Exchange Rates

General Udon Thani topics only!
bumper
udonmap.com

Exchange Rates

Post by bumper » August 9, 2012, 6:17 pm

This is one of the reasons determining Baht rates in Advance is almost impossible. The article speaks for itslef, so beyond saying foriegn money going into the market effects the baht rate. There are two things that happened today that could upset shopping cart. One France is talking about it's going back into recession. That can effect the Euro which in turn efects the dollar the Baht. You would see the lead into that from the E.U. markets and then the U.S. Markets. The drop the SET will drop tomorrow. I have no idea why, But, it appears when the E.U. gets knocked there is a run fo the dollar almost everytime.

The second thing any violence at the Surpreme Court in reference to revoking bail on the Reds. I don't really see anything resolved in the ongoing political situation. Violence the foreighners will bail out of the market and the baht will loose ground. That one I'm fairly confident and isnlt a matter of if. But, when.

What Say Ye Jimbo ?
Baht advances, bonds rise
Published: 9/08/2012 at 05:50 PM Online news:
Thailand's baht strengthened and government bonds rose for a third day on Thursday after foreign funds boosted holdings of the country's assets.

Overseas investors bought US$115 million more Thai equities than they sold in the first three days of this week and pumped a net $665 million into government debt, according to data from the stock exchange and the Thai Bond Market Association. Monetary stimulus should be retained as an option until there is greater clarity on the impact of the global economy on Thailand, the central bank said in the minutes of its July 25 policy meeting released on Wednesday.

"Fund inflows are supporting the currency," said Yuji Kameoka, chief currency strategist at Daiwa Securities Co in Tokyo. "Although sentiment has been improving lately, it’s not strong enough to push the baht and other regional currencies toward new highs."

The baht strengthened 0.1 per cent to 31.49 per dollar as of 3.26pm in Bangkok, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. The currency touched 31.27 on Aug 6, the strongest level since May 22. Its thee-month implied volatility, a measure of exchange-rate swings used to price options, was little changed at 6.24 per cent.

The yield on the 3.25 per cent bonds due June 2017 dropped one basis point to 3.10 per cent, the lowest level since February, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

bumper
udonmap.com

Exchange Rates

Post by bumper » August 9, 2012, 6:40 pm

One bullet rescheduled.

The verdict on the bail hearing is now sheduled for August 22.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Exchange Rates

Post by Aardvark » December 12, 2012, 8:31 am

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Exchange Rates

Post by JimboPSM » December 13, 2012, 9:35 am

Aardvark wrote:Aussie Dollar at 3 month High ... http://www.perthnow.com.au/business/aus ... 6535001315
While the AUD may be at a three month high, it is open to question if, and how long, that high may be sustainable.

One interpretation that could be put on the series of six interest rate cuts by the RBA started in November 2011 (which reduced the rate from 4.75% to 3.00%) is that the central bank believes that the rate for the AUD is too high.

So far the interest rate cuts have had no noticeable effect on the value of the AUD; it appears that momentum and sentiment are helping the AUD to defy the economic and mathematical gravity of interest rate decreases.

This chart shows that the AUD can fall over the cliff edge in quite dramatic fashion (and recover almost as dramatically), it also shows that the decreasing net interest rate differential over the last couple of years between the RBA and the BoT has had no apparent affect on the AUD/THB exchange rate - the question in my mind is how long is that likely to continue :-k
  • AUD-THB - 2004 to 2012.12.12.jpg
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Exchange Rates

Post by mortiboy » January 4, 2013, 9:35 pm

Let me get this right.... I wont get charged cash advance fee/and percent on a ATM withdrawal Thailand?
Nah cant be!......................http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/artic ... rency.html

rick
udonmap.com

Exchange Rates

Post by rick » January 5, 2013, 4:04 pm

No, it is ONLY if you are buying foreign currency in the UK. It was an outrageous charge, avoidable if you bought over internet or withdrew cash to pay. But they still screw you on the exchange rate in the UK; Lloyds offer you 44.46 baht to the pound - that is about 4 baht less than if i use my clarity credit card in Thailand (including exchange rate fee). The article does say charges for use abroad stay the same. I change about £700 a month and i typically pay about £7 exchange rate conversion fee and about £3-4 interest. And no ATM fees.

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Exchange Rates

Post by parrot » July 9, 2021, 11:03 am

When you're bumping a thread whose last posters were bumper, aardvark, mortiboy........you're really bumping a thread!
The dollar is either on a roll or the Baht is on the decline. Take your pick https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/co ... USD&To=THB

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » July 9, 2021, 11:54 am

Last year Jimbo predicted the US Dollar would be at about 15 baht. [Redacted by Moderator]
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » July 9, 2021, 1:53 pm

Your right Parrot, GBP now 45 baht - hasn't been that high since the Brexit referendum.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 10, 2021, 11:32 am

45.33 THB/GBP this morning. Nice 👍
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » July 10, 2021, 5:02 pm

It would appear from my limited knowledge of such things the Baht is taking a pounding plus the Dollar is increasing in value. While the Covid debacle rages in Thailand it is losing as lot of Currency headwind and will eventually go almost up to 456 to the pound I guess

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » July 10, 2021, 5:22 pm

Transferred my 65K today from Aus. @ a nett rate just over 24 to the Baht.
Haven't seen that for a while!!!
Testing the system, 1st time I have done it on a weekend - was surprised by a 4 hr turn around from trigger to receipt into Kbank.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » July 10, 2021, 8:36 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
July 10, 2021, 5:02 pm
It would appear from my limited knowledge of such things the Baht is taking a pounding plus the Dollar is increasing in value. While the Covid debacle rages in Thailand it is losing as lot of Currency headwind and will eventually go almost up to 456 to the pound I guess
KP I think you have missed the point 🤣

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 10, 2021, 8:57 pm

Giggle wrote:
July 9, 2021, 11:54 am
Last year Jimbo predicted the US Dollar would be at about 15 baht. [Redacted by Moderator]
Link?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 10, 2021, 9:01 pm

dunroaming wrote:
July 10, 2021, 8:36 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
July 10, 2021, 5:02 pm
KP I think you have missed the point 🤣
456 ..... that's huge. You lucky Poms.

In the meantime us destitute Aussies will need to continue to scrape by on a bit over 24. :(

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 11, 2021, 9:42 am

The Canadian dollar is losing to the U.S. dollar down from 83 to 80 cents but remains 25.50 to the Thai baht. Last year, we just got over 22 baht to the Canadian dollar. Wise gives a better rate than the major Canadian banks.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » July 11, 2021, 8:18 pm

Giggle as usual has a very distorted view of reality. 15 baht? Actually 25 and it was 4 years ago Jimbo predicted that. Certainly the dollar was drifting down at that time. Jimbo is no fan of Trump (or Boris and Brexit). Actually quite a sensible man.

Trump liked cutting government spending - I think maintaining the Infrastructure suffered, but not an area i have paid much attention to - in the UK we had our own issues with government for the last 5 years!

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » July 12, 2021, 3:08 am

I am surprised there is no mention of the impending global economic collapse. What about rates then, if banks are open.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 12, 2021, 1:49 pm

45.27 THB/GBP so lost a few satang over the weekend.

Long way to go before it reaches the previously predicted 456 THB/GBP. Never mind, I can wait

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 22, 2021, 11:49 am

Squeaky bum time a day or so ago when it quickly dropped to about 44.5 THB/GBP.

Back up over 45 to 45.05 THB/GBP this morning & still climbing which is good 👍

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”