newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Dual Pricing

Post by newtovillagelife » January 14, 2017, 5:16 am

Armyvet
udonmap.com

Re: Dual Pricing

Post by Armyvet » January 14, 2017, 10:07 am

Normally if my DL is not accepted for the Thai price I refuse to pay the farang price. Yes, I understand the ticket seller has no leeway on the ticket prices, or do they? There have been times when the refusal has brought a reconsideration and I was allowed entrance at the Thai price.
I try to shop at places with known fixed prices, Big C, Central Mall and restaurants with printed menus'.
One guy did get to me. A short fellow that does shoes repair and apparently worked at the AFB during the VN war. Took a shoe for stretching and he charged 50 TB, fair enough. I had a pair of boots dyed, he painted them. I returned them and complained, he sheepishly agreed to do them right and did. Another time I took a shoe to be stretched, 200 TB. I was not happy and asked him why the increase. His answer was, "I have little money, you have big money". I assured him he had just received the last of my big money. Yes, the article points out well how they think.
Attachments
image009_2.jpg

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » January 14, 2017, 10:21 am

Really do not know what type of scam you would call this one went Central Plaza yesterday I wanted a small carry bag the only place I could find one was the shop that sells suitcases as well two prices on the ticket 2899 baht promotion price 1250 baht took out my debit card and then the price was changed to 2000 baht paid him with cash and also gave him a mouthful about scamming farlangs, he made sure he took the price tag off before I left.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » January 14, 2017, 1:33 pm

macca46 wrote:Really do not know what type of scam you would call this one went Central Plaza yesterday I wanted a small carry bag the only place I could find one was the shop that sells suitcases as well two prices on the ticket 2899 baht promotion price 1250 baht took out my debit card and then the price was changed to 2000 baht paid him with cash and also gave him a mouthful about scamming farlangs, he made sure he took the price tag off before I left.
Should have bought it inside at Robinsons perhaps

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » January 14, 2017, 6:34 pm

one of the first thing you need to learn when you come stay in los is the real thai prices of items you want to buy ...
the first and most common big mistakes that people make is compare prices with their home country ...
the second mistake is western thinking ...., what i notice several times in fe the home building topics...
ridiculous prices because having no clue what thai people pay ,also for labour,and using unnecessary imported heavy taxed goods of which they think will improve their home and value ...wrong again ...
when i need to buy or do something i always do a little bit of marketing search what has earned me all ready a lot money , so mostly when i want to buy i know almost exactly what the reasonable real price of the item is and if they ask (way) too much , i do not make a fuss (will think kamoi,) and go elsewhere ....
at most parks or other attractions in los , i show my thai driver license and also pay the thai price , if not , i also will go elsewhere...but all this is according to your own preferences , i know many people whom do not mind pay (a lot) more , bottom point , as long as you are happy and stay happy ...no ploblem ....
good luck to all and do not pay to much ....;)

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » January 14, 2017, 7:09 pm

I am happy to go and visit Europe with my wife. I am EU citizen and I can get discount or even go free to some places. My wife is Thai and she has to pay 15-30 euros fee. Never mind which European country, citizen/resident get a discount or free access to places, where tourist have to pay.

Should I blame Thailand, that when living here, I have to do same as Thai people do in Europe? Pay, when residents get same free? In fact many Thai places give discount, if I can proof to be a resident in Thailand.

Dual pricing is extremely bad, when we farangs come to Thailand. When Thai comes to our country, it is very acceptable -or is it? I believe system here does not change before Europe/USA etc. have changed their systems for tourists.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 14, 2017, 7:16 pm

When I go to the Grand Palace or a government park, I don't have a problem with the dual pricing. In most cases at government parks, I've been charged the Thai rate once I flash a Thai driver's license. In one case, I just opted out of entering and let the others in the group go in.
Having been here for a number of years, I have a pretty good idea what the prices are, especially in markets. I rarely ever feel like I'm being cheated in a fresh foods market. It's easy enough to ask the price of produce from two or more vendors to get an idea of price......or listen to what others are paying. Invariably, they're going to ask "Lola tao rai".......or a bastardization of 'how much per kilo'.
Recently I went to one of the many pharmacies in Nongwahsaw to buy some hydrogen peroxide. I've bought probably a hundred bottles of the stuff over the years. The guy said '50 baht'....which I full well knew was near double the price. Okay, I was in a rush........I paid my 50 baht and will never return to that pharmacy again. His loss, not mine. A week or so later, I went to a different pharmacy, also in Nongwahsaw to buy another bottle of H2O2......25 baht.
Ultimately, you can price most anything by going to the Name stores....Big C, Tesco, Makro, Boots, P&J, Tops.....and see what every Tom, Dick, and Daeng is paying.
The worst offenders are some of the hardware stores.......in downtown Udon......run the old-fashion way with no prices. I've learned over the years, sometimes the hard way, which are honest and which aren't. Again, their loss. Anyway, they'll all be dinosaurs before much longer, IMO.

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » January 14, 2017, 7:44 pm

When the kids were smaller, we'd take them to the Bangkok theme parks like Dream World, Safari World etc which all seemed to have dual pricing. As we approached the area with the turnstiles Mrs N would jump out with the kids & go buy tickets while I parked the car. When ferang walked round the corner & was given his Thai price ticket by a smirking Mrs N the ticket sellers faces were always a picture but they never said anything.
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » January 14, 2017, 9:08 pm

The floating market in Hua Hin is a nice scam.

200 baht for entry..all signs in english and chinese None in Thai.

I just show the Thai licence and rejected.. so did a U turn and proceeded to walk out. Soon admitted.

Chinese Korean bus tours get stung. U Even see the tour guide get the kick back 2 mins after 35 have paid.

RCA pub strip. 400 for non Thais.

When i discuss with Thais about dual price entrance fees I always ask if they are prepared to pay the same in Australia. But i represent it as 300% .

Next...

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » January 14, 2017, 9:25 pm

wazza wrote:The floating market in Hua Hin is a nice scam.

200 baht for entry..all signs in english and chinese None in Thai.

I just show the Thai licence and rejected.. so did a U turn and proceeded to walk out. Soon admitted.

Chinese Korean bus tours get stung. U Even see the tour guide get the kick back 2 mins after 35 have paid.

RCA pub strip. 400 for non Thais.

When i discuss with Thais about dual price entrance fees I always ask if they are prepared to pay the same in Australia. But i represent it as 300% .

Next...
How about EU residents getting a discount or free entry and same time Thai or any tourist outside EU paying full price. Very soon outside EU, Westminster Abbey wants tourist to pay, but resident goes free. I go free to some places in Europe and my Thai wife pays 20 euros. But that is normal situation and given to EU residents, not a scam. Here in Thailand it is called as a scam.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » January 15, 2017, 4:25 am

Looking at things another way, if you are a victim of this dual pricing, the anger and frustration you feel gives you a slight insight into how it feels to be discriminated against. Of course as foreigners here we do not have equal rights.

Armyvet
udonmap.com

Post by Armyvet » January 15, 2017, 10:41 am

There have been at least 2 or 3 occasions where I wanted to buy something that had a Sale tag but when going to check out the price went up. Reason? The sale finished but we forgot to change the tag. Okay, I will pay the Sale price or call the police. In one case I think it was the truth and the staff was going crazy trying to figure out what to do so I told them to call their head office which they did and after a long conversation I paid the Sale price. The other times the Sale price was agreed to quickly. My wife said a Thai would never do what I do in a situation like that, they would just pay. I think that alone explains a lot.
We aren't always dealing with crooks, sometimes they just aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » January 15, 2017, 10:52 am

I see Dual Pricing as a definition . That is when there is an advertised admission fee which is inflated for non Thai citizens. I am ok for The Grand Palace. Due to.its cultural significance

Other issues such as increased prices at markets . Small business shops etc. I just call price gouging. Price oportunities. Taking advantage of a perceived higher payer. Using language challenges to cause confusion. Hand over 100 baht anyway perhaps. But the change isnt reflected correctly

The example above ..price tags etc Poor internal procedures

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » January 15, 2017, 11:41 am

I think that i would add a third component to this DUAL PRICING ... i.e. wrong scanned prices...
which is much more prevalent than anyone would suspect..
This component is much more difficult to spot, unless you are first aware of the exact price,
and second that you pay close attention when the clerk will scan the item.
The problem is wide spread at all major stores Big C, Makro, Tesco, Tops.
At Big C i scan almost .every item before going to the cashier..
At Makro at check the sale slip before leaving the cashier area, should i find an error
i report it immediately and due to long queue it quite unpleasant for all involved.
Just this week i bought 3 items at Tops, 2 out of 3 had wrong price scanned at point of sale.
Employees are either not allowed to modify the price or are not trained to do it,
so they must call the manager, a pain in the ....... Same situation at all stores

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » January 15, 2017, 8:47 pm

kulsungkham
udonmap.com

Post by kulsungkham » January 15, 2017, 9:04 pm

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » January 15, 2017, 9:14 pm

wazza wrote:UK Tourist tax in Bath ??

http://www.news.com.au/travel/world-tra ... 954b98824a
We've got a house there so happy to rent out a room so visitors can avoid the contribution :-"
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » January 15, 2017, 9:18 pm

I dont see these taxes as dual pricing .

Airport taxes are then included etx...

I see the dual price issue for admission to sites. Venues etc

A pom or an aussie staying in Bath or Byron Bay still pays the tax.

felixcat
udonmap.com

Post by felixcat » January 16, 2017, 5:32 pm

About 15 years ago, was at the Boarder from Chaing Rai to Burma?
Didn't want to enter, just to eat.
The signs said "Thai 25 tb, Falong 35 tb"

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”