Udon Thani / Thailand Post & Courier details

General Udon Thani topics only!
parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 2, 2011, 6:07 pm

I sent them by EMS, cost 400 baht. Thanks for the input.

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » December 3, 2011, 2:32 pm

Hi,
Always sent things, birthdays, Christmas etc., to Britian, using standard Thai mail. Used to go to main post office, but since Big C opened near the airport, i now go there, On the ground floor near back. Opens at 1100Hrs. It's also where you get the ID's from. Those steps at the main office were getting to me.
Never had a parcel or letter go missing for the last six years. Takes about four to seven days for delivery, to the Isle of Man.
Nothing but praise for the Thai postal service. They have done me well.
Cheers Doug.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 3, 2011, 2:46 pm

Thanks for the tip on the post office at Big C. Yesterday I picked a number at the main office.......serving 450, my number was 480. I went to the Srisuk office, one person in front of me. But the Big C office is on my way to town.....I'll have to give them a try in the future.

read
udonmap.com

Post by read » April 20, 2012, 5:27 pm

Bit of a 'how long is a length of string' question but does anyone have any experience of getting 'registered' post from the UK.
A letter's been posted to me today and I would appreciate a rough idea of when it may be delivered.

GENTLEY
udonmap.com

Post by GENTLEY » April 21, 2012, 12:22 pm

Read, my last registered mail from UK last month took a week however recently I was expecting mail from the UK and finally received it on 18/04/12.

Looking on the rear of the envelope Udon Central Post Office, where they receive incoming mail, date stamp it on arrival. Mine was stamped 04/04/12 so i've complained to them asking where it was for 2 weeks.

Not holding my breath on a reply but maybe get one.

read
udonmap.com

Post by read » April 21, 2012, 6:59 pm

Thanks 'G' - that's a long time to remain at the Udon PO - maybe something to do with all the water splashing going on!
Hope you get an explanation! Thanks again for the info!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 21, 2012, 7:25 pm

Unfortunately, for the Udon Post Office it is not an inordinate time.

A package from Australia to my PO box in Ban Dung also spent 2 weeks (confirmed by PO stamps) in the UPO black hole not so long ago - and it had nothing to do with Songkran.

My hypothesis is that the staff in there are either terribly slack, or just plain lazy - take your pick. :shock:

read
udonmap.com

Post by read » April 26, 2012, 4:01 pm

read wrote:Bit of a 'how long is a length of string' question but does anyone have any experience of getting 'registered' post from the UK.
A letter's been posted to me today and I would appreciate a rough idea of when it may be delivered.

Pleased to say the letter arrived today ( 6 days including the weekend!!)- it was from my UK bank and contained my new/replacement visa card that I stupidly left in the local bank here in Nong Hans ATM - the clowns immediately cut it in half!!). Unfortunately I now find that my old PIN number has to be replaced too ( I mistakenly thought PIN numbers carried on to new/replacement cards) - to do that I now have to notify the bank of receipt of card and await a further letter containing the new PIN number enclosed upon a slip of paper - 'which has to be memorised and immediately destroyed'!!!!!!!

The card left in machine incident happened on 2nd April - long time no ATM card is annoying to say the least - now long time with ATM card but no PIN is just the bee's knees!!! My local Thai friends tell me that Thai banks issue new cards and PIN's in just a matter of minutes ----- yeah right!!!!

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » April 26, 2012, 5:06 pm

The card left in machine incident happened on 2nd April - long time no ATM card is annoying to say the least - now long time with ATM card but no PIN is just the bee's knees!!! My local Thai friends tell me that Thai banks issue new cards and PIN's in just a matter of minutes ----- yeah right!!!!
Don't know for certain about replacement cards, but for a new account they do it in about 10 minutes.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 26, 2012, 5:12 pm

rick wrote:
Don't know for certain about replacement cards, but for a new account they do it in about 10 minutes.
Based on my most recent experience, to replace my out-of-date Kasikorn ATM card, that was about right. Only problem was it took about 2 days waiting in the bank to get to the counter. :D

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » April 26, 2012, 5:16 pm

Hi,
Read. It was your fault.The bank where you left your card, will make it impossable for anyone to use. ie. cutting it in half. A pin number will be carried over to a new card, unless you have lost your card. People have ways of reading cards, this is for your own safety. This is why i always say DO NOT hand over your card to anyone, they should have a machine that in a rest. they bring to your table, you put your card in it and then your pin number. I contacted my bank about a lost card once. Used phone. Was told that they will not deliever a card outside of the country it was issued in, this was in Britain. They sent my card to my daughters address, which she recieved the next day. My daughter then posted the card to me in LOS, i recieved it within 5 days, and was up and running then.
Always have a backup card. It is for your own benifitt. I have a debit and credit card from my own bank and a ATM card trom a Thai bank. Also saves on the 150B thet is charged for using a non Thai card.

read
udonmap.com

Post by read » April 26, 2012, 5:43 pm

douglas wrote:Hi,
Read. It was your fault.The bank where you left your card, will make it impossable for anyone to use. ie. cutting it in half. A pin number will be carried over to a new card, unless you have lost your card. People have ways of reading cards, this is for your own safety. This is why i always say DO NOT hand over your card to anyone, they should have a machine that in a rest. they bring to your table, you put your card in it and then your pin number. I contacted my bank about a lost card once. Used phone. Was told that they will not deliever a card outside of the country it was issued in, this was in Britain. They sent my card to my daughters address, which she recieved the next day. My daughter then posted the card to me in LOS, i recieved it within 5 days, and was up and running then.
Always have a backup card. It is for your own benifitt. I have a debit and credit card from my own bank and a ATM card trom a Thai bank. Also saves on the 150B thet is charged for using a non Thai card.

Douglas, yes I agree, completely my fault and the PIN precautions are of course understandable.

read
udonmap.com

Post by read » May 5, 2012, 9:34 am

Everything sorted out as of Thursday 3rd May!
I have received 4 letters from the UK - first class airmail and each has taken exactly 7 days to reach me.

Greg Ledder
udonmap.com

Post by Greg Ledder » July 1, 2012, 9:34 pm

Ok guys 'n' gals- here's one for ya......and it might seem a little weird...... :mrgreen:

I have a really nice Cutlery set - a family heirloom if you will - that I would like to send to the Udon area as I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't be allowed to take it on a plane with out being leaped on by a multitude of security personnel...all eager to shoot me on the spot........ [-X :mrgreen:

If I posted it via Royal mail from Blighty, a) would the package be allowed into Thailand and b) would it be subject to customs duty even though it is not a new item?

Any advice would be much appreciated!! :D

Many thanks,

Greg :D

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » July 1, 2012, 10:49 pm

Greg

You would be far ahead of the game by simply including the cutlery set in your CHECKED luggage. I usually carry two different Swiss Army knives with me when I travel and ALWAYS place them in my CHECKED luggage without a problem.

Mailing it to Thailand would be ok BUT you would be taking a chance with the Customs people as I'm pretty sure they would levy a tax if they catch it. As best I can determine the Customs people do not check every package entering the country by mail. I've ordered lots of things from many different countries and sometimes I'm taxed and sometimes I'm not.

Hope this helps.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Greg Ledder
udonmap.com

Post by Greg Ledder » July 1, 2012, 11:50 pm

fdimike wrote:Greg

You would be far ahead of the game by simply including the cutlery set in your CHECKED luggage. I usually carry two different Swiss Army knives with me when I travel and ALWAYS place them in my CHECKED luggage without a problem.

Mailing it to Thailand would be ok BUT you would be taking a chance with the Customs people as I'm pretty sure they would levy a tax if they catch it. As best I can determine the Customs people do not check every package entering the country by mail. I've ordered lots of things from many different countries and sometimes I'm taxed and sometimes I'm not.

Hope this helps.
Hi Mike,

Many thanks for the help - I'm surprised that knives of any kind are allowed - forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by 'Checked' luggage - is it the luggage you carry on to the plane?

Cheers,

Greg. :D

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » July 2, 2012, 6:31 am

Greg

Checked luggage is your large suitcase which you turn in at the ticket counter when you checkin for the flight.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » July 2, 2012, 6:33 am

Greg

You can't carry any kind of knife on board the plane but you CAN place a cutlery set in your checked luggage. If in doubt just contact the airline.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 2, 2012, 8:36 am

Whenever my wife and I return from a trip to the US, we always bring back a weapon capable of doing serious bodily harm. Kitchen knives are my wife's favorite collectible, after frying pans. We put the knife in one of our checked in suitcases......never a problem.

As for customs and 'used/old' items. My cousin sent a large box of old toys/used clothes to donate to some poor folks here. Customs tagged it for 800 baht in duty. Not much the folks at the post office can do about it.......by the time the package arrives in Udon, the damage is done. Either you pay the piper or you don't get your package.

Greg Ledder
udonmap.com

Post by Greg Ledder » July 2, 2012, 3:26 pm

Many thanks guys - very helpful and my apologies for the 'Checked' Luggage question - I thought about it afterwards and realised what a dumb question it was.......

Any road up.....will pack the Cutlery set in my Suitcase rather than send it by post!!

Cheers,

Greg

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”