Blackmail

General Udon Thani topics only!
dake333
udonmap.com

Blackmail

Post by dake333 » February 18, 2011, 8:17 pm

What does one do when the realationship goes pear shaped and ones house contents are being blackmailed againt him with threats about going to the police with some gunja and reporting that as his?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Re: Blackmail

Post by BobHelm » February 18, 2011, 8:38 pm

Tread carefully is my advice...
Sometimes it is necessary to accept loses & just move on.
Mistakes are only mistakes if they are not learnt from.
Even all the possessions are worthless to you if the authorities decide to take the drug charge seriously & make you leave the country.
If you no longer wish to live in Thailand then there are all sorts of 'vengeance' actions you could take before you immediately leave. But that will not get you the value of the contents.
If you wish to stay in Thailand then probably the best course of action is to write it off to experience.
You could tell her you would accompany her to the Police on the insistence that you both take a drug test - my understanding is that they are clear after about 30 days after use has passed. However I suspect that another 'threat' would probably appear if this one disappears.
I think it is time to decide what your 'favourite' piece is in the property & negotiate for that alone..
Or, if you have receipts in your name for everything (for example if you paid by your credit card) then go & see a solicitor & play hard ball for the lot!!

It all depends how much you actually value the contents compared with the alternatives...

21again
udonmap.com

Post by 21again » February 19, 2011, 12:57 am

As Bob said tread carefully.
You could go to the police first and inform them of her plan, but then again that could backfire.As bob mentioned, all depends on how much you value the items, and i suppose how long you have been together, who's house etc.
I take it you are no longer together?

Welshboy
udonmap.com

Post by Welshboy » February 19, 2011, 2:52 am

Hi Dake333.

It is only the house contents that you are going to lose.
A lot of farang men have lost a lot more than that !
If you have your health, balls, passport and your other personal possessions.
Then count yourself lucky and cut your losses.

ALL THAI LADIES LIE TO FARANG MEN.
More Sex and Lies from a Thai lady.

You Have Been Warned.
Colin

Welshboy
udonmap.com

Post by Welshboy » February 19, 2011, 3:13 am

PS. Dake333. Nice arse ;)

grozza
udonmap.com

Post by grozza » February 19, 2011, 7:28 am

i wouldnt sweat it about the gunja to much unless they find it on you ,could you imagine how many people would be doing that,if you dont like sombody just take some drugs to the police and say it was joe blows and bingo there busted.about the house you may need some professional advice on that one.
chok dee cup

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » February 19, 2011, 7:46 am

It depends on what else has been agreed, assuming your now separated. I know of a lady who this week came back to Udon to sort out her financial affairs after the break up of her marriage. Due to a pre-nup she only gets 10% of the house sale. In her case I can understand her being a bit peeved about her ex's greed and would want to make the most of the other assets.

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » February 19, 2011, 8:29 am

Dake. Perhaps, you could enlighten us all and tell us what the "house contents" are, and what they are worth?
However...
Remember, the #1 adage for expats here in Thailand: "Never buy/invest more than you can afford to walk away from". Or something like that.

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Post by harmonyudon » February 19, 2011, 8:47 am

jingjai wrote: Remember, the #1 adage for expats here in Thailand: "Never buy/invest more than you can afford to walk away from".
Very good advise JingJai,
also when a Farang (not a Thai) went to the Police and (try to) accuse another foreigner with a lot of lies.
Don't be a loser, don't comment on others if u haven't achieved a thing.
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » February 19, 2011, 9:08 am

I was blackmailed in a simliar fashion many many moons ago, but in a different country..I had bought a house but my financee of the time had convinced me to put her name on the title so the house would feel hers/ours, within 2 yrs she had run off with a guy in a band, took my son too..they came back at me wanting money, I said no way, they up'd the ante, and said they would go half the house, my lawyer said at the time that considering she hadnt put a cent into the purchase, she wouldnt get a cent back..so then they said they would go to the cops and tell them about certain items I had in my possession,, unless I handed over the antique lounge suite...lawyer said give it to her if she signs a written contract/document to state that this was full and final payment as way of relationship settlement, she was to also take her name of my title.. I did it, she accepted and it worked, much as I would have liked to do them both serious damage for trying things on me, and it was their word against mine over the items, but it was best to get it sorted and out the way...

I would suggest you follow simlar lines re her signing something, otherwise she will come back again in the future with another stunt...also clean you house out now of anything to do with the wildwood weed, including car ashtray..and dont let her anywhere near the house as she could plant something, change the locks if she has a key..time to go straight dude, until the smoke lifts..I wouldnt just hand over the stuff without some sort of contract, or evidence that she accepted the things as final settlement........you can always get another lounge suite....is the house in her name???? or is it leased??

jonny_w
udonmap.com

Post by jonny_w » February 19, 2011, 6:32 pm

you should grab everything you personally came with that you can carry with 2 hands and get out of there, this is a dangerous game you are in.
call it a lesson learned.

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » February 20, 2011, 4:37 am

dake333 wrote:What does one do when the realationship goes pear shaped and ones house contents are being blackmailed againt him with threats about going to the police with some gunja and reporting that as his?
Sounds like the actions of a woman scorned and this is only half the story. Not my biz to ask about the other half, but you may want to try getting help luring her out the house long enough for you to get in, get your stuff, and get out before she returns.

Welshboy
udonmap.com

Post by Welshboy » February 20, 2011, 5:15 am

The word here is BLACKMAIL.
Thats must mean there is some truth in her accusation.
If this is true then Bollocks to you.

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » February 20, 2011, 10:55 am

Welshboy wrote:The word here is BLACKMAIL.
A touch hard on the guy dont you think Colin?

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » February 20, 2011, 11:14 am

DermotC wrote:
Welshboy wrote:The word here is BLACKMAIL.
A touch hard on the guy dont you think Colin?
IMO Welshboy has a valid point here , theres always 2 sides to every story as my old gran use to say ( as she got sent down for shoplifting again)'

If this is about a bit of furntiture then the OP should lick his wounds n move on to be some one elses next victim.

mash ....... aint no preacher or teacher just a humble shopkeeper

Welshboy
udonmap.com

Post by Welshboy » February 20, 2011, 6:49 pm

BobHelm » February 18, 2011, 1:38 pm
Tread carefully is my advice...
Sometimes it is necessary to accept loses & just move on.

Mistakes are only mistakes if they are not learnt from.

What are Mistakes cauld when you do learn from then ? :D

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 20, 2011, 6:54 pm

EXPERIENCE

daxbr
udonmap.com

Post by daxbr » February 22, 2011, 8:44 am

When I have relationship troubles, I go on vacation... alone. :) Things always turn out better when I am away.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 22, 2011, 10:24 pm

it would appear that the best advice has already been given, trying to get your stuff out might be inviting some fisticuffs on which you would definitely be the loser. it would therefore appear that mistakes have been made and I doubt you will venture down that road again ,,or at least in the same way as before, your loses may be large or small, but they are only loses of material things which over time can be replaced, physical injury or loss of part of your anatomy cannot be replaced, so quit while you are ahead, and chalk it up to EXPERIENCE.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » February 23, 2011, 8:21 pm

Maybe you should confess to smoking up too much to her and ask her for forgiveness, and that you will give up smoking the stuff. Is this the real root of the problem, or is there something else on her mind?

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”