Yellow House Books

General Udon Thani topics only!
Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: Yellow House Books

Post by Whistler » March 15, 2021, 12:57 pm

Once again applied for yellow book, paperwork accepted by surly lady at amphur. I mentioned the fact that I had looked at requirements which said witnesses must be Thai citizens over the age of 20. She said the boss at the amphur insists it is the headman from ban. Does anybody know if they can insist on this change to published rules?

The other interesting part of my trip. I had an other Aussie national also wanted a yellow book. Surly lady says they refuse to issue to anybody who is not married. Not my understanding, any useful info from the more experienced on here?

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 15, 2021, 1:14 pm

Assuming this is NBLP, this is huge progress from maybe a dozen years ago when it was reported on ThaiVisa that they claimed they didn't even exist and threatened a "pushy" farang with jail if he persisted.

As for their request for the PB to attend, like certain immigration offices they are not unique in demanding stuff despite their published regulations saying otherwise. Also, the need to be married to a Thai citizen, although not mandatory, isn't an unknown demand at other Amphur.

Roll with it or give up (or relocate).

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 15, 2021, 1:27 pm

Udon Thani, not NBLP
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 15, 2021, 1:33 pm

Whistler wrote:
March 15, 2021, 12:57 pm
Once again applied for yellow book, paperwork accepted by surly lady at amphur. I mentioned the fact that I had looked at requirements which said witnesses must be Thai citizens over the age of 20. She said the boss at the amphur insists it is the headman from ban. Does anybody know if they can insist on this change to published rules?

The other interesting part of my trip. I had an other Aussie national also wanted a yellow book. Surly lady says they refuse to issue to anybody who is not married. Not my understanding, any useful info from the more experienced on here?
They can certainly insist on requiring the Phu Yai Baan as your witness. He will be willing to come along, you will be expected to give him a gift for his time.

You can of course refuse to bring him if you don’t want the book, as refusal will probably mean your application will not be accepted.

They can also refuse to issue a yellow book to whoever they wish.
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on March 15, 2021, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 15, 2021, 1:36 pm

Whistler wrote:
March 15, 2021, 1:27 pm
Udon Thani, not NBLP
Aha! New Amphur (the person) syndrome at the Amphur (the office)?

I got mine maybe 12 years ago in Udon and it took a couple of visits, bringing mother-in-law (with the blue house book), the moobahn witness (neighbor's kid), along with a translation of my passport which was locally done with no need for MFA certification. I think a nominal "fee" of one purple note changed hands but despite the Amphur (the man) promising to come and have a beer after work (he never did), it was less challenging than I thought it would be.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 15, 2021, 1:50 pm

Did mine about 20 yrs ago and I clearly remember that they were very helpful after i'd donated a purple picture of HM Individual. My witness was my 70 yr old neighbour, thus ensuring that they were never going to cause a problem due to the "respect" needing to be showed to the old girl ;)

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 15, 2021, 2:09 pm

Thanks guys, I did expect as much. 55

Any suggestions of what my unmarried mate should offer to the weekly Amphur official's tea party.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 15, 2021, 2:48 pm

^ A damned sight more than just a hah-loy!

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 15, 2021, 3:16 pm

Sorry, bit wordy but my experience in getting a yellow book.
I got my first yellow book when Mrs N was registered in Nong Han so that’s where we applied. What a palaver, it took forever. Every time visiting the same miserable woman who clearly hated her job & had a dislike for local girls who’d found happiness with a farang.
In fairness the first time Mrs N was winging it & didn’t really know what was needed.
The second time my passport translation was refused as not valid (from the office next to Landmark) & also needed notarising. We were heading back to the UK so I decided to get everything sorted by the Embassy in London.
Third time we presented everything & it was refused because the Embassy in London had used blue ink on their stamp & it should have been green according to the lady. It was easier to start again so off we trot on a day trip to Bangkok to sort everything.
Fourth time application a little background I’d found out about the office. First time main man was old, didn’t care & was leaving. Second & third application, no main man on site. Fourth application a new lady boss, youngish, smart & friendly. She saw us sitting in the queue, walked out from behind her desk which I notice had been moved from the dark office at the back & right into the middle of the bull pen where everything happened & started having a friendly chat with Mrs N. She briefly glanced at the pack & just said it was fine. She gestured to miserable lady & told her to process our application. I also noticed miserable didn’t have any customers but was being averse to bringing up the next ticket number when she realised it was us.
She took the pack & pored over it for a disproportionate amount of time. She then did this again. Obviously trying desperately to find something she could say was wrong. Nice boss lady came over after about 10 mins & asked if there was a problem. Miserable lady just said no & furiously stamped the papers & told us to come back after lunch to collect the book. Result 👍

When we moved to Udon I was expecting something similar when trying to change the address but in & out in less than 30mins with a newly addressed book. Strangely (to me anyway) they didn’t “cancel” the old book so I’ve now got two
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 15, 2021, 3:34 pm

Your "old" book will be linked to Mrs N's blue tibian bahn from Nong Han, no? The book numbers (on the first page) should be the same.

Is your new book linked to any blue tibian bahn? If Mrs N has a new blue tibian bahn for your new digs, again the book numbers would be the same and both your Nong Han books would be obsolete?

Unless of course one is "allowed" to have two domiciles in Thailand, then it's a case iof YMMV and TiT and we're all kinda used to that by now.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 15, 2021, 3:47 pm

Obviously there is a MOC (Miserable Old Cow) club with members from many amphurs
Last edited by Whistler on March 15, 2021, 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 15, 2021, 3:47 pm

Yes, my latest yellow book is linked to Mrs Ns new tabien ban at the Udon address.
She has still got the tabien ban for Nong Han which my first yellow book is also linked to.

So I guess to answer your suggestion we both seem to have valid books for two different domiciles.
Not sure if it will prove beneficial in any way. (doubt it)
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » March 16, 2021, 5:34 pm

Tried to get a yellow book 7 years ago but was asked for not one, but THREE separate bribes. I declined. Have lived here for 11 years and got by without one. The cost and hassle of getting one just not worthwhile .

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » March 16, 2021, 6:36 pm

there is a difference between having a blue book and being registered at this blue book ,normally you can have several blue books (if you have many homes ) but you can only be registered living in one of them ..if you move you should change your domicile .... in case of my yellow book ,i have applied many years ago also at nonghan without any problems and changed later to udon also effortless, i think many times people having problems ,are self inflicted by their attitude , but not always TIT... ;)

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » March 16, 2021, 7:09 pm

Whistler wrote:
March 15, 2021, 12:57 pm

Got my Yellow book 4 years ago and took over a month to get from the main office near Nong Prajak park.

I went with my wife and took all the correct documents (don't ask what they were as no memory now). Initially they tried to refuse me because I was too young! (comment was why do you want a house book, you are not retired and will not live here until you are old). After some discussion they changed the approach and asked for my witness (they noticed no one was with us). We called someone who works in the same building and lives in our moo ban, she came down stairs and confirmed she is a neighbour and has known me for several years (I'd never seen her before :-" ). Next step was it was lunch time and so we'd have to come back later. Went to Starbucks in Landmark and bought a few extra expensive coffees and cakes. Returned after lunch offering the 'treats' and the application was processed. Final comment was that had been a 'lot' of farang fraud recently and so I'd have to wait for 1 month for the application to be vetted and non-objected.
Got a call 5 weeks later saying book was ready. Went to collect and on the way out was stopped and told to go collect my pink ID (I'd not asked for one, but was nice surprise) and actually a lot more useful than the yellow book has ever been.
No brides were asked and none given (expect Starbucks), only problem was the person who processes Yellow books clearly does not want to issue them to certain people.

anefarious1
udonmap.com

Post by anefarious1 » March 16, 2021, 7:39 pm

Never needed a so called Yellow Book. Built a house, bought a car in my name, rented apartments, travel, marriage, yearly visa extensions. What do you guys use it for?

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 16, 2021, 7:46 pm

Ta deankham.

I went to meet a lawyer today with my friend. She confirmed the amphur is wrong and will sort out my friends issue for around 10,000 bhat. This afternoon, the amphur called and said they had approved my Yellow book, I can collect next week.

Seems that calling them out to their face, but doing so politely and firmly, has merit. No tea money needed.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 16, 2021, 7:49 pm

anefarious1 wrote:
March 16, 2021, 7:39 pm
Never needed a so called Yellow Book.
So called .... because they are yellow.

UP2U if you want to get one - plenty here have, and are happy to have done so.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » March 16, 2021, 8:05 pm

anefarious1 wrote:
Never needed a so called Yellow Book. Built a house, bought a car in my name, rented apartments, travel, marriage, yearly visa extensions. What do you guys use it for?
Proof of address

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 16, 2021, 8:12 pm

jackspratt wrote:
March 16, 2021, 7:49 pm
anefarious1 wrote:
Never needed a so called Yellow Book.
So called .... because they are yellow.

UP2U if you want to get one - plenty here have, and are happy to have done so.
Jack,

Please note, some on here are so much smarter than everybody else. For me, just a dumb new boy, I like the idea of buying my own vehicle without getting 500 bhat letter from immigration, ditto renewing my license, connecting electricity to a new house, transferring money from a 7/11, getting free or discounted accident treatment, doing things that Thais' can do without having to have my wife do for me, etc, etc.

Yellow means coward? What is the colour of obstinance, I know ignorance has a pinkish colour.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”