What About a 'Get Together'

General Udon Thani topics only!
tonika
udonmap.com

Post by tonika » September 2, 2012, 2:35 pm

Since I've been using this forum I have received help from various members here, and it has been greatly appreciated. It got me thinking it would be great to meet some of these characters in person. Has there ever been a 'get together' of forum members.

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » September 2, 2012, 2:57 pm

A noble idea Tonika! I'd like to meet some of these characters myself (although I think many prefer to remain anonymous). I'd offer up a free round of domestic beers (or soft drinks) at our location for such an ocassion!

Bubba
Every day I wake up is a good day.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » September 2, 2012, 3:04 pm

we could all turn up using the name of a famous movie star / Character, and then those who want to remain anonymous can remain so.

Rambo...hahaha

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 2, 2012, 3:10 pm

I suggest Bubba offer up his venue for such a get together.. All arriving could wear tags with their avatar names, thus (for the most part) maintaining their anyonimity if they so desire.....
Dave

KB_Texas

Post by KB_Texas » September 2, 2012, 3:40 pm

Back in the early days of personal computers, there were websites called BBS's that were basically early forums. We would often have a 'bash', basically a party where members, or prospective members, were welcome to come and mingle. Usually it would be at a place that served food, though buying food and/or drinks was elective.

People would either wear a name tag with their real name (if they did not want to expose their alias) or their alias on the BBS if they did not care if folks knew their alias. Most of them were great times for all in attendance, though sometimes a bit too much drink, and differing opinions, lead to some heated discussions that required separation. Not often though...twice in about 4 years of regular bashes, which we held about once every 6 weeks. It is surprising that most times those who are most acerbic in their computer communications often end up being rather likable people in person. ;)

These grew to the point that there were times when we had over 100 people in attendance, and were enjoyed by a wide range of folks.

KB

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » September 2, 2012, 4:16 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:I suggest Bubba offer up his venue for such a get together..
I thought I already did, Dave, but just to make it clear, I'd even do it on one of our normally closed days (Monday and Tuesday) if thats what the group preferred! That way it would be more exclusive ;) Just need advance notice.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » September 2, 2012, 4:27 pm

Been there. Done That, even got the T shirt, seven years ago.
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/t ... %20meeting
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » September 2, 2012, 4:59 pm

trubrit wrote:Been there. Done That, even got the T shirt, seven years ago.
Talk about a blast from the past. That link brings back some old memories. :D

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » September 2, 2012, 5:41 pm

Oh, so this type of thing is limited to once in a lifetime?

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » September 2, 2012, 5:58 pm

BigBubba wrote:
No not at all but times, people and places all change in that time span. I for one couldn't go down that road again, the spirit is willing but the body just wouldn't take it. Most of the members at the time have either run out of wild oat seeds or disappeared to pastures new, to be replaced by the current bunch. Even the stablishments frequented then have disappeared or changed beyond recognition. The newer members may have different ideas of fun than we did although that is not apparent fom reading the forum these days. So good luck to anyone wanting a meet up, hope its as much fun as it used to be just not for me now .
index.jpg
index.jpg (6.75 KiB) Viewed 2030 times
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

mally
udonmap.com

Post by mally » September 2, 2012, 11:38 pm

I think it would be great idea, as an "out of towner" that visits Udon maybe twice a year, it would be a great chance to meet some others outside of the normal bar scene, where there are many (but not all) westerners that are better avoided than chatting with.
Just because this has been done before in the past, that's no reason for the newer crowd to carry on.

royrover

Post by royrover » September 2, 2012, 11:46 pm

hi guys its sounds a great idea, been living in the udon area for 8 years but only been on the forum for a few months , it would be nice to put the posts to the faces all the best....

jeebeeg
udonmap.com

Post by jeebeeg » September 3, 2012, 7:35 am

Nice idea!

Thumbs up for Bubba, for offering his place!

akwoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by akwoodworker » September 3, 2012, 7:51 am

If it is after October 5th count me in, we arrive in Bkk on the 3rd and have to get my bike in Hua Hin then on to Udon
Russ

camps
udonmap.com

Post by camps » September 3, 2012, 11:27 am

trubrit wrote:
BigBubba wrote:
No not at all but times, people and places all change in that time span. I for one couldn't go down that road again, the spirit is willing but the body just wouldn't take it. Most of the members at the time have either run out of wild oat seeds or disappeared to pastures new, to be replaced by the current bunch. Even the stablishments frequented then have disappeared or changed beyond recognition. The newer members may have different ideas of fun than we did although that is not apparent fom reading the forum these days. So good luck to anyone wanting a meet up, hope its as much fun as it used to be just not for me now .
index.jpg

Oh come on TB, there r enough of us in Nong Wau So we could share the driving \:D/

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » September 3, 2012, 2:47 pm

mally wrote:I think it would be great idea, as an "out of towner" that visits Udon maybe twice a year, it would be a great chance to meet some others outside of the normal bar scene, where there are many (but not all) westerners that are better avoided than chatting with.
Just because this has been done before in the past, that's no reason for the newer crowd to carry on.

OK, somebody has to get the ball rolling here. I propose this coming Saturday, 8 Sept., at 6PM for the first meeting of us "new comers" to UM. Of course it's the more knowledgeable "old timers" we all want to meet ;) So take your multi vitamins this week and please come!

After the first meeting, attendees can decide when and where (or IF) to meet again. And again, the first round of local drinks is on us.

Bubba and Jun

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 3, 2012, 7:07 pm

:D I'll be there!! \:D/
Dave

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » September 3, 2012, 7:13 pm

Been there, done that!

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 3, 2012, 7:14 pm

I see over on Udon Talk an expat get-together is planned also for this Saturday at 6:30PM at the night market.
Dave

tonika
udonmap.com

Post by tonika » September 3, 2012, 9:10 pm

Didn't mean to offend anyone when I sent this post. What I was hoping, it would be a social evening, rather than a drunken p**s up. And maybe should have added you bring your partner along, that way some of us could make new friends. My wife doesn't like alcohol, whereas I enjoy a couple off beers. From reading some of the past posts on this forum, it would appear there are some genuine characters, I'm sure with some good stories, experiences etc., to share with other members, since coming to Thailand. Hopefully, from some of the positive responses from some members a get together could happen.

tonika

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”