Holiday in Laos over New Year?

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
MrFixer
udonmap.com

Post by MrFixer » October 8, 2015, 4:33 pm

I am planning to get married around 23/24th December - it will be a very small affair, no booze or partying. After that we have some free time until about 3rd Jan. Would like to take some holiday between about 26th Dec - 3rd Jan. I don't really want to stay in Udon because travelled a lot around Udon, Khon Kaen etc over the years. I think places like Chiang Mai etc will be really busy over New Year. Never been to Laos though and thinking it could be quiet.

Can anyone recomment a one week tour of Laos (i.e. places to visit, good hotels). I would prefer to drive, but know nothing of hire car availablity or driving conditions in Laos...
Any comments appreciated.

neeemu
udonmap.com

Post by neeemu » October 8, 2015, 4:44 pm

Good luck having a quiet wedding in Thailand, unless it's purely a registry office one.

As for Laos I'd avoid Vientienne personally but its worth seeing if its your first time. Luang Prabang should be nice, not sure about weather that time of year though.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » October 8, 2015, 6:16 pm

MrFixer wrote:I am planning to get married around 23/24th December - it will be a very small affair, no booze or partying. After that we have some free time until about 3rd Jan. Would like to take some holiday between about 26th Dec - 3rd Jan. I don't really want to stay in Udon because travelled a lot around Udon, Khon Kaen etc over the years. I think places like Chiang Mai etc will be really busy over New Year. Never been to Laos though and thinking it could be quiet.

Can anyone recomment a one week tour of Laos (i.e. places to visit, good hotels). I would prefer to drive, but know nothing of hire car availablity or driving conditions in Laos...
Sounds like you met your future wife on the Internet???.
Forget Laos get a flight to Chiang Mai.
Visit the Royal Garden show it is on in January, The elephant village, The orchid farm (on the way to the Elephant show) Chiang Mai Zoo & Doi Suthep after the Zoo.
Lots of places to visit for a memorable Honeymoon & enjoy Chaing Mai.
Ask around for TUK Tuk prices or taxi prices to visit these places not on organised tours they are a rip off especially if you book them through your Hotel
I am sure your wife will appreciate it more than Laos.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 8, 2015, 6:52 pm

I would recommend flying from Viang Chan (Vientiane) to Luang Namtha for really beautiful scenery, rafting, kayaking and visiting/staying in tribal (Akha) villages. An alternative might be to fly to Xiang Khouang (Phonsavan) and going to look at the Plain of Jars. However I think you would find Luang Namtha has more to offer.

A third choice would be Luang Prabang, the ancient capital, which has much in common with Chiang Mai, but it is smaller and quieter. The language, culture, architecture et al will remind one of Chiang Mai. Back in the 15th century they were brothers-in-arms against the Thai kingdom of Ayutthaya, and Chiang Mai was under Lao control for awhile in the 16th century. People in both places are sticky rice eaters. Take a look on the internet at Luang Namtha, and Luang Prabang. I like them both.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

fantom
udonmap.com

Post by fantom » October 8, 2015, 6:54 pm

1 or maybe 2 nts Vientiane (Mixok Inn is ok), FLY - repeat FLY! to Luang Phabang, stay there until your last day, when FLY back to Vientiane and cross bridge back to Thailand. Many good guesthouses in LP, recommend Sakkarine GH if you can find it, a few metres off street of same name. Pre-book your Lao Airlines domestic flights. Expect cold nights in LP, we suffered 3 degrees one night two years ago, though that was unusual.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » October 8, 2015, 7:20 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:I would recommend flying from Viang Chan (Vientiane) to Luang Namtha for really beautiful scenery, rafting, kayaking and visiting/staying in tribal (Akha) villages. An alternative might be to fly to Xiang Khouang (Phonsavan) and going to look at the Plain of Jars. However I think you would find Luang Namtha has more to offer.

A third choice would be Luang Prabang, the ancient capital, which has much in common with Chiang Mai, but it is smaller and quieter. The language, culture, architecture et al will remind one of Chiang Mai. Back in the 15th century they were brothers-in-arms against the Thai kingdom of Ayutthaya, and Chiang Mai was under Lao control for awhile in the 16th century. People in both places are sticky rice eaters. Take a look on the internet at Luang Namtha, and Luang Prabang. I like them both.

Laan Ya Moo
We have all read your exploits in Laos.
You have not answered his question about car hire etc.
He wants a Honeymoon not a Cheap Charlie Holiday

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 8, 2015, 7:27 pm

Laan Ya Moo
He wants a Honeymoon not a Cheap Charlie Holiday[/quote]

Who said anything about a cheap charlie holiday? I am talking about adventure, the outdoors, and sightseeing not sitting in a bar anywhere.

I did not say anything about car hire because I know nothing about it as I do not drive. The roads in Laos tend to be narrow, and pot-holed with many hair-pin turns.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » October 8, 2015, 8:06 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:Laan Ya Moo
He wants a Honeymoon not a Cheap Charlie Holiday
Who said anything about a cheap charlie holiday? I am talking about adventure, the outdoors, and sightseeing not sitting in a bar anywhere.

I did not say anything about car hire because I know nothing about it as I do not drive. The roads in Laos tend to be narrow, and pot-holed with many hair-pin turns.[/quote]

Read the original post.
He is getting married January & wants to take his wife on holiday after getting married.
Do you think she would be happy going on a bus trip in Laos to another country where he needs a Visa & maybe she needs permission to enter.
Or a few days in Chang Mai with people she can communicate with & also help her new husband enjoy himself showing him Thai life without the family being involved.
Maybe they will have a good time & he will get to know his wife better.

faranginUTH
udonmap.com

Post by faranginUTH » October 8, 2015, 8:21 pm

Op asked about Laos
LYM mentioned nothing about a long bus ride and recommended flying in

"if she is from issan" she can communicate with Lao people, if not issan she can understand and get by with the language.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 8, 2015, 8:40 pm

pal52 wrote:
Sounds like you met your future wife on the Internet???.
Goodness - what a huge, evidence-free assumption. :shock:

If you took a moment to look at Mr Fixer's posting history, you would see that he has been in this relationship for a number of years. [-X

The rest of your "suggestions" are equally wide of the mark. [-(

fantom
udonmap.com

Post by fantom » October 8, 2015, 9:08 pm

pal52, Laos entry formalities at the bridge are quite simple, particularly if the lady has a passport rather than just her Thai id card; farang can buy visa on arrival for THB12OO. If the lady speaks Isaan-Lao she will have no problem communicating in Laos. I agree that a lengthy bus trip in Laos could spoil a honeymoon which is why I suggested flying to and from Luang Phabang (or Prabang). If you read the post by Laan Ya Mo you will see that he also suggested flying to Luang Namtha or Xiang Khouang rather than taking a bus. Yes, Chiang Mai is good, but I prefer Luang Phabang. By the way, the OP is getting married in December, not January.

MrFixer
udonmap.com

Post by MrFixer » October 8, 2015, 9:37 pm

Many thanks for all your replies - didn't expect so many in such a short time.

As to my future wife - no, didn't meet her on the internet. She is not particularly computer literate. I have been working around Asia for quite a few years and met her some years ago the 'old fashioned' way (friend of a friend's wife). In fact I have known her about four years (I take things slowly). The wedding WILL be a quiet one - register office and a small ceremony with her parents. I have yet to dip into my pocket to buy booze for the local villagers, despite being asked a few times!
I have spent a lot of the last few years in Thailand (mainly Udon and KK) and have also visited Chiang Mai quite a few times - in fact I have visited all of the tourist parts of Thailand apart from Phuket. Usually we have taken holidays outside Thailand (Bali, Singapore, HK etc)., but this time we only have a week and I have never been to Laos - heard good reports though. A quick scan of Agoda reveals hotel prices a bit above Thailand, which is a surprise.

Return to “Travel & Transport”