Residence Reporting Issue

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » November 25, 2015, 2:02 pm

Not an intention to scaremonger, just a heads up.

Don't know if others are aware of a newish Facebook page called Expats in Issan/Northeast Thailand. Seems members are particularly living around Korat.

An opening post on there says "It was reported twice this week that the person where a foreigner lives must report the address to immigration.
It seems that even if you live in your wife's house, they ask that. The fine seems to be 800 baht if you don't. They have forms for property owners to report foreigners living in their house.
This is a very old rule of the immigration act. They seem to enforce it, at least in Nakhon Ratchasima."

There are various replies including "but I tell you every 90 days", "I've got a yellow book", "I've applied for a marriage visa, x years, same address" etc.

I did notice one response from an Udon resident.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 25, 2015, 2:14 pm

I usually use the 'preponderance of the evidence' rule when it comes to immigration concerns: Thaivisa and udonmap are my guides, but even then, 'he said, she said, I heard, a friend of my friend told me' posts usually get flushed in the trash. That MOO has worked well for me over the years.......I haven't gone into an immigration office yet and been surprised by some new fangled rule. I'm waiting to see what happens to those embassy income letters dated 2015.......post Jan 1. I'm just a guessing guy, but guessing an Oct 2015 letter will be accepted by immigration in Jan.

kubotatim
udonmap.com

Post by kubotatim » November 25, 2015, 2:28 pm

where I go in Loei letter only good for 1 month.

waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » November 25, 2015, 3:54 pm

Brian Davis wrote:Not an intention to scaremonger, just a heads up.
We had the topic and some more details about the motivations here:

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/n ... 38036.html

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 25, 2015, 3:57 pm

The residence reporting has been around as long as I have been here, ,to the extent that when they moved the office I was asked to renew my permission to live where I was living from the house owner.
It seems that even a yellow book was then NOT acceptable. Following on from the various administrative foul ups involving Immigration at various places in this country and the higher terrorist threat from a multitude of places , all they are really doing is crossing the T and dotting the I on every application, I expect that after a couple of years they will have not only computerised the current expat population but also be reasonably up to date with recent movements

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » November 25, 2015, 5:20 pm

waanjai wrote:We had the topic .....
Sorry Waanjai and others for not checking. I did think it peculiar that a wife might be required to notify Immigration that her own husband was staying at 'their' house (in my case, permanent here), with 90 day reporting etc.
And yes Parrot, I agree that Udonmap is a great source of information on this sort of thing and has many who do 'know the ropes'.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » November 25, 2015, 5:49 pm

Hmm!!!!!!!!!!!!! Each office being different who knows. But, I list myself living in my wife's house for about ten years now. If it should come i up easy enough thing to fix. I doubt that was the intent but if you tick someone off, they do have ways to get your intention. So if the person goes by the letter of the Law probably need to do that. But unless asked, I'm not bringing it up.

I do bring a copy of my passport in my wallet and use it when we overnight in a hotel.
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”