Snakes?

General Udon Thani topics only!
kopkei
udonmap.com

Re: Snakes?

Post by kopkei » March 13, 2023, 11:59 am

yep looks as fatbob says a rat snake , non poisonous , can be very aggressive though..
maybe one like this https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/flori ... -ratsnake/ ;)

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » March 13, 2023, 1:19 pm

kopkei wrote:
March 13, 2023, 11:59 am
yep looks as fatbob says a rat snake , non poisonous , can be very aggressive though..
maybe one like this https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/flori ... -ratsnake/ ;)
Here the species is the Indochinese Ratsnake, not like the US one you picture. They can be aggresive if cornered or threatened, we had a resident one about 8 foot long that hung around for a year, it always woke me up when he popped out of the garden....

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 13, 2023, 4:08 pm

Dont think I would have risked sleeping in the garden with any 8 ft snake around (dangerous or not)

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » March 13, 2023, 5:45 pm

This is a photo of Rat Snake. If individual Cobra, white bands up to end of body. Rat snake has black bands. And body color mostly grey or almost black.
IMG_7528.JPG
I have seen black on olive also.
black on olive.JPG
Please do not remember this, because you need to know width also. Black on yellow is not nice to meet in dark. During daytime it tries to hide head -like ostriches. To be honest, if choose from those two, I choose Banded Krait during daytime.
pupils hidden.JPG
For one previous comment... I have been fishing several years and fresh fish means that, after made fillet and starting to fry, fillet jumps, tries to swim and moves very active. No brains, but body remembers. Same with snakes. You can cut head off, please use tongs or wait, because that lonely head can bite. So, 100% dead snake is definitely not safe soon after killed.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » March 13, 2023, 6:48 pm

eagle wrote:
March 13, 2023, 5:45 pm
To be honest, if choose from those two, I choose Banded Krait during daytime.pupils hidden.JPG

For one previous comment... I have been fishing several years and fresh fish means that, after made fillet and starting to fry, fillet jumps, tries to swim and moves very active. No brains, but body remembers. Same with snakes. You can cut head off, please use tongs or wait, because that lonely head can bite. So, 100% dead snake is definitely not safe soon after killed.
The banded krait is one of the most venomous snakes in Thailand, you would prefer to come across a harmless rat snake???
There is never any reason to kill any snake, leave them be, or call the local Orbitor so they can catch and release.

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » March 14, 2023, 7:47 pm

fatbob wrote:
March 13, 2023, 6:48 pm
eagle wrote:
March 13, 2023, 5:45 pm
To be honest, if choose from those two, I choose Banded Krait during daytime.pupils hidden.JPG

The banded krait is one of the most venomous snakes in Thailand, you would prefer to come across a harmless rat snake???
There is never any reason to kill any snake, leave them be, or call the local Orbitor so they can catch and release.
Ratsnake is much more active during daytime. Krait hides at least head. During those photos we took, snake only did hide itself. Best numbers to call are 1669 and 191.

Most snakes try to avoid us, and some do it properly.

Two photos related to relocating snakes. 1st shows the difficulty, because snake can not climb out -really. I had to help offering a stick to climb. Other photo shows that sometimes there are more than just one snake. We had once a kukri, racer and rat snake in our kitchen. You can guess our feelings before we identified all. And big one of course was last one.
Attachments
IMG_8486.JPG
IMG_8693.JPG

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 30, 2023, 10:14 am

An Oriental Rat Snake (งูสิงดง) came to visit yesterday afternoon. At the time, I did not know these large snakes are harmless to humans so we called the Khon Kaen snake patrol to get rid of it. Luckily, our 3-month old puppy was inside the house or it would have been done for.

https://bangkokherps.wordpress.com/2011 ... rat-snake/
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » March 30, 2023, 10:26 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
March 30, 2023, 10:14 am
An Oriental Rat Snake (งูสิงดง) came to visit yesterday afternoon. At the time, I did not know these large snakes are harmless to humans so we called the Khon Kaen snake patrol to get rid of it. Luckily, our 3-month old puppy was inside the house or it would have been done for.

https://bangkokherps.wordpress.com/2011 ... rat-snake/
Your 3 month old puppy would have been fine, Rat snakes are NON venomous, harmless, and a protected species and they will keep rodents down, the snake would have been in more danger from a dog...

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 30, 2023, 11:07 am

That's great to know. I understand these snakes eat squirrels, which is about the size of our 2 kg. puppy. And, this was a large snake. The next time one visits, I will try to be a better host.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » March 30, 2023, 5:40 pm

I doubt that a.squirrel would weigh even one kilo. I wish we had a big rat snake, as the damn things eat half our coconuts.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 30, 2023, 9:26 pm

Squirrel traipsing through jungle and meets another animal.

Animal ' you have a bushy tail, prominent front teeth and are carrying a nut, I think you are a squirrel.

' You have no hair, no ears and a scaly skin, I think you are Nicky Lauder'
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 31, 2023, 9:43 am

I can't be bothered to look him/her up. Who is Nicky Lauder?

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » March 31, 2023, 1:34 pm

Niki Lauda - an Austrian racing driver from the '70s who was badly burnt in a car accident.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 31, 2023, 1:59 pm

Earnest wrote:
March 31, 2023, 1:34 pm
Niki Lauda - an Austrian racing driver from the '70s who was badly burnt in a car accident.
That's sad.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”