Close call with a individual Cobra

General Udon Thani topics only!
parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 25, 2012, 7:56 pm

There are pitfalls to letting your dogs grow up to be snake killers. The long-snouted dog got cobra venim in the eye on both occasions. The first wasn't very serious......a good washing out did the trick. The second was pretty nasty. By the next day, the eyeball had recessed in the socket, it looked horrible, and we thought she'd be blind in that eye. It took a week to know that she could still see out of that eye and about two weeks for things to return to normal.
We figured she'd be less prone to hunting more snakes.....but she's always the first in for a bite when another snake comes into the yard.

zoomzoom
udonmap.com

Post by zoomzoom » September 25, 2012, 10:44 pm

I have, always, had a fear of snakes so when I came to live in Thailand (about 6 years ago) I was looking for them everywhere.

However, I've only ever seen two.

One was wriggling across the entrance to Tesco (green about 4ft long) and the other I noticed on the other side of our soi (black, about 2ft long and ribbon shaped).

I have no idea what either of them were/are but I'm very happy that these are the only ones I've seen!

I'd prefer to have a close encounter with a charging elephant (have had) than an unidentified snake.

Stupid, maybe, but that is me.
What is hope??????

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » September 26, 2012, 12:14 am

I agree with ZZ, do not like snakes, but will tolorate the ones that are not poisonous as they control rodents. Would think about getting a mongoose or 2 if I knew cobra's were in the area. Also heard that hedgehogs were good for killing vipers, but not sure about cobras.

randerson79
udonmap.com

Post by randerson79 » September 26, 2012, 8:22 am

In a heavy down pour last month I opened my gate real fast. It came to a sudden stop. I thought it came off the track and I left it. Came back after the rain had stopped and found this guy under the wheel of the gate. I don't know anything about snakes but it gave me the chills! I took a few photos of it and searched the web and found nothing. Felt bad I killed him.
318.jpeg
318.jpeg (42.77 KiB) Viewed 2004 times
317.jpeg
317.jpeg (34.29 KiB) Viewed 2004 times

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 26, 2012, 9:03 am

That's a meal for a family of 6! I always offer the big snakes to the neighbors......in most cases, they gladly take them, butcher them up and make paht grapao snake.

redwolf
udonmap.com

Post by redwolf » September 26, 2012, 9:06 am

wow! randerson that looks like a big one, -2 meters? (6 feet?).

head shape seems to indicate Python of some kind. guess we'll have to hope one of the snake experts in here checks in and ID's it.
AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

MAC

Post by MAC » September 29, 2012, 12:17 pm

You just saw a Cobra up close, not even that close really. If you mess around in Thailand long enough you will have a bunch of stories. The best thing to do is walk with a big walking stick, I like one about shoulder height so I have a bunch of options on holding it. One end should be heavier so it can pendulum swing a bit, whatever you feel comfortable with.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » March 17, 2015, 7:02 pm

Had problem with spitting cobra yesterday , the dogs always attack and kill the snakes , ( for the past 8 years ) but this time 2 of the dogs got hit , first dog 1 eye the other both eye's ,not knowing what to do ( home alone , rare occasion ) the villagers decided to help, chewing on something that can only be described as a crab apple they spat it into the dogs eye's ,( this reminded me of a witch doctor scaring away the demons ,)they assured me all would be ok ,in the morning the dogs were blind , heavy mucus , eye's deep down into sockets ,( i should have known better , it never ceases to amaze me how little these people know about their environment ) so onto internet , wash out with copious amounts of water / milk , and apply eye drops ,same as for chemical splash ,this is 12 hours later , i'm thinking too late , but later the dogs are improving the dog that couldn't see has gained sight in one eye , hopefully both will make a full recovery ,where i grew up we learned about environment etc , but here were you have more dangerous animals etc it appears they dont ,

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 17, 2015, 7:16 pm

When a cobra spat into our dog's eye we weren't able to do anything for another 10 minutes or so....the dog was in the red zone, intent on hunting down the cobra. When the cobra finally met its match, my wife put the hose on our dog's eye and flushed....then some more, and more. I was certain the dog would be blind in one eye. The next day, the eye was set well in the back of the eye socket. Things looked grim. But as each day went by, the eye got better and better. A few days after the incident, all was back to normal.

redwolf
udonmap.com

Post by redwolf » March 17, 2015, 7:18 pm

so hoopoe, -did they kill the snake though?

good to know parrot, -wonder if it's the same for people....
AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » March 17, 2015, 7:23 pm

parrot wrote:When a cobra spat into our dog's eye we weren't able to do anything for another 10 minutes or so....the dog was in the red zone, intent on hunting down the cobra. When the cobra finally met its match, my wife put the hose on our dog's eye and flushed....then some more, and more. I was certain the dog would be blind in one eye. The next day, the eye was set well in the back of the eye socket. Things looked grim. But as each day went by, the eye got better and better. A few days after the incident, all was back to normal.
Cheers for that , hopefully all will end well ,my dogs also in the red zone but at the time i didn't realise they'd been sprayed ,i first thought it was a juvenile individual ,
my golden retriever ( who dosen't usually bother ) ran in ,bit it clean in half & tossed it all over , i got blood splattered ,

JMT42
udonmap.com

Post by JMT42 » March 18, 2015, 4:21 pm

Had some kind of green snake bounce off my head when I pulled down our rollup garage doors. He was a real stubborn bugger I tried to chase him away with a stick but just wouldn't go. Also I noticed you have rubber trees , if you look in the misc. for sale page 2 you will see I have a pair of new rubber sheet rollers for sale cheap.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » March 18, 2015, 11:12 pm

We have had 4 Malayan pit vipers so far this year, 2 of which i spotted myself - one when under a metre away.

But i'm a live and let live sort of guy. Only kill if indoors.

wayneor0
udonmap.com

Post by wayneor0 » March 19, 2015, 8:27 am

i got struck by a deadly brown snake in queensland.i was working in my bark garden when i felt a sharp ***** thought i had bumped into a rose bush.went inside started to feel dizzy sick dropped my jeans and there were two blister like lumps on my leg.went two chemist shop which was handy showed him he popped the blisters and laughed he said the fangs had only gone into my outer skin layers.i never saw the snake

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 19, 2015, 2:18 pm

wayneor0 wrote:i got struck by a deadly brown snake in queensland............
.............i never saw the snake
:-k

downunder
udonmap.com

Post by downunder » March 19, 2015, 4:30 pm

You could say that wayneor0 is as smart as you Jack

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 19, 2015, 5:24 pm

downunder wrote:You could say that wayneor0 is as smart as you Jack
I'm touched, du - only yesterday you were writing:
Be like me, don't bother to read his threads.
How smart does that make you? :D

downunder
udonmap.com

Post by downunder » March 20, 2015, 8:27 am

Jack, Could not miss the opportunity with a chance to repay you with a snide remark. It would be good if we had a Jack Spratt free zone where you were Banned. Have to work on that one.
In answer to your question, It dose not take much to be smarter than a cardboard effigy of a nursery rhyme character.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 20, 2015, 8:36 am

downunder wrote:Jack, Could not miss the opportunity ......................
So you're not even smart enough to take your own advice - a second time. :D

Says it all, really. ;)

downunder
udonmap.com

Post by downunder » March 20, 2015, 8:49 am

You deserve everything you get. You are upset now Jack that you have been outsmarted. I may change my name to Jack Horner, so we can play with all the other nursery rhyme characters. Bye Bye Mr Google.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”