UPS/FEDEX

General Udon Thani topics only!
jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: UPS/FEDEX

Post by jackspratt » September 3, 2020, 3:42 pm

My bank sent a new credit card via DHL recently, and it arrived in under 1 week. They even delivered it to the noodle shop where I was having lunch, about 1km out of town.

Meanwhile, I am still waiting for ordinary mail sent from Oz as far back as April.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » September 3, 2020, 4:37 pm

Have you got a tracking number for that mail?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 3, 2020, 5:30 pm

There was no tracking number for the DHL envelope. I was expecting one, but the package (an A4 size plastic envelope, with the bank envelope + card inside) arrived first.

The other 2 unreceived letters were both send by ordinary mail, so no tracking.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » September 3, 2020, 10:11 pm

UPS and Fedex and I think DSL are in bed with Thai customs. When buying something online, I instruct the seller NOT to use these companies. This week I got hit with a 580 baht customs charge for a cue stick from China. I didn't know they were going to use these greedy people. I once ordered vitamins from the US and the customs tax was more than the vitamins cost.

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » September 3, 2020, 10:52 pm

Been caught the same with them.. Used airmiles to get a present for my wife and the duty was more than what the gift would have cost. This happened twice.
Found that using Royal Mail much better.
I've had a lot of items sent from China with no problems and no duty.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » June 24, 2021, 7:31 pm

What company would be the best to send a document to the US with tracking? DHL, Fedex, UPS?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 24, 2021, 8:24 pm

^ Thailand Post international tracked EMS

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 24, 2021, 9:13 pm

wazza wrote:
May 27, 2009, 1:50 pm
Marmite

Pls detail your experiences and circumstances, as i have used DHL for 20 years ,

If you bring anything into another country , you are subject to local Customs Clearance, if they smell a rat, or its attracts excise, they are entittled to charge you for the item
They are entitled to make a reasonable charge for clearance on top of the customs fees, but nobody would consider a 7,000 baht clearance fee remotely reasonable.

DHL for any goods are a crapshoot in Thailand and yes they are thieves and lying tow rags.
For documents (probably) and in other countries the situation is different.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Post by LoneTraveler » June 25, 2021, 9:20 am

tamada wrote:
June 24, 2021, 8:24 pm
^ Thailand Post international tracked EMS
My experience, Thailand Post EMS is good used many times to send documents to US. However, recently their prices have gone up significantly to send documents/packages overseas. They are good domestically (within Thailand) as well.
I use Fedex to have documents shipped from the US and have recently began using them because USPS took 12 days for a document to reach me when I paid 1-3 days priority express. Fedex rates and all other carries have increased their rates to ship to Thailand. I paid $156.00 US to have a new debit and credit card sent to me.

And I agree that DHL is not a good option considering I paid 3000 baht duty on an order that cost 3000 baht from amazon. Never used them again.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » June 25, 2021, 10:35 am

Where are the offices for DHL and Fedex?

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » June 25, 2021, 11:00 am

Mak Google is a wonderous tool or a search using Udonmaps search tool

https://www.udonmap.com/en/component/mt ... urier.html

and

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/u ... t4707.html

anefarious1
udonmap.com

Post by anefarious1 » June 25, 2021, 11:08 am

mak wrote:
June 25, 2021, 10:35 am
UPS is at Nong Samrong just off Ring Road. Compared to DHL, which is near the bus station at Central Plaza, UPS has much MUCH better customer service.

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » June 25, 2021, 11:11 am

anefarious1 wrote:
June 25, 2021, 11:08 am
mak wrote:
UPS is at Nong Samrong just off Ring Road. Compared to DHL, which is near the bus station at Central Plaza, UPS has much MUCH better customer service.
completely agree about ups on nong samrong is excellent . i use them for everything going overseas including official documents .
"Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." - Ephesians 6:11

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » June 25, 2021, 11:22 am

I don't think FEDEX has an office in Udon.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

anefarious1
udonmap.com

Post by anefarious1 » June 25, 2021, 11:44 am

Declan MacPherson wrote:
June 25, 2021, 11:11 am
anefarious1 wrote:
June 25, 2021, 11:08 am
mak wrote:
completely agree about ups on nong samrong is excellent . i use them for everything going overseas including official documents .
The woman who runs it is very nice and very helpful. When you go inside the operation looks sort of pathetic but she gets the job done! She can even print return postage for you if you need it (like if an embassy is returning documents to you) but DHL won't do that in my experience.

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Post by LoneTraveler » June 25, 2021, 12:22 pm

fdimike wrote:
June 25, 2021, 11:22 am
I don't think FEDEX has an office in Udon.
FedEx in Udon for outgoing documents/packages, I think you have to call and they will come pickup using a subsidiary to transport to their Office. For incoming to Thailand, they ship to Bangkok and then use Thailand EMS for disbursement to other provinces. A person left some great information here along with links to the various carriers and for that I thank him.
As for UPS, I used them before and the lady was very helpful, she met me at the post office because my document was addressed to a post office box which they do not deliver too.

This latest topic has offered some great advice and links especially the locations of the various carriers. I have bookmarked for future reference.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » June 25, 2021, 1:24 pm

UPS is definitely my "go to" for shipping anything important. However, you must have a physical address for UPS as they will not deliver to a P.O. Box. Unfortunately, UPS is also quite expensive but extremely reliable. I've used Thai EMS in the past for international shipment but was very disappointed as I was unable to track the package once it hit the US. Thai Registered Airmail although slow is an affordable and safe way to send documents/small parcels to overseas locations. I've received FEDEX packages here which are routed through the main post office to EMS for delivery.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

runrunshaw
udonmap.com

Post by runrunshaw » June 26, 2021, 8:36 am

I have used all services many times here over the years sending and receiving packages, important documents, or official documents. UPS is by far, all things considered, my top choice. The lady who runs it is named Gae and I have her line account. So it's easy to set everything up in advance, and as soon as an incoming package arrives she will call you and deliver to wherever you happen to be. Actually, she runs the operation with her husband. It's a very funky office but who cares, the service is great. My advice would be to call first before going to the office as occasionally both her and her husband are out on deliveries or pickups.
The best gadget is the human brain.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » June 26, 2021, 9:44 am

I too have used most parcel carriers but shipping worldwide from the UK in my previous life.
You pay a bit more for UPS but it was worth it for the tracking. I’ve contacted them on web chat before, which I think is based out of the US & they’ve been able to tell me the exact GPS location of the truck containing the package I was querying.
The only drawback I found was everything is above board & I couldn’t sneak product under the radar without paying import duties in some countries. Jobsworths, eh? 😉
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

tscherer

Post by tscherer » December 31, 2023, 2:29 pm

Can someone please tell me the ADDRESS of the UPS office in Udon ( or the Google map location). PLEASE?

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”