beaten unconscious today at nong sim parc

Udon Thani news, views and comments
parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 12, 2016, 5:13 pm

You know about the crimes you know about and don't about the one's you don't (I think Rumsfeld said that). You hear about the crimes that happen at a place like Nong Sim, but often don't about the ones that happen in small-village-Thailand. I'm not saying Thailand or Udon is any safer or dangerous than anywhere else.......but as Phra Falang once said, "ไม่รู้อะไรสบาย" - Ignorance is bliss.

waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » February 12, 2016, 8:04 pm

Khun Paul wrote:May I ask that those who seem to know what the hell is going on with the local plod etc, keep their collective ears to the ground, as I fear unless we stay on top of this it will quietly disappear into bin 13 and never be heard of again. Those that know the victims offer our collective support, we want these lads and families to feel the anger and the experience the cost one way or another .
Would really like to see such collective support happen.

There is another aspect of this story of utmost relevance:
When that one guy who got a cardiac arrest arrived in hospital he got an infusion but that was all. They wanted to receive 200.000 before they would start further diagnostics. An accompanying friend knew that he had still a valid insurance from his homeland (travel health insurance) which was accepted by the hospital.

But what would happen if the victim would have had no health insurance? As it is so often the case. Hope everyone is prepared to pay 200.000 Baht in a couple of hours. I think in such cases where the police already got the offenders the community should take over the guarantee.

waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » February 12, 2016, 10:01 pm

A short add-on

Worst of all, however, the 74-year-old German Peter S. was attacked by the perpetrators last Wednesday, and later at the police station suffered a cardiac arrest. He is now, thanks to the efforts of his friends, in Bangkok Hospital in Udon Thani and is under intensive monitoring. The Udon Government Hospital had initially treated him, but refused further treatment without an advance payment of 200 thousand baht.

http://udon-news.com/en/news/attacks-on ... ame?src=na

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 13, 2016, 5:45 am

Ther question is did he visit Udon general or AEK, I thought it was AEK

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 13, 2016, 4:39 pm

There have been times I'm driving and see an ambulance with a faint siren and a multitude of cars that don't get out of the way........and I think, 'seconds count'. That's always concerned me.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » February 13, 2016, 5:18 pm

It may benefit those that are covered by private insurance to check in with the local hospitals to be sure that they are covered in case treatment is required. No one should have to be bounced around from hospital to hospital or held for ransom to receive treatment. Mr. Peter is lucky to have friends that were around to watch out for him.

Pooclover
udonmap.com
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack-bar sucking sickly sausage rolls

Post by Pooclover » February 13, 2016, 6:34 pm

Disgraceful treatment by the state hospital… He was attacked and beaten up by Thai nationals it’s not as if he had falling ill or had any part in the circumstance leading to his seeking treatment... [-X

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » February 13, 2016, 7:21 pm

What was the name of the Hospital that tried to charge before treat. Shocking and disgraceful treatment. If he passed away in there hospital because treatment was not administered who's taking the blame.

waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » February 13, 2016, 8:03 pm

vlad wrote:What was the name of the Hospital that tried to charge before treat. Shocking and disgraceful treatment. If he passed away in there hospital because treatment was not administered who's taking the blame.
According to the report in Udon-News it were

1. The big Provincial or Government Hospital, which is the one where almost all people are automatically transferred to by the first responder system in case of accidents
2. Then friends of the victim asked "an international hospital in Udon Thani" but they declined too without 200.000 down payment. They are not calling names but it must have been AEK Udon.

Bangkok Hospital Udon finally accepted the existing and well known health insurance policy.

In this special case the victim had health insurance by a global actor. But two things make me scared about potential others:
1. Why don't these hospitals have someone who can quickly check whether a certain health insurance will be accepted instead of a heavy down payment? I know Paolo= Panjavey= Bangkok Hospital Udon has.
2. In case of an uninsured victim, they demand 200.000 Baht in advance. Is this incl. cremation?

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 14, 2016, 5:05 am

Talking about hospitals, a few years ago, following a mugging , I was taken to AEK Udon where until my insurance details were conformed little treatment was offered , except life threatening problems . After that I have never gone back there, it is in my book a very expensive cash Cow where , if you have no cash you are kicked out to fend for yourself. Apart from Udon general I would use Wattana, both places treat Humans as per the Hippocratic oath not seek cash up front in cases of emergency.

monkeyman
udonmap.com

Post by monkeyman » February 14, 2016, 8:17 am

Don't want to turn this into an AEK bashing thread but it is best to warn others,, especially any newbies to Udon .. I have certainly heard some horror stories over the years ... including misdiagnosis, refusal to treat emergency victims (one was rumored to have been left to die on the front steps) and of course whopping hospital bills.. the best reports have always come from Udon Wattana, the Army Hospital with the new Bangkok Udon Hospital now getting a lot of positive reviews but a little more pricey.......... you never know when its your time to need them 8)

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » February 14, 2016, 9:18 am

Just for FYI, for those that have private medical insurance you can pre register at any of the private hospitals that will accept your insurance. The hospital will verify your insurance and enter your personal & insurance info into their system and you'll receive a patient card. If involved in accident or have a health issue than its that much easier to get medical assistance. I'm registered at Bangkok hospital and I know Wattana will also pre register.

Pooclover
udonmap.com
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack-bar sucking sickly sausage rolls

Post by Pooclover » February 14, 2016, 10:44 am

So the reported info is wrong on the internet...? It is not the Government hospital that refused treatment until a deposit of 200,000 was paid in advance...?? If so not surprised at AEK… what can you expect from an establishment whose boss pays for a hit on a monk...? :roll:

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 14, 2016, 2:50 pm

I think it's fair to remember that both AEK and Bangkok Hospital have been left holding the bills for expats/tourists who have skipped out without paying their bills.

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » February 14, 2016, 3:56 pm

On the subject of up-front payments, I took a family member into Bkk hospital one evening. He needed a surgery but would need to wait until early the next morning due to having just eaten. I was asked for a large deposit from a guy from the billing office. Had a polite disagreement with him in that I wanted to see a detailed billing estimate which he said he couldn't produce. Finally agreed that I would pay it by credit card, but I didn't have it with me. Went home to get the card, but when I returned he was gone for the night.

Surgery was completed the next morning as scheduled. The guy from billing came to the recovery room the next day wanting the deposit. I said surely you can provide me with a bill of costs up to this point now? He said he'd try. Didn't hear back from him. Checked out that evening and paid the bill which turned out to be about 20,000 baht less that the deposit he was asking for.

So, in my experience yes they ask for a deposit, but care was not deigned without the deposit.
Your experience may differ.
UFF DA!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 14, 2016, 4:01 pm

it might not be fair, but to be honest demanding 200k up front is an insult to injury, they were the same to me and that is why I will never use AEK Udon ever again, patients are a means to make money , the fact that they might actually help you get better is a mere coincidence, I forgot to say, that until I regained full consciousness, did I find I could not eat and that their preliminary examination failed to spot a broken jaw , that took another 25000 for that operation, so for being fair, I will bow to your obvious knowledge, and if a foreigner failed to pay a bill, that in my book is the fault of the hospital NOT the foreigner as it is hard to leave a hospital without anyone knowing.

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » February 15, 2016, 8:42 am

parrot wrote:I think it's fair to remember that both AEK and Bangkok Hospital have been left holding the bills for expats/tourists who have skipped out without paying their bills.
That may or may not be true but it is no excuse to deny care to someone in dire need especially when that person was attacked by a gang of young thugs. Actually the patient in a case like this should have his bills covered for him.

BigRick808
udonmap.com

Post by BigRick808 » February 15, 2016, 11:07 am

A very good lesson here is to buy insurance.

How many of you guys are going down to the hospital and chip in a few thousand baht as an act of compassion?

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » February 15, 2016, 11:12 am

In the USA these days there is a new class of crime, that of the "hate crime". It increases the sentence on a conviction I believe. If I recall, this gang only targeted westerners, therefore one would think that racism might have played a part in this attack. If the Thai government wants to make sure that the tourism industry is strong in the future, they might want to think about this.

You'd think TAT would pick up the hospital bill in this sort of case, surely.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 15, 2016, 11:18 am

BigRick808 wrote:How many of you guys are going down to the hospital and chip in a few thousand baht as an act of compassion?
Why would anyone need to do this??
The guy has comprehensive insurance - which makes the hospital's request for an 'up front' payment even poorer business practice..

Return to “Udon Thani News”