Internet question for the techies

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
glalt
udonmap.com

Internet question for the techies

Post by glalt » October 23, 2016, 11:28 am

Out here in the boonies, we have no 4G nor do we have telephone lines. My True Internet simply quit working. I had used it for several years with no problems. True insisted that the problem was with my air card and told me to buy a new 4G MiFi hotspot. To make a long story short, still no Internet. I came to the conclusion that True has a bunch of morons working for them.

I have changed to AIS and it may not be perfect but it works. Now the question. The new 4G MiFi hotspot is a Netgear. It shows the connection to be DC. After surfing for what DC is, It is dual channel. It actually about doubles the normal speed. I like the extra speed but it seems to use up my GB allowance faster. Does using dual channel use twice the GB's to get twice the speed?

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Re: Internet question for the techies

Post by pf-flyer » October 23, 2016, 4:10 pm

I used an AIS 3G USB dongle for several years until 3BB ran a line to our village. I know how fast quotas can be used up.
I googled your hotspot and the hotspot has two Wi-Fi Bands. WiFi bands (2.4GHz and 5 GHz).
If your quota is being used up at a faster rate than normal you might want to check for any process on your PC doing updates in the background. You can get an idea of the traffic to and from your PC at the Network and Sharing center on your PC. Right click on the Ethernet connections and observe the activity of bytes sent and bytes received. If you are running Microsoft Windows you can go to the Task Manager ( Cntl, Alt ,Delete) press all three keys at the same time and you will be able to see what process are consuming up your pc resources also.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 24, 2016, 10:52 am

Don't give up hope. TOT has been pushing fiber to the villages over the past year.
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/bu ... s/30298231

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 24, 2016, 11:34 am

parrot wrote:Don't give up hope. TOT has been pushing fiber to the villages over the past year.
as soon as the guy in the office works out which is your cable he will get you connected :-"
Cables.jpg

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 24, 2016, 7:17 pm

glalt wrote:Now the question. The new 4G MiFi hotspot is a Netgear. It shows the connection to be DC. After surfing for what DC is, It is dual channel. It actually about doubles the normal speed. I like the extra speed but it seems to use up my GB allowance faster. Does using dual channel use twice the GB's to get twice the speed?
Yes it does.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 27, 2016, 11:50 am

Unfortunately this appears to be the case. I really couldn't figure out how I was using 40 GB in less than a month.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 27, 2016, 12:02 pm

If you are using Windows glalt then it might be worth your while downloading this (its free) & see what is using up your Internet allocation..

http://www.cucusoft.com/netguard.aspx

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 27, 2016, 12:11 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
parrot wrote:Don't give up hope. TOT has been pushing fiber to the villages over the past year.
as soon as the guy in the office works out which is your cable he will get you connected :-"

Cables.jpg
Strange you should mention the cable. A friend of mine was told about the new cable. He signed up for it and they promised to install it last Monday. Here it is Thursday and they haven't called him or shown up. He lives about two kilometers outside the village of Nong Hin. They didn't tell him which company has the cable.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 27, 2016, 12:29 pm

Probably using an engineer from Wang Sapang glait :yikes: (Irish joke with a Loie slant :-" )

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 28, 2016, 6:48 am

glalt wrote:Unfortunately this appears to be the case. I really couldn't figure out how I was using 40 GB in less than a month.
I'm a little bit confused as to why you think it's unfortunate?

If you like a slow connection limiting your usage then there are probably programs that can do that for you. Or just wait a little and as more users connect it will slow down again. =P~ Or use it from about 6pm to 10 or 11 and it will make molasses look fast :lol:

If you like the speed but don't want to overshoot the 40Gb then there are programs that will monitor usage and give warnings.

You may well be able to turn off the Dual Channel function either in the wifi base station or in your device.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 28, 2016, 8:51 am

I have quit using the Netgear and am back using the old 3G MiFi. My usage appears to be back to normal and the speed is OK for my use. Even though the speed test shows much slower, I really can't tell that much difference.

I'm down at my Jomtien condo right now and I loaned the Netgear MiFi to a friend upcountry who suffers slow speed. I haven't talked to him since I came down here. He will buy it from me if it helps his connection speed.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » January 2, 2017, 7:57 pm

Amazingly enough AIS now has 4G out here in the boonies where I live. I am now using the Netgear MiFi and it is showing 4G LTE. It is working great and my useage is normal and I no longer lose the 10GB bonus 4G.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”