he is a nice man. No idea on his skills, though, and I believe that he has a number of dentists working for him. Interestingly, when I searched for local dentists in Google, it came up with Aek Udon. So when I went to the provided link, it says "Dentists in Udon Thani" at the top, then "Aek Udon Hospital" then the Aek Udon "Skin and Beauty Center" where the following services were touted: microderm abrasion, plastic surgery and laser treatment for wrinkles and skin discoloration. Perhaps their webmaster indicated an incorrect link. :-s

Back to the dentists,.... My father is a (now retired) dentist, so I'm pretty selective about dentists, having only had two regular dentists in my life, my father and the woman who bought his practice when he retired. On the couple of occasions when I've had dental problems in Thailand, I've gone to the Dental Hospital on Suk Soi 49 in Bangkok. http://www.dentalhospitalbangkok.com/. IMO they're highly skilled, speak English well and are American trained, FWIW.

Good luck, -- I hate dental pain.

udonmarc
Admin

Post by udonmarc » July 10, 2013, 10:35 am

wiking wrote:we are many who have it done by Oral-B....
The toothbrush manufacturer??

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » July 10, 2013, 11:21 am

BigBubba wrote:I think if we start worrying about what some manufacturer's cost for making a product we buy is when we all need to go on OCD meds. The guys of "Duck Dynasty" have made a gazillion dollars for selling a piece of bamboo with a vibrating reed, in dozens of varieties, that sell between 20 and ONE HUNDRED EIGHTY DOLLARS! Probably cost them all of 2 bucks to make. You ever figure what a bottle of Perrier cost to make??? It's called marketing, and capitalism.
Point well taken BigBubba, but I'm not sure we're comparing apples to apples here. We can choose not to buy a Duck Dynasty vibrating reed, and we can choose to buy a 5 baht bottled water over the Perrier brand. The big difference here is when you want to see a dentist the prices for crowns are pretty much set within the industry in each country and they've got you by the short hairs. It's called monopolizing the marketplace and there's not a thing we can do about it. One of these days government is going to have to regulate the health care and dental industries and require them to post prices and give firm estimates in order to stimulate free market competition. Then and only them will the outrageous prices begin to come down. Mind you I'm ranting more about prices in the US, but while Thailand is much cheaper it's all relative because they still have you over a barrel. When one is in pain and needs dental work or care in the hospital, they know that in most cases the patient is not going to be shopping around. However, having said that...I accept it...that's the way the cookie crumbles...but that doesn't mean I have to like it!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » July 10, 2013, 12:06 pm

semperfiguy wrote:... The big difference here is when you want to see a dentist the prices for crowns are pretty much set within the industry in each country and they've got you by the short hairs. It's called monopolizing the marketplace and there's not a thing we can do about it. One of these days government is going to have to regulate the health care and dental industries and require them to post prices and give firm estimates in order to stimulate free market competition. Then and only them will the outrageous prices begin to come down...
Sounds like a good argument for ObamaCare! :confused:
Every day I wake up is a good day.

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » July 10, 2013, 12:26 pm

Dr. HFH wrote:Hi, Milkman, UM has a dentist sponsor, Ratchanai Dental Clinic. They have offices at the Clock Tower Circle and in Central Plaza. A member of my staff has met Dr. Ratchanai and says that he is a nice man.
My dentist for years here. Even takes appointments. 8)
“In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.” - Mark Twain

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » July 10, 2013, 12:54 pm

BigBubba wrote:
semperfiguy wrote:... The big difference here is when you want to see a dentist the prices for crowns are pretty much set within the industry in each country and they've got you by the short hairs. It's called monopolizing the marketplace and there's not a thing we can do about it. One of these days government is going to have to regulate the health care and dental industries and require them to post prices and give firm estimates in order to stimulate free market competition. Then and only them will the outrageous prices begin to come down...
Sounds like a good argument for ObamaCare! :confused:
Gosh, if it even smells anything like something with Obama's name attached to it, then I take everything back that I said. Government takeover is not the same as government regulation. Cheers Bubba!

BigRick808
udonmap.com

Post by BigRick808 » July 10, 2013, 10:42 pm

One of these days government is going to have to regulate the health care and dental industries and require them to post prices and give firm estimates in order to stimulate free market competition.

Government regulation and free market competition :) Require them to post prices...even if the government sets the price, or not(just post it) it will be too high for some. A firm estimate? An estimate is an estimate. A firm estimate is like a nice cold cup of hot coffee. A firm price is one thing, but a firm estimate....? You know, if we choose to exercise personal responsibility, we can all do that now. Ask him/her what the maximum price will be--agree, or not.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 11, 2013, 8:39 am

Mod Note: The subject is Western-trained Dentists (in Udon). Please stay on topic.

milkman
udonmap.com

Post by milkman » July 11, 2013, 5:11 pm

WBU ALUM, can you tell me more about Dr. Ratchanai. Like where did he go to dental school? What did he do for you, and how did it turn out?

I'd ask the same question if anybody knows about Dr. Wangchan.

Thanks!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 11, 2013, 5:49 pm

Dr Wangchan is a graduate of University of Michigan. She did a crown and bridge for me......cost was no problem. My only complaint was that she took phone calls while working on me.......I think she works either as a judge/lawyer with the court system in Udon. A bit disturbing to have her answer the phone in the middle of work but all in all, no complaints.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » July 11, 2013, 8:13 pm

Dr. Wangchan did 2 crowns and 2 impants for me. She also recently did a crown for my wife. We're both quite happy with her workmanship. The first crown she did she failed to explain finished porcelain on all sides vs just the front surface. Whe she realized I wanted all surfaces in finished porcelain she redid the crown at no additional expense.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”