My saddest picture of the year in Thailand (CAUTION: Graphic content)

General Udon Thani topics only!
Liam Dale
udonmap.com

My saddest picture of the year in Thailand (CAUTION: Graphic content)

Post by Liam Dale » December 7, 2016, 12:01 pm

RIP little one.. some day the education system will improve and find its way onto the open road.
SAD PIC.jpg

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Re: My saddest picture of the year in Thailand.

Post by vincemunday » December 7, 2016, 2:00 pm

This is so awful, I hate the way the parents use the kids as air bags, the way they wear crash helmets but don't bother with the kids. I know some people can't afford cars but this is just dreadful.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Liam Dale
udonmap.com

Post by Liam Dale » December 7, 2016, 3:43 pm

Totally agree Vince - its my pet hate. These children STANDING tween two parents on a scoot.. or as you say.. up front airbags.. and NO hats. 200 baht prob for a piece of rubbish.. but rarely seen.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 7, 2016, 5:34 pm

Not sure what point you are trying to make here on an expat forum. Sensationalistic carnage photos which there are hundreds are what the Thais love. Don't know about expats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

magpie73
udonmap.com

Post by magpie73 » December 7, 2016, 6:00 pm

Liam Dale how would you like to see your daughter plastered over the Internet have some respect man as much as this happens day in day out in thailand no one like's these kind of photo's just remember a family has lost a daughter husband son just plain wrong

Liam Dale
udonmap.com

Post by Liam Dale » December 7, 2016, 6:01 pm

Its a valid point in a forum Barney. As an ex pat journalist and TV producer I've made over 2,000 hours of documentaries and over the years realised that the gentlest way to guide people to new learnings wasn't to "educate".. but to "enlighten". This IS my saddest photo of 2016 in Thailand - expressed here because without any consideration of sensationalism one valid contribution we expats can make is to buy helmets for our extended families and those about us (neighbours et al) and encourage their use. I have a colleague considering the costs of lightweight kevlar helmets made for kids - I guess this image and post was a pre-emptive strike before we reveal more. Just sayin'.

Liam Dale
udonmap.com

Post by Liam Dale » December 7, 2016, 6:07 pm

I hear you Magpie. But UdonMap is not a plastering over the internet. Its a captured audience of ex pats who have mostly had the benefit of better educations and training. If ONE of us gets through to a family we know and gets hats on kids heads.. for me that makes taking a bit of QQ on the chin worthwhile. My last comment. Time to move on. If UM thinks this is an inappropriate thread Im sure they will knock it down.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 7, 2016, 6:14 pm

I really do not see how buying a helmet for a neighbour/cousin etc will make an 'appeth of difference. Many (if not most) already have helmets ....... you only have to stand 100 metres from a police checkpoint to watch them all stop, take the helmet out of the seat and place it on their heads before proceeding.
What is needed is the same as happened in the UK the police to enforce the law at all times, and make it so as it is financially beneficial to the rider to wear the helmet (ie it costs tooo much and the fines are too often).

Liam Dale
udonmap.com

Post by Liam Dale » December 7, 2016, 6:23 pm

PERFECTLY said Stat.. I wish the police force would totally hammer the helmetless kid carriers.. As the UK is finally doing with mobile phone users at the helm at last.

However.. if I can part with a few hundred baht and see a family THINK.. its ALL I can contribute to this endemic problem. My point here tho is the lack of KIDDY helmets.. I see so very few. Just an adult size wobbling about occasionally on a small head.

Today tho.. appreciating the police have finally been issued with more 300cc motorcycles.. i followed one of the worse Ive seen.. he had his unstrapped helmet balanced cockily on his head, ON his mobile phone.. failing to turn off his left turn indicator and suddenly swung right and u turned in front of me. Not a police emergency.. as he pootled afterwards..

Only replying cos I respect and enjoy statto's forum contributions.. at least there is now a small debate! I'm out.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 7, 2016, 6:36 pm

I've spent well over 10 years trying to get all my family to wear helmets. I insist that my 7 yr old daughter always wears hers (at least until she is out of my sight I suppose). About 3 weeks ago my misses returned home wearing a new blue and red helmet. When questioned her answer was that her cousin "borrowed" and forgot to return hers that morning, and when she saw a police check she stopped the bike, nipped into the shop and bought the new one for B350 instead of paying the B400 fine.

She couldn't understand why I wasn't really pleased that she had been so clever :roll:

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » December 8, 2016, 6:41 pm

Liam Dale wrote:Its a valid point in a forum Barney. As an ex pat journalist and TV producer I've made over 2,000 hours of documentaries and over the years realised that the gentlest way to guide people to new learnings wasn't to "educate".. but to "enlighten". This IS my saddest photo of 2016 in Thailand - expressed here because without any consideration of sensationalism one valid contribution we expats can make is to buy helmets for our extended families and those about us (neighbours et al) and encourage their use. I have a colleague considering the costs of lightweight kevlar helmets made for kids - I guess this image and post was a pre-emptive strike before we reveal more. Just sayin'.
You know I bought a helmet for a little one here. The kid refused to wear it and the parents didn't stand firm. I don't want anyone on my bike without a helmet nor a person in my car without a seat belt on. But, that is just me can't answer for others beliefs in luck. I to have been amazed that every adult will be wearing a helmet and the children are not.

You know I turn 70 next month I have came to the conclusion the only in life I can control is me.

I agree a very sad picture
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

Liam Dale
udonmap.com

Re: My saddest picture of the year in Thailand (CAUTION: Graphic content)

Post by Liam Dale » December 8, 2016, 6:47 pm

Result Bumper. We can all but try. Thank you for the understanding and have an excellent 70th.. May your knees never meet the tarmack..

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » December 9, 2016, 10:38 am

Thanks
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » December 9, 2016, 1:42 pm

Hard to look at but maybe it will make someone think.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 12, 2016, 3:34 pm

Not sure that it has anything to do with the thread on udonmap or not :lol: but my other 'arf has just told me it is a "big thing" at the moment (must be Line/facebook or TV soaps for her to know :-k ) that children are not allowed to stand at the front of a motorbike and act as airbags. If that's true perhaps ...... just perhaps, the message is starting to leak out beyond the passage that links the two ears =D> =D> =D>

waii waii
udonmap.com

Post by waii waii » December 21, 2016, 7:25 pm

Liam Dale wrote:PERFECTLY said Stat.. I wish the police force would totally hammer the helmetless kid carriers.. As the UK is finally doing with mobile phone users at the helm at last.

However.. if I can part with a few hundred baht and see a family THINK.. its ALL I can contribute to this endemic problem. My point here tho is the lack of KIDDY helmets.. I see so very few. Just an adult size wobbling about occasionally on a small head.

Today tho.. appreciating the police have finally been issued with more 300cc motorcycles.. i followed one of the worse Ive seen.. he had his unstrapped helmet balanced cockily on his head, ON his mobile phone.. failing to turn off his left turn indicator and suddenly swung right and u turned in front of me. Not a police emergency.. as he pootled afterwards..

Only replying cos I respect and enjoy statto's forum contributions.. at least there is now a small debate! I'm out.
You have been to mine and see where i live,when i have a coffee or 2 in the morning i sit on the balcony and look at all the kids with no helmets zooming past with and without adults,nearly all the ones with adults are standing in front as the air bag,it really gets me how you see 3 or 4 kids who look about 10 years old roaring down the street on a scooter going to school,not a single one with a helmet and usually the 2 or 3 passengers all looking at their mobiles...meat rockets is a term i have heard a lot for these types...

Liam Dale
udonmap.com

Post by Liam Dale » December 21, 2016, 7:49 pm

THIS is at least some action by relevant authorities. Sadly doesnt focus on kids though.

http://news.sanook.com/2136678/

waii waii wrote:
Liam Dale wrote:PERFECTLY said Stat.. I wish the police force would totally hammer the helmetless kid carriers.. As the UK is finally doing with mobile phone users at the helm at last.

You have been to mine and see where i live,when i have a coffee or 2 in the morning i sit on the balcony and look at all the kids with no helmets zooming past with and without adults,nearly all the ones with adults are standing in front as the air bag,it really gets me how you see 3 or 4 kids who look about 10 years old roaring down the street on a scooter going to school,not a single one with a helmet and usually the 2 or 3 passengers all looking at their mobiles...meat rockets is a term i have heard a lot for these types...

Liam Dale
udonmap.com

Post by Liam Dale » December 21, 2016, 7:59 pm

HAT.jpg
But at least I can conclude my small contribution here with a much better picture than the thread started. Who knows where it might lead to.. Just sayin'.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 21, 2016, 10:17 pm

I wonder if older westerners watching older western movies of kids riding bikes without helmets wonder, "wtf were they thinking?" Or grandpa with a cigar or pipe in his mouth reading a children's book with his granddaughter on his knee. I don't approve of anyone using a 125 cc motorcycle as a Dodge Caravan or a Formula 1 sportscaster or a balancing beam for junior........but I recognize that most every Thai 12 or older knows someone who's been splat on the street......and thus choose their own fate by choosing to not wear a helmet.............not much different than the mid-age Harley riders that I see in Texas with a bandana wrapped around their skull for protection. As for the kids standing between mom and dad..........That's just sad to see.

Liam Dale
udonmap.com

Post by Liam Dale » December 22, 2016, 9:42 am

I concur parrot.. cept the mid age harley riders KNOW the risks.. the children in these 2 featured pictures are totally dependent on adult "judgement" to protect their lives. It wasnt their call. That's me done here. :-)

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”